Do you buy yourself a Christmas/Holiday present?

Meadbh

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
A post on another thread got me wondering about this. If you have squads of loved ones queuing up to present you with the gift of your dreams, it's probably not an issue. If, like me, you rarely get Christmas gifts, do you do something special for yourself? It could be an experience or an object. This year, I am giving myself a second week in the sun. Of course, I would not spend this much unless the budget could handle it. Some years, I just get new pajamas.

Not usually, but if I was fence-sitting on buying something I might use that as an excuse.

I was just browsing on eBay looking at another Nikon SB-900 camera flash. If I buy one this will be the fourth. I use the off-camera function a lot at family gatherings and aim the lights at the ceiling and walls to evenly light up the room

As a couple that is something we often do. This year it was a long weekend in Vegas with the children a couple of weeks ago. Two years ago we both got our first ever smart phones.

Bought 4 NHL tickets Rangers Vs Canadians on March 4th.
$780, add in transportation, dinner in Manhattan and maybe a drink or two it will be a $1,000 night out. No wonder families don't often go to professional sporting events.
Oh well, Merry Christmas to us.

I always buy myself something that I really want because nobody else will - :)

If I want something for myself, I'll evaluate the price/value and get it if it seems worthwhile, regardless of the time of year. I suppose I might be a little more likely to decide in favor of buying around Christmas or my birthday as a treat, but I don't specifically think about getting myself something just because it's the holidays.

When I was younger and "wanted" more stuff, I'd wait until after Christmas and buy myself what I did not get for Christmas, usually on sale.

Him: What did I get you this year?

Me: Let me show you!

Unwraps gift.

Me: Aw, Honey, how did you know?!! It's awesome!

We stopped buying gifts for each other a long time ago - especially at this time of year (too busy out there and you have to crawl over all the slippers and boxed shirts w/ties in the store isles). Kids always ask what we want for Chirstmas, birthdays, etc, but we only answer with give us your time (a burger/sandwich luncheon is great). Grandkids always give us neat stuff they buy at this time of year from the school sanctioned store (hmm?)....

We always just buy whatever we want - when we want, but not much buying of stuff since retiring.

No. I do look for sales on items I may want or need, but don't buy myself anything simply because it's Christmas.

We just buy what we need when we think of it, but there actually are a couple of things special to this time of year.

One is that there are usually some great special deals on high end food items, and I'm often tempted enough to experiment with something new. A good example is a duck assortment I recently splurged on.

The other is that I normally spend time in December thinking about how to donate to organizations I admire. We have quite a few on an automatic annual gift schedule, but thinking about it I can always come up with new ideas. Since we set up a donor advised fund at Fidelity a few years ago, it has multiplied the value of our gifts nicely, so our donations keep getting bigger. That gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

If I want something for myself, I'll evaluate the price/value and get it if it seems worthwhile, regardless of the time of year. I suppose I might be a little more likely to decide in favor of buying around Christmas or my birthday as a treat, but I don't specifically think about getting myself something just because it's the holidays.

+1 This sums it up pretty well for me too.

DH and I each buy a few things for ourselves that are put under the tree from "Santa". DD still believes so there needs to be a few gifts from Santa for all of us. It's usually things we need anyway like socks, boots, something for the kitchen, our favorite snack items.

I have a new car ordered that is expected around the end of January. I guess I could call it a Christmas present.

I went skiing yesterday for the first time in three years. Now I remember why. The boots I bought 4 years ago never fit right. After an hour and a half my feet and I were miserable. So while DS continued on the slopes, I hobbled over to the ski shop and they helped me find a pair of boots that were designed for wide feet and larger calves. They told me to come back when my feet stopped screaming at me to try them on again. It was nice to be in a shop that wanted a happy customer, not just a customer. Since I know I'm generally spending less money and DS is working and making his own money, spending a few hundred dollars for boots makes sense. I'll sell the old ones at the ski swap next year so it won't be a total loss.

So ski boots will be my present.

DH and I each buy a few things for ourselves that are put under the tree from "Santa". DD still believes so there needs to be a few gifts from Santa for all of us. It's usually things we need anyway like socks, boots, something for the kitchen, our favorite snack items.

Santa gives us all scratch off lottery tickets in our stocking.

I've always been one who preferred to purchase things for myself. I like what I like and outside of telling someone what to buy for me, it would be impossible for them to get me what I actually want. Plus, the comparing and shopping for the best deal is part of the fun for me and DW. This time of year, I will usually buy a few things because I get caught up in the shopping of the season, but at our age and given that we downsized our home this year, the shopping is way down from years past and I suspect it will stay that way going forward.

I usually buy myself one Christmas present in January. For example, in the past few years these have included items such as an iPad Air, a document scanner, and a hot water boiler.

I have NO idea what I'm going to get this year, but I'm sure something will suggest itself. :D

For me, this present helps me to avoid even the slightest touch of the "holiday blues". It is also a nice way to begin the New Year. I can take advantage of January sales sometimes, though not always.

Last edited:
I generally buy cars at the end of November or during December. Best prices on the new models tend to be then. This year I bought one on Black Friday weekend. First thing Sunday morning. Be a few more years before I get another automotive "present."

Yes indeed, I always buy myself something at this time of year.

Given that my birthday is Christmas Eve, it's pretty much a requirement for me. :LOL:

Just tonight I ordered four beautiful jigsaw puzzles for myself. They were a bit pricier than the ones I usually buy, so I used the "it's my birthday and Christmas" excuse as I clicked the "send order" button. :dance:

Not usually, but this year I bought myself a hearing amplifier. I've known for a long time that I have a hearing problem, but my excuse was that I didn't want another device that needed charging and maintenance, would I have to take hearing aids out for headphones, and anyway my hearing wasn't that bad.

Was on Amazon to buy an iPhone case and wanted to bring the order over $50 for free shipping. Usually I look at the consumables I buy anyway, but I was well-stocked. So I added an amplifier in the form of a bluetooth headphone.

Mimitakara (Active) FDA Registered Rechargeable Hearing Amplifier, with Bluetooth

You can switch it from amplifier mode to headphone mode. It got good reviews, so we'll see.

The final nudge to do something about the hearing came this week at the post office. There was a line at 7:30am and the person at the window already looked stressed. She told me my total and I counted out the 4 pennies for the change amount. Maybe I was a little slow. When I handed it to her she sighed and said patiently, "No, you need forty-four cents".

my wife bought me a laundry basket and a trash can for Christmas a few years back. That was all. If i want something for Christmas, I had better buy it myself!

DW has been buying her gifts for years now. She also negotiated gifts for the kids - there's never a surprise for them. At first I objected, but soon realized resistance is futile, so I gave in and now do the same, or at least stand aside while they do it. All I want for b'day and Christmas is a well chosen card that is funny and original.

I did manage to make one change to Christmas gifts for one DD - the first to have children - made their gift annual passes to the local zoo and museum. The other kids will get the same soon, as they now also have children at home. :)

Back
Top Bottom