Blow that Dough! - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ring a bell. I did it!

I booked us business class international round trip tickets (actually open jaw). I saw the price was like 2.3x economy, which was a way lower ratio than I’d seen before on my route.

Just in time too, apparently, because a couple of days after I reserved the tickets the price doubled.

We’ve opportunistically upgraded before, but this is the first time I’ve bought business class up front.

Now I don’t have to renew my Economy Plus subscription - at least for a long while.

I’m impressed! I just couldn’t do that ... just booked our tickets for a 7-week trip to Greece & Amsterdam. The difference between booking economy vs Premium Economy was over $3K for the two of us because we could get an award ticket in economy, but not in any other class. Business Class was almost $6K more. We can buy a lot of extra days on this trip for $3-$6K, so we’re going to suck it up and go coach. We’re even trying two low-cost carriers for some of the flights - Transavia and WOW Airlines.

Really, that doesn't sound that bad. Well I guess it depends on how much he already charged! But for a patio that seems reasonable. You will enjoy the patio for years.

So far, I'm in a little over 11 grand. I imagine it will be around fifteen when finished. But that's the cement work, the pavers, a new fence and that new deck. All redwood and all nicely crafted. After the patio we still have the xeriscape front yard to do with dry creek bed style with river rock and the other side more river rock and some planters for succulents.

I will enjoy the stuff as long as I live!

Right now I have a wonderful view of my back yard through the French doors that are about 15 feet in front of my easy chair. So, it's as though I had a patio with part of it being air conditioned. If I wanted to get out of the air conditioning into the 83F heat with 72% humidity (current conditions), I could just open the French doors. But I'd rather not..... :D I might feel differently if I lived where Robbie or kcowan live.

Exactly, this is mine from our Florida Room.... Isn't it great?

Attachments

• IMG_3108 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3108 (Medium).JPG
    168.9 KB · Views: 72
I’m impressed! I just couldn’t do that ... just booked our tickets for a 7-week trip to Greece & Amsterdam. The difference between booking economy vs Premium Economy was over $3K for the two of us because we could get an award ticket in economy, but not in any other class. Business Class was almost $6K more. We can buy a lot of extra days on this trip for $3-$6K, so we’re going to suck it up and go coach. We’re even trying two low-cost carriers for some of the flights - Transavia and WOW Airlines.
We ended up upgrading to business class international last year for around $3400. The difference this year was in that ballpark.

If we weren’t already chronically underspending I would put up with economy plus. DH certainly feels strongly about the traveling comfort. Currently our annual travel is not limited by budget.

We’re blowing even more on hotels in this trip.

These annual Europe trips are, for me, the most important thing we do.

So far, I'm in a little over 11 grand. I imagine it will be around fifteen when finished. But that's the cement work, the pavers, a new fence and that new deck. All redwood and all nicely crafted. After the patio we still have the xeriscape front yard to do with dry creek bed style with river rock and the other side more river rock and some planters for succulents.

I will enjoy the stuff as long as I live!

Oof! Well, if it makes you feel any better, that was cheaper than my giant landscaping project and yes, you will enjoy this for many years to come. For me it has almost been 2 years and I still get a kick out of seeing my yard the way I want it to be.

Last edited:
Your lawn looks great!

I grew grass here twice and failed. Shade, drought and gophers took a toll. We had a lot of water last year but we are back to drought this year.

Your lawn looks great!

I grew grass here twice and failed. Shade, drought and gophers took a toll. We had a lot of water last year but we are back to drought this year.
Thank you!! This was taken just two or three months after it was sodded, and it looks even better now. I love looking at it.

I think probably grass is more suited to our climate here than it is to yours - - we have had over 70" of rain for each of the past 3 years (which is a lot of rain!), plus lots of heat, humidity, and sunshine, and grass just loves that kind of weather. I never have to fertilize or water it. All I have to do is put out $35 every Wednesday (or every other Wednesday in Jan-Feb) for my lawn guy to mow and edge it. My yard is all grass, so nothing else is needed.

Here it is just before a rainstorm. I take more photos of my backyard than some parents take of their kids. :LOL: I just love looking at it.

Attachments

• stormcloud.jpg
    stormcloud.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Thank you!! This was taken just two or three months after it was sodded, and it looks even better now. I love looking at it.

I think probably grass is more suited to our climate here than it is to yours - - we have had over 70" of rain for each of the past 3 years (which is a lot of rain!), plus lots of heat, humidity, and sunshine, and grass just loves that kind of weather. I never have to fertilize or water it. All I have to do is put out $35 every Wednesday (or every other Wednesday in Jan-Feb) for my lawn guy to mow and edge it. My yard is all grass, so nothing else is needed.

Here it is just before a rainstorm. I take more photos of my backyard than some parents take of their kids. :LOL: I just love looking at it.

Great. Reminds me of the old days of our back yard in eastern New Orleans before the fish camp.

heh heh heh - Katrina was by far the biggest expense in ER. Moving, rehousing, remodeling, etc. And then selling at a loss in 2016. Mr Market dipped and more than recovered but still a sore spot. ER is not for sissy's.

:greetings10:

We ended up upgrading to business class international last year for around $3400. The difference this year was in that ballpark.

If we weren’t already chronically underspending I would put up with economy plus. DH certainly feels strongly about the traveling comfort. Currently our annual travel is not limited by budget.

We’re blowing even more on hotels in this trip.

These annual Europe trips are, for me, the most important thing we do.
Our strategy exactly. Although we do find good deals on VRBO/airbnb but hotels in between cities.

Speaking of blowing dough on home updating, in the last few years I have blown a BMW X5 on work on my 2 homes. I am done with it for a while.

Oops, forget about the solar system and battery storage project. That is still going on.

Our strategy exactly. Although we do find good deals on VRBO/airbnb but hotels in between cities.
I don’t give a hoot for US hotels which to me are boringly repetitive (exception being Hawaii but the prices on the truly awesome places are very high).

But our experience with European hotels is that they can be a real delight and contribute greatly to our enjoyment of the trip. Each is also unique - no bland sameness there (or with restaurants either). So we’ve gotten used to 4-star plus. We always stay in city center close to sites as we only walk or use public transportation. These locations are usually expensive ones.

We just bought a 2018 Honda Pilot Touring. Nice but ouch! But for all practical purposes it is replacing both a 2002 Odyssey and a 2005 Highlander. We pick it up Monday.

We just bought a 2018 Honda Pilot Touring. Nice but ouch! But for all practical purposes it is replacing both a 2002 Odyssey and a 2005 Highlander. We pick it up Monday.

Ouch indeed!! But what a nice vehicle and it should last for a long time.

I'm still spending on DD's April wedding. Things are costing a lot more than any new iPhone purchase. And I am talking only putting down deposits for vendor services. :blush:

There are a lot of "hidden" costs associated with weddings. And I mean hidden from Dad until the last minute! :LOL:

Oh my!!! Now that's blowing some dough. :) Hope he enjoys his new phone.

Yeah.

1. He’s had his current iPhone 6 for 3 years.

2. He’s really interested in the two camera lens feature, but didn’t want the larger iPhone 8.

3. We can afford it.

Yeah.

1. He’s had his current iPhone 6 for 3 years.

2. He’s really interested in the two camera lens feature, but didn’t want the larger iPhone 8.

3. We can afford it.

Didn't mean to sound critical! I know you can afford it, and so why not.

Sent some goodies to prepare for arrival of first GC. :dance:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom