Are you the 1%?

Living in a very cost of living area like SF is a luxury unto itself. It is like complaining about the cost to insure and maintain a Rolls Royce.

+1

Choosing to be house poor is just that, a choice. Choosing to live in the sub-1% most expensive real estate in the USA/world is well .. also a choice.

Really? You don't know "anyone" with ~$372k and you live in the US?.

Around 1/2 my friends have military retirement checks and pull in close to or over 6 figures from their day jobs and I'd wager that most of them have much less than $100k net worth outside of their homes. They do generally have big houses, 2-3 cars, 5-7 flat screen TV's throughout their houses etc though.... heck, at least one of them I'm certain still lives paycheck to paycheck.

I have 1 friend that is actively trying to increase his net worth and he'll be FIRE ready around the same time as me.

If one has read the Millionaire Next Door, you know that looks can be deceiving. I seriously doubt that most people that know me have a clue of my net worth with my 10 year old Ford, ragged jeans and cheap smartphone.

I'm not privy to most peoples savings accounts but there is no one i'm aware of that has that much in savings/investable assests. I'm not counting home equity. I live in small town Wisconsin and don't know anyone with a six figure income either so that has a lot to do with it. I have less than half the $372K and I have more than the majority.

While your friends and relatives may not have $372K in net worth, or have a six figure income, there are probably many people in your community who do. People who run successful businesses. Professionals such as your doctor (assuming he/she has been in practice for some time). Your dentist. Lawyers. Undertakers. Etc. They may not flaunt it.

I know countless people who have minimal savings and/or investments that have a fully paid off house and a decent COLA pension. If they sold their homes and converted the value of their pension to a lump sum, they would all be millionaires.

While your friends and relatives may not have $372K in net worth, or have a six figure income, there are probably many people in your community who do. People who run successful businesses. Professionals such as your doctor (assuming he/she has been in practice for some time). Your dentist. Lawyers. Undertakers. Etc. They may not flaunt it.

I'm in my 30's and most people I know are in their 30's or early 40's. Maybe they just haven't had enough time to reach the higher savings yet. I took the time to think about everyone I know and I definitely don't know anyone with a six figure income. In fact I only know one person who makes over $70K/yr and there is no way that persons investable net worth is even close to $372K.

......... Undertakers. Etc. They may not flaunt it.
I've noticed that my local undertaker drives an expensive Cadillac station wagon and usually wears a nice suit.

"don't know anyone..." That's interesting. It means you ask everyone their net worth?

I've never asked that question to anyone, friend, family or foe in my life.

I suspect there are a lot of people in my neighborhood who are like me, with a decent NW but are not flaunting it. Looks mean nothing.

But is your case for your cheap smart phone a ziploc bag? :)
No, I don't want to be a show off. :D

No, I don't want to be a show off. :D

I deleted my post because I thought it might be a bit over the top, but I really do just have my cheap smart phone in a ziploc. Actually it is not even a ziploc. I think it is an Ikea plastic bag. :)

"don't know anyone..." That's interesting. It means you ask everyone their net worth?

I've never asked that question to anyone, friend, family or foe in my life.

I suspect there are a lot of people in my neighborhood who are like me, with a decent NW but are not flaunting it. Looks mean nothing.

Do you claim to know everyone who you meet/see/encounter? If I said "I don't know anyone that won the lottery" I wouldn't be claiming that no one I'd ever encountered in my life had won the lottery, I would be stating that none of my family/friends that I "know" had done so.

I deleted my post because I thought it might be a bit over the top, but I really do just have my cheap smart phone in a ziploc. Actually it is not even a ziploc. I think it is an Ikea plastic bag. :)

I use a ziplock to keep my phone dry when I run or work outside--does that count? :)

You all have a cell phone and an ziplock bag? Luxury!

I'm in my 30's and most people I know are in their 30's or early 40's. Maybe they just haven't had enough time to reach the higher savings yet. I took the time to think about everyone I know and I definitely don't know anyone with a six figure income. In fact I only know one person who makes over $70K/yr and there is no way that persons investable net worth is even close to $372K.

