Central Texas, Hill lCountry Towns

The world has changed in many ways since the 1950's, some good some bad. One thing that apparently hasn't changed is the unfortunate quirk of human nature to assume the bad behavior of one individual is representative of all. Sad we're wired that way.
He must have looked like a yankee. He's lucky he wasn't shot. :cool:

A big factor for things like this is the neighborhood. There are some pretty bad neighborhoods infested with gangs, robberies and worse. Our evening news usually has a few stories every week where poor people rob and/or kill other poor people.

Not really. I currently live in a G zone on that map, which is borderline for me, and would be quite content in F or below.

If you look at the map the F zone starts essentially at the Balcones Escarpment just above San Antonio If one listens to the Weather forecasts the about 900 foot elevation difference between San Antonio and Kerrville or Fredricksburg does make a difference. Just as an example of the effect the Kerrville electric system (KPUB) is a winter peaking system, where as most more coastal systems are summer peaking systems. (It should be noted that most of the city does have natural gas, so it is not just electric heat during the few times it gets down in the single digits, when its to cold for heat pumps).

I am surprised that no one has mentioned one of my favorite small towns, Dripping Springs, TX. It is a small town about 30 minutes west of Austin, which is far enough away from its traffic but close enough that shopping and the airport are convenient. Dripping Springs appears to have decent real estate and does have a large H.E.B. for local grocery shopping.

Last edited:
I met my wife at the HEB in Bastrop!

Another endorsement of Bastrop.

I still have the same wife I had when I lived there, but that HEB had a much better selection of beer than any market near where we live now in CA. I miss that market every time we go grocery shopping.

Another poster said something about people there (or in TX in general) not being friendly. That was exactly the opposite of our experience. I knew almost all my neighbors (not normal in CA). One guy who lived down the street even pulled up, apologized for not stopping by sooner, introduced his whole family and left me all his contact information. Another time, I was struggling to unload some furniture and a total stranger pulled in to my driveway to help me just because he saw I needed help.

I moved out to Bastrop from Austin, after I got divorced from wife #1 in 1986. Met future wife #2 while she was working as a cashier at HEB, around 1991. That was the original Bastrop HEB, not the same one that's there now. Anyhow, we got married at the courthouse in Bastrop in November of 1995, by a Justice of the Peace. I lived in Tahitian Village.

That fire burned down the house right next to my old house but didn't touch it (my old house). I wasn't living there anymore, but it was interesting. I do still have a lot of friends who live there. At least one of them did lose their house.

That fire burned down the house right next to my old house but didn't touch it (my old house). I wasn't living there anymore, but it was interesting. I do still have a lot of friends who live there. At least one of them did lose their house.

We were in the worst drought Texas has ever experienced then too. I have a friend who lost his house and two cars in that fire.

Robson Ranch - Denton was on the list but dropped as it's too far from town.

From what I can tell (I drive by there everyday on I35W) it will not be too much longer before town comes to Robson Ranch. Looks like some strip shopping, grocerers and others getting ready to break ground near there any day now...

Oh HEB...the only groceries available in San Antonio! ;)

Also, the crime in San Antonio is out of control. I've never lived anywhere that was that bad. Almost EVERYONE I worked with was the victim of crime while I was there...very surprising to me. I will also second the high number of rude people...it was quite shocking to me. I would NEVER associate San Antonio as being 'truly Texas'.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors. :)

Oh HEB...the only groceries available in San Antonio! ;)

Also, the crime in San Antonio is out of control. I've never lived anywhere that was that bad. Almost EVERYONE I worked with was the victim of crime while I was there...very surprising to me. I will also second the high number of rude people...it was quite shocking to me. I would NEVER associate San Antonio as being 'truly Texas'.

Wow. Talk about painting with a broad brush...

Purely anecdotal, but we've lived in or just outside SA since 1985 and I can't recall anyone I worked with or personally know being a victim of a crime. Out of curiosity I did some searching on crime stats and didn't find SA on this list of the Top 100 most Dangerous Cities in the US, but do see Atlanta ranked 28th. Must be a statistical error, eh?

Typed by a rude San Antonio Texan, so if there are grammatical errors - tough. :)

Purely anecdotal, but we've lived in or just outside SA since 1985 and I can't recall anyone I worked with or personally know being a victim of a crime. Out of curiosity I did some searching on crime stats and didn't find SA on this list of the Top 100 most Dangerous Cities in the US, but do see Atlanta ranked 28th. Must be a statistical error, eh?

Typed by a rude San Antonio Texan, so if there are grammatical errors - tough. :)

To boot if you move to a smaller town crime becomes less. Tools stolen from a shed make the local paper in Kerrville. Or today the paper had a bit on burglary of a storage unit. In a big city the cops would tell you to come into the police station to file a report.

Not meaning to paint it with a broad brush, it just happened to be my experience and those I worked with. By the time I left, everyone but one guy had gotten a CHL.

As for crime in Atlanta, I live in the 'metro' area but certainly not Atlanta proper...so crime isn't quite as rampant in my neck of the woods. For a specific comparison with where I lived in San Antonio and where I live now, you can pull up the statistics on city data. Zip codes are 78250 and 30068.

Not meaning to paint it with a broad brush, it just happened to be my experience and those I worked with. By the time I left, everyone but one guy had gotten a CHL.

As for crime in Atlanta, I live in the 'metro' area but certainly not Atlanta proper...so crime isn't quite as rampant in my neck of the woods. For a specific comparison with where I lived in San Antonio and where I live now, you can pull up the statistics on city data. Zip codes are 78250 and 30068.

Can't speak too much about San Antonia but "when I lived in Houston", (for over 50 years and in nice middle class neighborhoods) it was very common to hear about local store robberies and home break-ins. The local Chase bank branch was robbed seveal times. We even heard gun shots a few times. (and not on the 4th of July or New Years which was common)

Where I worked in downtown Houston, I knew 6 or 7 of the men on my floor who had CHL's. (including me)

Last edited:

Those crime statistics are for violent crime. I'm wondering if the San Antonio crimes being mentioned were primarily burglaries. There seem to be a high rate of burglaries and car thefts and break-ins in most southwestern cities. Several houses in my neighborhood were burglarized in the last couple of years. But I've never been a victim and it is not so severe that I would discourage people from relocating to Albuquerque - you just have to be choosey about your neighborhood and take precautions.

Back
Top Bottom