Daylight saving time

JmfromTx

Recycles dryer sheets
After grumbling all week about the time change I finally got it through my thick head that I don't have to play anymore. This is an unexpected bonus and a darned good one.

I'm just happy that the bedroom alarm clock and the "atomic" clock in the dining room handle the change by themselves (and the phones and computers, of course). I still had to change the clocks in the thermostat, microwave, range, coffeemaker, basement, and car. Eventually, I suppose these things will all have self-adjusting clocks when they're connected to the internet.

From my standpoint, I'd prefer that they'd leave DST on for the entire year.

I get amused with the people who complain so much about losing an hour. It's the one time insomnia has its advantages-----every night I get less than eight hours sleep, so the switch to DST doesn't affect me at all! I've always wondered if people really feel a difference from the "lost" hour....

I got my extra hour of sleep this morning - and it felt great!

Simple mantra: Fall forward, spring back.

Yep, being retired means it doesn't matter. When I was working, it did. A lot at 4:30 in the morning. If DST was year around, we might as well use solar time and just have everything run an hour earlier.

I must really be slipping into retirement. I had no idea DST was today. If we didn't have a power flicker in the middle of the night the caused the clock on the stove to flash, I wouldn't have known. Not really a problem for me, but my kids might have cared when they showed up for school an hour late tomorrow. Well, maybe not.

Even though I'm retired, I still don't like it. I was sleeping later than I really wanted to, already.

After grumbling all week about the time change I finally got it through my thick head that I don't have to play anymore.

But you do have to change about 15 clocks and devices, don't you?

Our power went out on Friday (PG&E afraid of tsunamis), so I decided not to ReLED (the official term), until today. I haven't done it yet, which is lucky, since the power went off twice today (wind storm).

DST is typical of stupid human ideas.

From my standpoint, I'd prefer that they'd leave DST on for the entire year.

Me too. I hate it when it gets dark at 4:30 or 5 PM in the winter months, it is so depressing. Especially now that I am ERed and never have to get up early any more so a later sunrise won't bother me. When I was working I hated coming home from work while it was dark.

Since Arizona doesn't like another hour of 110F temps during the summer, we don't switch. I did have to change my fancy atomic clock from Mountain to Pacific time since it automatically switched for me and doesn't have an option to ignore DST.

We drove from the Eastern Time Zone into Central a week ago. Gained and hour, which was good. Reset all the clocks in the RV. A week later, they take the hour back, and we had to reset clocks again. :(

As an aside, Central Time Zone is messing with me. Everything I watch on T.V. comes on an hour early. I'm done watching at 8:00PM now. It's like the middle part of the country is trying to put me to bed early.

I think DST is just silly. New Mexico is 3 miles east and so I cross the time line, every time I go to town. Most of the residents of Rodeo, NM(The most western town in NM), wish that they didn't have DST.

One of my pups jumps (the one in my avatar) into bed each morning at 5:30 and lick my ear to tell me that it's time to get up :whistle: ...

For the last two days, I've been able to sleep till 6:30. I'll hate to "fall back"...

I don't like DST. Now its 2 hours earlier in Az than Il. When I go to our Az condo, I usually get there around 10 pm, and wake up starving at 4 am. With no food in the house, I wait starving until 7 to go to breakfast. Later I eat dinner at 4 and pass out on the couch at 6 pm. It takes a while to adjust.

Time zones themselves are what confuse me. I grew up in the far eastern part of the Eastern time zone, and now I live in the far western part of it. The sunrise/sunset times still seem odd to me, because I "know" that it should be dark or light at a particular time in a particular season, but things are way off over here!

One of my pups jumps (the one in my avatar) into bed each morning at 5:30 and lick my ear to tell me that it's time to get up :whistle: ...

I'm curious as to how accurate he/she is. Within 10 minutes? 30 minutes?

We don't miss DST out here one bit, although the sunrise varies by an hour or more over the course of the year.

One of the most controversial evolutions in the Navy is resetting the clocks as you're steaming to WestPac across the International Dateline. The reason it's controversial is because the clock shift affects the watchstander's rotations, making some watches longer or shorter. It also causes havoc with the galley's meal-prep timing.

The crew finally decided it was better to not shift the clocks until we were six hours off (the length of a submarine watch) and could just do it all at once. That way the only people to suffer were the OODs & quartermasters, who still had to figure out whether it was going to be light or dark out when they raised the periscope...

Back
Top Bottom