Alternatives to owning a car?

I decided to check out a few trips that I take all the time if I used Uber....

A car is (well, can be) cheaper!!!

Today, did not go to the gym (which I should have).... so that is two trips saved...

Picked up DD from school to go to dentist.... one trip..... then went to the grocery store to buy my billion dollar lottery ticket.... then drove home.... now, I guess you could have combined them in one Uber trip, but there was waiting time etc. this...

Wait 30 minutes and then drive to dentist...

After dentist drive back home....

Then drive DD to music lesson...

Then drive back home....

SOOO, seven trip in one day.... say at $5 to $30 per trip...

Heck, the SUV cost 4 to 5X!!! Maybe I should become a driver and make some money from mine....

Heck, driving to the airport is a $120 to $150 trip... if I could get a round trip with somebody else that is good money...

We can take a Skytrain to the airport. No parking fees. Great service. And when we have guests, we meet them at the station.

Groceries will be a big part of a decision to go car-free.

Find out if some of the better supermarkets in your area will deliver for a fee.

Groceries will be a big part of a decision to go car-free.

Find out if some of the better supermarkets in your area will deliver for a fee.

Luckily, that won't be a problem in my case. Only blocks away.

I just checked out a few trips, myself. Just to get to work, a 2.5 mile trip, would cost $5-8. So, that's $10-16 per day. $50-80 per week. ~$215-$347 per month. And that's just commuting...I do a lot of other running around, besides that.

Although, realistically, if I was without a car I'd end up either walking that, or riding my bike. I did walk it once, when the car wouldn't start and left me stranded at work. Took about 38 mins to walk home at a fast stride. Riding my bike might be a bit iffy, as one of the roads is pretty dangerous, but people do it.

And, if I was car-less, I'd probably cut out a lot of my extra running around. For instance, I go up to Pennsylvania a few times per year to attend various classic car shows with my friends up there. According to Uber, to get from my house to my one friend's house in Pennsylvania would cost between $132-176. Each way. Needless to say, if I was car-less, those types of trips would be out!

Today, did not go to the gym (which I should have).... so that is two trips saved...

Picked up DD from school to go to dentist.... one trip..... then went to the grocery store to buy my billion dollar lottery ticket.... then drove home.... now, I guess you could have combined them in one Uber trip, but there was waiting time etc. this...

Wait 30 minutes and then drive to dentist...

After dentist drive back home....

Then drive DD to music lesson...

Then drive back home....

SOOO, seven trip in one day.... say at $5 to $30 per trip...

Heck, the SUV cost 4 to 5X!!! Maybe I should become a driver and make some money from mine....

Heck, driving to the airport is a $120 to $150 trip... if I could get a round trip with somebody else that is good money...

I posted here last year when we sold our second car. No ill affects. Was a great decision.

We now walk to grocery store, gym, dentist, etc. Started to feel silly driving to the gym to exercise, when its only a 10 minute walk away. When you are retired, why not walk?

I am now thinking about going car free. We are contemplating selling the house and remaining car and moving into an apartment, in the same walkable neighbourhood.

I love having an electric car. It doesn't have the maintenance requirements of a combustion engine. The range of most Nissan Leafs seem to fit your requirements. But there is the annoying registration fees and insurance.

I would reconsider the bike as part of your transportation choices. I have spoken to many people who simply feel uncomfortable riding their bike in traffic. With some guidance, they learn how to ride safely and with confidence. There are courses you can attend from the LAB or simply look online for tips. And/or visit your local bike store and ask them to introduce you to a bicycle commuter.

By adding a bike to your transportation options, it will add 5+ miles to your easy commute. I do it often, including today! 30 degrees, nice sunny day. 5.5 mile commute.

For the biking consider are there viable routes via side streets that parallel the major streets? I lived in Houston and by getting to know the side streets was able to go the 16 miles downtown (not to work) by bike. (The main street I avoided was an 8 lane street) Grocery stores within a mile or two were easy and add panniers to the bike and you can get a fair amount of groceries on the bike. If the town is flatish look at a three wheeled bike because it likley has a basket that will haul even more. Of course you do need a helmet, as well as wearing bright colored clothing, perhaps even in garish colors so drivers will notice you. If riding at night is needed now there are led vests that make you very visible far more than the old reflective vests. In fact with a three wheeler you might even get a battery powered led light string and put in on the back of the basket.

Last edited:
My dream location is a high rise complex with a shuttle bus to the metro and other major locations as well as walking distance to a restaurant row.
I could use my car once or twice a month there.

NO!

You can have my car when you pry my dead body out with the jaws of life.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :D :rolleyes:

I grew up in the wrong era - Hot Rod Lincoln, V-8 Ford, West Coast car culture, etc.

I still have dreams of a garage with retro 32 Ford or 1963 split window Vette.

heh heh heh - old age may someday dictate otherwise but I won't like it. Now the Wife has a cousin in NEW YORK CITY and loves the 'no car' visits every year or so.

Several companies make airbag jackets and full suits for motorcycle and scooter riders. Kind of pricey though at at least several thousand dollars but still cheaper than a trip to the ER.

This is one of them: Tech-Air™ Street Airbag System | Alpinestars

Actually what you would want is motorcycle armour such as described at:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_armor
Which protects against impacts, but also abrasion, since on a scooter you could get a bad case of road rash as well. It is hip knee, elbow and shoulder protection as well as abrasion protection. Abrasion protection is why leather jackets and pants are also used on motorcycles to protect against road rash if you slide down the road in a high speed crash.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom