Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Any advice / experience in Washington State
Old 09-04-2005, 12:13 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

REW: You reminded me of my Bull story: In my youth while attending college, I worked at the local bus depot. In August a number of large (20 gal.) containers came thru filled with bull semen and liquid nitrogen. My job was to transfer baggage and packages between buses. One busy Friday afternoon (all the college students took buses home in the good old days), my bus arrived, I opened the cargo door, and slid the container toward me so that I could lift it over to the cart. As I tipped it onto my thighs, about a cup (maybe only half a cup, but it felt like a cup) of liquid nitrogen splashed on my . . . um . . . private area. (The cap had not been secured properly.) All of a sudden steam started pouring out of my . . . area, and I dropped the container and ran for the baggage room. I started pulling on my zipper flap to keep the cold away. All the students, girls, and other passengers watched as I ran the forty feet to the door. Just before I got to the door, I realized I had been hurrying on my tip toes the entire time as the steam poured out, and I held out the crotch area of my tight blue jeans. Girls laughed. I was young. I was embarassed.

I stepped inside the baggage room doors, dropped my pants to my ankles, and examined my . . . um . . . frozen areas after pulling out the spandex on my shorts. Just then my older co-worker stepped in and said "Are you alright?." I said "I think so." Then he said "Jeez Greg, the girls weren't THAT good looking out there."

I drove to the ER for treatment (another embarrassing story I can't talk about--involving middle age nurses). I took a month of kidding from bus drivers and ticket agents. A general and horrid experience for a young man about town.

The only good that came out of it was a story that can't be told in mixed company. Suffice to say it involved a young lady-student and ointment some time later in the healing process.

--Greg

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2005, 12:21 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON
The only good that came out of it ...
Geez, Martha, I sure hope you heard this story (from him!) BEFORE the nuptuals...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 12:44 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... about a cup (maybe only half a cup, but it felt like a cup) of liquid nitrogen splashed on my . . . um . . . private area.
Out of respect for Martha, I'm going to restrain myself and not respond to this post.

REW

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 12:51 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
CycleInvestor, if you move to WA and convert your regular IRAs to Roths, then move to Oregon you chould have the best of both worlds (withdrawing from a Roth is not a taxable event).
This is high on my list of eventual possibilities, unless I decide I like Washington too
much to leave after living there for a decade or so.

Quote:
I see a lot of talk about Eugene (know it well), but not much about Bend. Howcum?
Bend used to be a very nice town of about 10000 a decade or 2 ago, but it has
been "discovered", and now has about 65000 people, much higher housing prices,
even some traffic trouble from the rapid growth.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:40 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...about a cup (maybe only half a cup, but it felt like a cup) of liquid nitrogen splashed on my . . . um . . . private area.
--Greg
It's a shame you weren't working at the bus depot in Edinburgh. Might have saved you a trip to the emergency room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
The streets of Edinburgh on a frosty New Year's eve is a place not to be missed. Those raven haired Scottish lasses can really warm the cockles.
Sorry. Couldn't resist.

REW

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 01:45 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Hey, I thought you were going to spare me. :P

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 02:09 PM   #47

REW,
his cockles would have been steaming none the less but in a better way.

Hogmany can be nearly as cold as Liquid Nitrogen but a few Newcastle Browns will fix a reveler right up.

Good story Apoc, I'm considering buying some thermal underwear and trying that out to impress the ladies.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:34 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
You can come and clean.*
That is really sweet, Martha.* Anything is OK, just as long as I will be near you, Hon.

Ha
Old 09-07-2005, 03:27 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a friend who left Seattle a few years back, sold his house in what he considered an overpriced market (he should see it now), moved to Austin, TX, bought an equivalent house for much less and basically ER'd on the difference.

If I was living in California right now looking at the real estate bubble I'd be considering a similar move to someplace cheaper. Although Seattle itself isn't much cheaper, there are of course other places that are if you like smaller towns. Bellingham and Port Townsend come to mind.

My tactic was similar: sell in Seattle and move to Vancouver, BC. The real estate isn't really any cheaper in Vancouver but the other cost of living factors are.

Check out my blog's Washington State section at Travel Blogs Washington for more info and photos if interested.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:32 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you aren't Canadian how is it that you can just move in?
Old 09-12-2005, 07:37 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Ah but I am Canadian--well a dual citizen. Handy that.

But immigration to Canada isn't so difficult really for many people, it works on a point system. Especially if you're still working age (which gets you a few more points even if you don't plan to work). More points for college degrees and post-grad degrees and for relatives north of the border. There's even a handy calculator on the Canadian consulate website that'll estimate in advance your points. (Sorry I don't have the link for it but it's easy enough to Google).

And actually if you don't want to work there might be other programs too for retirees. Not sure how that works.