Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Everyone report back when they die. Just don't haunt me. That would be creepy.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Surely it does. It tells me that socioeconomic status, read money, buys one just a few more years of life. And I am curious to know how many of those few extra years are spent with a low quality of life, pursuing expensive and futile treatments.
With regard to its effect on health, socioeconomic status is a different factor from money. It does not equate simply to money. It may have to do with education, with dominance, with who knows what all.

Ha

Old 07-26-2012, 11:23 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I will be retired five months in 5 days and I got to tell all it is the single best thing I have ever done in my life. Money means nothing if you are not happy. Some people just have to work and some retire and live a good life. I know some who are in the their 80's and still work. That is just not me. I am no means rich but we are comfortable I guess you could say. I love the feeling of not having to get up on a set time and I go to bed when I please. No dead lines to meet. Why people want to continue to work past 65 is beyond me but everyone to their own. I stay extremely busy and some days I get nothing done but who cares. I am in the last phase of my life and I plan to spend it the way I want, not the way some dip sh-- boss wants me to. None of us know what tomorrow might bring so I suggest to anyone who is thinking about making the move to JUST DO IT. OLD-TRIG
Old 07-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
With regard to its effect on health, socioeconomic status is a different factor from money. It does not equate simply to money. It may have to do with education, with dominance, with who knows what all.

Ha
It is true that money is not the only thing that the higher class has, compared to the lower working class. It is just the most obvious thing.

Knowledge about health maintenance, healthier life habits, better living conditions, and as simple as the ability to afford to live out of high-crime areas, etc..., all point to favorable conditions for better longevity for the higher class.

And it was my point that when it comes to longevity, yet all those favorable factors add up to a measly few years.

I would also think that other than money, a person of more modest means should be able to seek enlightenment to more "level the playing field", so to speak, when it comes to longevity. I may envy the cars, the houses of the rich man, but not his longevity because his life is not guaranteed to be longer than mine. And life is something that money cannot buy.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:12 AM   #25

Hey oldtrig, glad to see retirement is working for ya so far.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #26

Hmmmmmmmmmm if ER means a shorter lifespan then my ER plans just because more possible !
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #27

" Do people who retire early live longer?"

I'm at just over 5 years. Ask me in 10, 20, 30, 40 ....100 years. If I answer in 100 years what caused me to live so long? BTW, I'm 63, if I answer in 100 years, ask me if I like being here.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:32 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

kumquat, not sure but perhaps you meant something like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
BTW, I'm 63, if I answer in 100 years, ask me if I like being here
Old 07-30-2012, 12:37 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugalityisthenewblack View Post
After reading this article...I am MORE confused about statistics. I would think IMO that people who retire early, away from the stress/demands of work SHOULD theoretically live longer. I'm retiring early based on that assumption.
That was a very-well-researched and unbiased article. Usually their ilk quote the Boeing study as truth and then make snarky comments about Social Security.

But I think the reality is that work is just one of many longevity factors, and you can't easily tease out occupational effects from all the other health, lifestyle, and genetic factors.

I bet that attitude has a lot to do with longevity. If people feel like retiring early then that's what they should do. If they feel like working (heaven help them) then that's what they should do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Supposedly IBM retirees in the old days didn't live too long, and the theory was that they had such a sense of place and purpose within the company that upon retirement they missed it and apparently kind of lost the will to live.
Spouse knows several survivors of the Pearl Harbor attack who live on Oahu and who volunteer at the Visitor's Center three times a week for three hours in the morning. They sit at their table with a donation jar (for the Memorial maintenance fund), autograph their books (sold at the book store), get their pictures taken with gorgeous women, and generally get treated like rock stars. What's not to like? Unsurprisingly, each of them feels that their longevity is directly tied to showing up for their volunteer shifts.

I'm hoping the same thinking applies to surfing. So far so good.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:33 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I use to have a stressful job running around with no time to eat.Vending machine foods,hotdog stand,etc.Now I cook my own healthy meals,sit down and slowly enjoy them.My doctor was happy to report that my cholesterol,blood pressure,sugar,and liver enzymes have greatly improved.Also have time to read all those books I had gathering dust in the bookcase.Take walks when I want to.Feel human again.Will I live longer,who knows?But I feel much better.