Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-11-2014, 09:11 PM   #41
Dryer sheet aficionado

My wife and I live in Denton (I teach at UNT) and we like it here. The Courthouse Square downtown continues to get more interesting, better restaurants, etc. On the other hand, construction on I-35E to widen it will go on for a long time and will make the drive to Dallas more and more miserable.

But, we love our neighborhood--lots of mature trees.

I'd still consider it (although we like the Hill Country, too!).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2014, 09:47 PM   #42
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn_the_Page View Post
Thanks, but no thanks on College Station. I'm a Longhorn alum, I'm afraid I'd die shortly.
Yep, that'd be the end of you! Sorry.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:14 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

I drove through Bastrop recently on a run to San Angelo. Bastrop looks much better now that most of the new trees are planted and the new homes are up after the place nearly burned to the ground during the drought two years ago. Still a lot of barren land on the southeast side towards Brenham. Maybe those folks haven't rebuilt yet.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:49 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn_the_Page View Post
Thanks, but no thanks on College Station. I'm a Longhorn alum, I'm afraid I'd die shortly.
Having your horns cut off might be worth it to be closer to a stronger football team
Old 10-12-2014, 09:04 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For someone like me, the key factor is summertime humidity. Can't deal with it.
Attached Images
File Type: png summerdewpoint.png (188.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 10-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with you. I lived in NW San Antonio for 6 years and the humidity in the Hill Country is miserable. I hated that the clouds (and resultant humidity) would roll in around 10 in night and linger until noon the next day when it was burned off with three digit heat. I'd recommend taking a look at a dewpoint map to get a good idea about humidity. It's pretty brutal all the way up to the Red River. And this opinion from a guy who's from Georgia where humidity is just as bad...

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Just comparing my decades living in Austin to several years spent in Kerrville. There is a significant drop in humidity moving from east to west. It's all relative though.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:29 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to live in San Antonio, and since it was the only place I ever called home, it seemed natural years ago to plan on retiring there. BUT- what turned me away from San Antonio or Texas in general is (1) the three digit heat every summer where you just can't venture outside for any sort of recreation, (2) the bad traffic (at least in San Antonio), and (3) the general lack of courtesy (I remember having car trouble a few years ago on a visit and walking to someone's house for help only to be looked at suspiciously with a gun in his hand- not what I remember from the 1950's).

I opted for the Pacific Northwest.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:00 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
...and (3) the general lack of courtesy (I remember having car trouble a few years ago on a visit and walking to someone's house for help only to be looked at suspiciously with a gun in his hand- not what I remember from the 1950's).
The world has changed in many ways since the 1950's, some good some bad. One thing that apparently hasn't changed is the unfortunate quirk of human nature to assume the bad behavior of one individual is representative of all. Sad we're wired that way.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:30 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
For someone like me, the key factor is summertime humidity. Can't deal with it.
Interestingly you seem to leave the inter mountain west as what is left. Basically if Tx humidity is to high then you can rule out the entire southeast as well. Another alternative is the high plains of Tx such as Lubbock (which has a med school also, Texas Tech) But then you do face dust storms.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:33 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Interestingly you seem to leave the inter mountain west as what is left.
Not really. I currently live in a G zone on that map, which is borderline for me, and would be quite content in F or below.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:51 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The world has changed in many ways since the 1950's, some good some bad. One thing that apparently hasn't changed is the unfortunate quirk of human nature to assume the bad behavior of one individual is representative of all. Sad we're wired that way.
He must have looked like a yankee. He's lucky he wasn't shot.

A big factor for things like this is the neighborhood. There are some pretty bad neighborhoods infested with gangs, robberies and worse. Our evening news usually has a few stories every week where poor people rob and/or kill other poor people.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:28 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Not really. I currently live in a G zone on that map, which is borderline for me, and would be quite content in F or below.
If you look at the map the F zone starts essentially at the Balcones Escarpment just above San Antonio If one listens to the Weather forecasts the about 900 foot elevation difference between San Antonio and Kerrville or Fredricksburg does make a difference. Just as an example of the effect the Kerrville electric system (KPUB) is a winter peaking system, where as most more coastal systems are summer peaking systems. (It should be noted that most of the city does have natural gas, so it is not just electric heat during the few times it gets down in the single digits, when its to cold for heat pumps).
Old 10-14-2014, 05:14 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

I am surprised that no one has mentioned one of my favorite small towns, Dripping Springs, TX. It is a small town about 30 minutes west of Austin, which is far enough away from its traffic but close enough that shopping and the airport are convenient. Dripping Springs appears to have decent real estate and does have a large H.E.B. for local grocery shopping.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:55 PM   #54

I met my wife at the HEB in Bastrop!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:57 PM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Yep. HEB stocks almost anything you want.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:19 PM   #56

Yea, but their return policy on Wives is brutal!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:54 PM   #57
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Another endorsement of Bastrop.

I still have the same wife I had when I lived there, but that HEB had a much better selection of beer than any market near where we live now in CA. I miss that market every time we go grocery shopping.

Another poster said something about people there (or in TX in general) not being friendly. That was exactly the opposite of our experience. I knew almost all my neighbors (not normal in CA). One guy who lived down the street even pulled up, apologized for not stopping by sooner, introduced his whole family and left me all his contact information. Another time, I was struggling to unload some furniture and a total stranger pulled in to my driveway to help me just because he saw I needed help.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:46 PM   #58

I moved out to Bastrop from Austin, after I got divorced from wife #1 in 1986. Met future wife #2 while she was working as a cashier at HEB, around 1991. That was the original Bastrop HEB, not the same one that's there now. Anyhow, we got married at the courthouse in Bastrop in November of 1995, by a Justice of the Peace. I lived in Tahitian Village.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:52 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Bastrop's new Texas milestone...(not that this risk is a recurring issue, though)

Bastrop Wildfire: Disastrous Fire Now Worst in Texas History | TIME.com

Bastrop wildfires destroy 1,000-plus homes - Houston Chronicle

Lots of new homes and businesses in Bastrop within the last two years.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:55 PM   #60

That fire burned down the house right next to my old house but didn't touch it (my old house). I wasn't living there anymore, but it was interesting. I do still have a lot of friends who live there. At least one of them did lose their house.