Looks can be very deceiving. On the surface a guy who works for me would seem to have a higher net worth. He has a brand new Dodge 3500 to tow his 3 year old 34' fifth wheel. He has a used BMW convertible along with a 6 yr old Honda Gold Wing. His wife drives a 3 yr old Jeep Cherokee. Their house is a two story 3/3 with full basement and 2 stall attached. He works for me and I know he basically doesn't have a p.. t. p... in. If he cashed out everything today he would have 2k in his pocket and less than 50K in his 401K. I on the other hand drive a 17yr old Chevy truck, DW a 7 yr old Acadia. 100K/yr sit on the couch and watch Oprah pension(COLA) (DW and I combined) and a couple hundred K total in 401K's and another couple hundred K in combined home equity (3 properties). Now from the outside looking in who looks richer?

An additional thought is "I don't care". A few years ago when all the occupy wall street stuff was happening I looked up where we stood but other than that I really don't care. We are all so blessed to live in this country of vast opportunity. I lucky and I know it.

If one has read the Millionaire Next Door, you know that looks can be deceiving.

Loved that book!

I seriously doubt that most people that know me have a clue of my net worth with my 10 year old Ford, ragged jeans and cheap smartphone.
We're in the same boat, but my Ford is a little newer and I don't own a smartphone. ;)

I never read the book, just the excerpts. I am the book. I have a brand new Google Pixel and a free VR thingy and my phone is in a factory polycarbonate clear case.

Yeah Baby! I did the frugal and now it time to "blow that dough"!

Nah, I'm not a 1%er, I just have a very small overhead and a large "discretion" - :)

If you are not happy or healthy, then belonging to top 1% is just a meaningless stat. I know many 1 percentors who live a life at the bottom (mean, stingy, climbing over others dead & fallen bodies, accumulating wealth without being generous or even enjoy, ...). What's the joy in having $10 million if you live like you make $20000 a year?

I use a ziplock to keep my phone dry when I run or work outside--does that count? :)

You all have a cell phone and an ziplock bag? Luxury!

I am saving money to buy a smartphone. While waiting, I guess I can go ahead to get that ziplock bag.

If I fail to get enough for the smartphone or change my mind, that ziplock bag can be repurposed for another use, so will not go to waste.

Is that not a plan?

Living in a very high cost of living area like SF is a luxury unto itself. It is like complaining about the cost to insure and maintain a Rolls Royce.

I didn't see jkern's post as complaining. It is just that is not easy to "rebalance" a personal residence. In the Bay Area it is not that uncommon to see $1M+ homes in disrepair with elderly residents, peeling paint and dead lawns. After the original owners die, enter senior housing or a nursing home or decide to sell the houses usually get fixed up and flipped. Sometimes these houses were bought for $50K or less so the original residents were not necessarily ever high income types like the more recent purchasers have to be.

If you are not happy or healthy, then belonging to top 1% is just a meaningless stat

What's the joy in having $10 million if you live like you make $20000 a year?

Agree, but many people in the top 1% live below their means. Maybe not to the extent of your example. Makes a lot of sense in the accumulation phase but perhaps less in retirement? Anyway, how the wealthy live is a pretty personal thing as we have discussed many times. Appearances can certainly be deceiving, often intentionally so.

I didn't see jkern's post as complaining. It is just that is not easy to "rebalance" a personal residence. In the Bay Area it is not that uncommon to see $1M+ homes in disrepair with elderly residents, peeling paint and dead lawns. After the original owners die, enter senior housing or a nursing home or decide to sell the houses usually get fixed up and flipped. Sometimes these houses were bought for $50K or less so the original residents were not necessarily ever high income types like the more recent purchasers have to be.
I get that, but we were talking about how much in assets one needs to be wealthy. Whether you bought stock or a house 40 years ago, if the asset has appreciated to be worth a million dollars, you now have a net worth of a million dollars. One can choose to live in the expensive house and get by or move to a lower cost of living area and use the excess for other things.

I am saving money to buy a smartphone. While waiting, I guess I can go ahead to get that ziplock bag.

If I fail to get enough for the smartphone or change my mind, that ziplock bag can be repurposed for another use, so will not go to waste.

Is that not a plan?

While we are smartphone bragging .. I bought a new battery for my three year old Samsung mini. For $30 a good-as-new phone!

While we are smartphone bragging .. I bought a new battery for my three year old Samsung mini. For $30 a good-as-new phone!
What!? No used batteries available?

Back
Top Bottom