Best Mileage / Rewards Cards

ferco

Recycles dryer sheets
Trying to figure out what are the best mileage / rewards cards out there. Where are the landmines with these cards.

I just got the Fidelity AmEx card with 2% back on everything. Seems to be liked from what I read on Bogleheads. Catch is it that is dumped into a Fidelity account, but I have a cash account to receive it.

I kind of agree. In my case a 2% schwab card working the same way. Seems to have the most flexibility for me. (Disclaimer I have several FF and Hotel points so currently I am not really adding to these cards)

Tomcat98

I just got the Fidelity AmEx card with 2% back on everything. Seems to be liked from what I read on Bogleheads. Catch is it that is dumped into a Fidelity account, but I have a cash account to receive it.
I have the same card, along with the Fidelity VISA.

While the VISA only pays 1.5%, it does go to 2% if you charge above a certain amount each year.

I keep the VISA since we travel ex-CONUS during the year, and VISA is more accepted in those areas...

I got the British Airways VISA when the 100,000 mile points offer was in effect. I use it for everything but gas now as each year you spend $30,000 you get a voucher for a buy one get one free ticket anywhere they or their partners fly. I use PenFed VISA for gas as it is 5% cash back.
2fer

I am a big fan of the Starwood American Express. It pays one starpoint per $ which can be converted to FF miles at a 25% premium so net 1.25 FF miles per $. The starpoints can be worth as much as 3 cents each so roughly a 3% return. There is an annual fee of I think $60.

National City, now owned by PNC, has a 4-3-2-1 Everyday Rewards Cashback card that I am fond of.
The card offer is currently geographically restricted. I got in while they were still National City and had no state of residence restrictions.
The 4% on gasoline and automotive related purchases is my cashback money maker. 2% on groceries isn't too bad either. :D
There are monthly spending caps on all 4 percentage categories. My spending levels never exceed them.
No annual fee (you will need to re-verify this).
YMMV on terms and availability.

OK, let's meet back here in one year and see who made the most $ (normalized) on their charges. :D

Back
Top Bottom