Do people who retire early live longer?

After reading this article...I am MORE confused about statistics. I would think IMO that people who retire early, away from the stress/demands of work SHOULD theoretically live longer. I'm retiring early based on that assumption.
That was a very-well-researched and unbiased article. Usually their ilk quote the Boeing study as truth and then make snarky comments about Social Security.

But I think the reality is that work is just one of many longevity factors, and you can't easily tease out occupational effects from all the other health, lifestyle, and genetic factors.

I bet that attitude has a lot to do with longevity. If people feel like retiring early then that's what they should do. If they feel like working (heaven help them) then that's what they should do.

Supposedly IBM retirees in the old days didn't live too long, and the theory was that they had such a sense of place and purpose within the company that upon retirement they missed it and apparently kind of lost the will to live.
Spouse knows several survivors of the Pearl Harbor attack who live on Oahu and who volunteer at the Visitor's Center three times a week for three hours in the morning. They sit at their table with a donation jar (for the Memorial maintenance fund), autograph their books (sold at the book store), get their pictures taken with gorgeous women, and generally get treated like rock stars. What's not to like? Unsurprisingly, each of them feels that their longevity is directly tied to showing up for their volunteer shifts.

I'm hoping the same thinking applies to surfing. So far so good.

I use to have a stressful job running around with no time to eat.Vending machine foods,hotdog stand,etc.Now I cook my own healthy meals,sit down and slowly enjoy them.My doctor was happy to report that my cholesterol,blood pressure,sugar,and liver enzymes have greatly improved.Also have time to read all those books I had gathering dust in the bookcase.Take walks when I want to.Feel human again.Will I live longer,who knows?But I feel much better.

Back
Top Bottom