Class of 2019

Like most - My retirement date has moved around a bit. So have expectations.

Age 25 started with mega and planned on 55. That would have been 2016.

Subsequent marriage, kids, lifestyle creep and pension cuts moved to 60. The first three I would not change for all the tea in China.

Great Recession and DW's disability moved it out to 62.

Staying the course of nearly 100% equities and taking a role in senior management pulled it back to 60 with lots of fun money.

Watched parents aging and found this forum to realize the time value of money and moved back to 59.

Several friends died, DW had a car accident this year and pulled in again to this August at 58 years old.

Started splitting atoms for Uncle Sam at 18 - forty years later I am done.

When I started, never appreciated the true value of a medical pension either from Tricare or a corporation. Last week, Mega corp calculated top tier medical insurance policy for DW and I at $381/month until age 65. Mega stopped offering medical pensions 21 years ago, but geezers like me were grandfathered. (Mega even stopped annuity pensions for awhile after that, but they are back; with a lower annual interest credit for the millennials.)

Two months to go before turning in my retirement papers.

Work stress is disappearing. :D

It's a bit of a shame, in my mind, that my career is petering out like this rather than having gone out on a high, but that ship sailed when megacorp RIF'ed me in 2017 before we were anywhere near ready to retire.

I can sympathize, as my career had been petering out that way since 2015. Combined with a mental health issue, it was painful at times.

Landed on the right side of a reorganization not long ago, and am having a good last year of work. Thought about OMY, but have decided to stick with our retirement and moving plans for 2019.

OOS Well done ! :clap:

We have followed your posts and wish you the best

Congrats - we won't be far behind as most likely will retire effective 31-Dec-19. :dance:

I just gave notice

August 1, 2019 BABY!!!!!!!!11111

geez what a huge freaking relief

Congrats!!! I also gave 3 months notice...first month was full of wowzzz, what are you going to do, etc. second month was quiet, not much chatter about it at work. Then, that last month just zipped by, especially the last two weeks...

Congrats!!! I also gave 3 months notice...first month was full of wowzzz, what are you going to do, etc. second month was quiet, not much chatter about it at work. Then, that last month just zipped by, especially the last two weeks...
I have about 1 month left of my 3 months notice. The days go by very slowly and a bit uncomfortably. I count down each day. I love hearing your last month went by quickly. This morning I woke and thought how nice it will be to get another hour of sleep. June 7th can't get here fast enough!

Last day at work will be 5/30. Last month & only 20 actual working days left. No stress because something like 10% of the company, about 1700 people, all took a voluntary retirement package, and we all leave the same day. Everyone is happy about it except those whose depts got decimated and will have to struggle with the loss of experience years. The business is changing greatly, so while the company is doing very well, it’s not the same place to work at any more.

Severance was great, $10k “incentive” (which basically makes me “whole” for lost company match, and minor pension adjustment) plus 14 months pay, (topped out, based on years of service) starting June this year, with the first two months of that as “Administrative Leave”, so all benefits etc still in place. Pension starts August 1, so two checks a month for a year. Company pays all medical for the rest of 2019, then I pay Company medical next 3 years, until age 65 (61/3 now) about $250/mo. Work was getting old, same old same old, I wasn’t going to progress any more and FIRE income is well, well, past 100%. Already moved to a new no maintenance location, salt water pool for the summer and nice gym included. Ready to make my time my own! Get back in to shape, catch up on my reading and audio projects. Travel on my own schedule. All I have to do is stay alive!!

Last edited:
A change but still 2019

My father passed right before Christmas. Not totally unexpected, but impactful. And this has spurred me to make a decision. As we work through his estate issues I will keep working, but the reality of the finality, and the financial bump his thoughtful estate will bring, has driven me to firm my date to July 5th of this year. Dads final gift to me, so to speak. Setting all retirement clocks to 7/5/19. Time to start the dream.

Update:

I will be done with w*rk on December 20th and I’ve told my Board of Directors - which was a big, no going back thing. I extended the six months from July 5th for two reasons. First for $...other than the additional regular salary - I will receive a year end bonus and Top Hat 🎩 payout equaling ~$150k. Second, I will telecommute most of the rest of the year from my mountain home where I truly want to be in the summer and fall. I’ll still work hard, but from a cool and wonderful location. Class of 2019!!

Day 3 into this and I'm ready to go, today. Is there an app for counting down to retirement?

anyone else flip flopping between being totally relieved then totally anxious?

There is a free app called “retire” for phones. I’ve had it on my phone over a year.

Handing in my two month notice tomorrow! Last day of work will be June 28th at age 58.5, with pay and benefits ending late August. From there forward I'll enjoy company subsidized health insurance until Medicare kicks in.

To answer Big_Hitter, yes, constantly flip flopping, but for no good reason.

Handing in my two month notice tomorrow! Last day of work will be June 28th at age 58.5, with pay and benefits ending late August. From there forward I'll enjoy company subsidized health insurance until Medicare kicks in.

To answer Big_Hitter, yes, constantly flip flopping, but for no good reason.

yeah i don't know why i'm weirding out - probably because I'm 55 and have to live on savings plus pension for another 30 years or so

my ldw will be 8/1 and DW gets medicare that month. I'll get continuation of insurance though 8/31 and will likely get a bronze plan or something

time to get my eyes checked and a colonoscopy before i go

normal

yeah i don't know why i'm weirding out - probably because I'm 55 and have to live on savings plus pension for another 30 years or so

my ldw will be 8/1 and DW gets medicare that month. I'll get continuation of insurance though 8/31 and will likely get a bronze plan or something

You're behaving completely normally IMO. I will be 59 when I go in December - and I have all of the same thoughts. Giving notice, out loud - was hard but then there was no more waffling. No more OMY, or OMM etc. Gotta go. First when people hear, they think your sick and dying, then they wonder about your sanity for leaving such a good position, etc.

Good money in me staying, but Im already questioning the sanity of my last gasp of OMSM (one more six months)...but the countdown clock is ticking - just not fast enough.

House is on the market once I have a contract I will put in notice then move from KC to Colorado Springs. Evidently my DGF wants me to work for her part time.

We are in lockstep it seems. I'll need to cover vision and dental once retired - I just scheduled a dentist and vision appt.

Back
Top Bottom