All the old people out during the day

I found the OP's post to be very amusing! Probably because it makes fun of old people, which is kinda who the majority of us are 'becoming", day by day., YES:confused:?

Tiptoe-ing into oldness is quite an enlightening journey. I remember my dad telling me once "getting old sucks", and my inner dialogue said "well, not me...". I am super-slowly (ha) joining the ranks of said old people! My only admission to joining the ranks so far is that it sucks to wake up. Not a simple endeavor for moi. If I had to do anything of consequence upon awaking, like move fast, I'd....fail.

My mother, who is *super-old* (always 24 years on my horizon and something I can not or will not focus my eyes on), now lets out sighs and gasps and holds on for dear life when I am driving and she is a passenger...and I am simply driving the speed limit.

We have some internal social media at work. One fellow who claims to be 35 made some highly critical remarks about "Baby Boomers" (who, as some of us recall, were quite critical of THEIR elders back in the day).

One criticism was about older employees still insisting on using PCs, which are so old-fashioned. I pointed out that the screens on smartphones can be hard to read. He blew that off with a remark about how by the time HE was old enough to collect Social Security, medicine will have fixed those pesky eye aging problems! So, he thinks he has till he's 67 before presbyopia sets in :D I think he'll be getting a surprise in less than 10 years.

Amethyst

I found the OP's post to be very amusing! Probably because it makes fun of old people, which is kinda who the majority of us are 'becoming", day by day., YES:confused:?

It's pretty much like I said. People often need some other people to hate. In the past, the landscape was littered with scapegoats, and OTOH people tended to love and respect their parents. Now, almost all those scapegoats are off the table, and many people are neutral at best toward their parents.

Great! a new and sorely needed class of scapegoats is thus made available.

Ha

I've been working from home a lot this year (one of Megacorp's "enticements" to keep me from retiring just yet) so get to be out in the neighborhood (gym or errands before the "officially" workday starts, or a mid-day lunch). I really don't notice any issues, other than there seem to be more folks honking behind me as I drive down the road :).

Just kidding... but we live in a surburban/rural area and have never noticed the impact of the "old" people when going out and about. I do more notice the rush hour traffic and do what I can to work around it.

The big thing we notice when walking around our neighborhood is how we rarely see kids anyone, as ocmpared to when we moved here 20+ years ago. I guess we were part of that wave in the arly 90's than moved in with kids when housing was much cheaper and the overall economy was better. Up until about 6-7 years ago we'd always be running into our kids' friends and their parents whenever we went out. Now, with higher housing costs certainly one factor, we can walk around for a couple of hours and barely see anyone else, and hardly any kids.

Another factor is that kids don't go outside as much as they did a generation or two ago. Their parents are afraid of them getting snatched; their amusements (computer games) are mostly indoors; and I've heard more than one youngster claim that playing outside is "icky."

Amethyst

The big thing we notice when walking around our neighborhood is how we rarely see kids anyone, as ocmpared to when we moved here 20+ years ago. .

A screwball society. Instead of looking out for the kids, busybodys call police, who arest and put in jail the parents who happen to allow their kids play outside without being present.

Truly a sick control freak society.

Well this old lady went to lunch-dinner at Applebee's. Now wouldn't you think that being retired would take the rush out and make you the most patient a person could be? Seems not. Our waiter was particularly slow, flirting with the ladies busing tables (both young pretty blonds), busing tables as he went, all over the place one minute then disappearing for the next fifteen minutes, etc. Finally, when it took about a half an hour to wait for the bill then get it processed, I found myself really irritated and impatient. Doesn't make sense but I guess you stay in your original skin. I never have been patient with people. With everything else I have the patience of Job.

Well this old lady went to lunch-dinner at Applebee's. Now wouldn't you think that being retired would take the rush out and make you the most patient a person could be? Seems not. Our waiter was particularly slow, flirting with the ladies busing tables (both young pretty blonds), busing tables as he went, all over the place one minute then disappearing for the next fifteen minutes, etc. Finally, when it took about a half an hour to wait for the bill then get it processed, I found myself really irritated and impatient. Doesn't make sense but I guess you stay in your original skin. I never have been patient with people. With everything else I have the patience of Job.

When I get some bad food or service, at places like that, I go to their website and give them feedback and ask to have the store's manager call me back. They always do within a day or two so I can give them more detailed info about what I didn't like.

I had a waitress at TGIFridays a few months ago who was a little like your waitress although she did some other things I did not appreciate. I explained this to the manager who told me he would speak to her about it. I rarely eat at TGIFridays, preferring Applebee's instead. (My ladyfriend had a gift card for TGIF so we were there to use it.)

Another factor is that kids don't go outside as much as they did a generation or two ago. Their parents are afraid of them getting snatched; their amusements (computer games) are mostly indoors; and I've heard more than one youngster claim that playing outside is "icky."

That is sad. Our signal to come home was when the street lights went on, and more often than not I'd be so sweaty and dirty that Mom insisted I take a bath immediately before changing clothes. There was a small creek a couple blocks away, just the right size for dam-building with rocks and sand, and to catch the occasional frog or crayfish.

Then when I started flying control line model airplanes that threw dirty castor oil (used in the fuel as a lubricant) into the mix.

With all this talk about invisible old people, kind of gives me a feeling of "The Sixth Sense" here, and we are all just walking around as Bruce Willis' character.

I used to back out of a parking space with scarcely a look. Now, you would think I had fallen asleep, I back up so slowly. Age certainly has something to do with it. That and the fact that in the metroplex there is always someone coming. I figure no one will remember how long it takes me to get out, but if I hit something or somebody, it will never be forgotten.

Sent from my AT100 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I either back in or try to find a pull-through spot and I'm "only" 49. I also park at the less congested end of a parking lot, I dont mind walking. Parking lots can be very busy; pedestrians and cars seem to come out of nowhere. The one place I have to back out of is my driveway. There is a sidewalk leading to a popular park that crosses my driveway and I am so worried I am going to hit someone as I am backing out.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Back
Top Bottom