ER and exercise and birding

We had a Ruby-Crowned Kinglet come to our feeders in Philadelphia the last two winters, from about November until March. Sadly this year we had one appear for a day in November and haven't seen one since. It's somewhat unusual for them to stay here in winter, though not so much for their close relative, the Golden-Crowned Kinglet.

We had a Ruby-Crowned Kinglet come to our feeders in Philadelphia the last two winters, from about November until March. ...
Those little guys really get around :). I've seen a few more at the same bridge I stop at on my runs. I can see the male's little red crown because I'm looking either directly at it or slightly down on it. I understand the crown is sometimes hard to see.

Yes, the ruby spot is usually not visible. And yes, those little guys really do get around. I see them in the high mountain places in the summer, and all over the southern US in the winter.

Audrey

Looking back at the Harley's Killdeer nest reminded me of a picture my daughter took in her yard last spring. She lives in the country. I saw them a few days later when they were up and running.

2h57m8l.jpg

Bare-throated Tiger-heron!

A US record has been our "back-yard" bird for the past couple of weeks. Way north of range. It's causing all sorts of excitement around here and birders from all over US have been traveling here to see it.

We got to see it within a couple hours of returning on Jan 1. Life bird on Jan 1 - not too bad! Bare-throated Tiger Heron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia so you can see what it looks like. It's a pretty big heron.

OK, I'm counting the state park 0.5 mile away as our backyard, but that's why we live here!

Audrey

P.S. Poundkey - great Killdeer hatchlings shot! You know I think they stay in that nest less than 24 hours? At least the hatched eggs we saw were out of the nest within a day. In other words - there was a very small window to get that shot!

That's really cool about the heron, Audrey. I didn't even know they exist until now.

We've got the snow goose migration going through right now. Really neat! Corn fields so covered in geese it looks like snow. Not my pictures, but exactly what we have here.

3000290514_d7b5e93f6d.jpg

spring-snow-goose-hunting.jpg

Bare-throated Tiger-heron!

A US record has been our "back-yard" bird for the past couple of weeks. Way north of range. It's causing all sorts of excitement around here and birders from all over US have been traveling here to see it.

We got to see it within a couple hours of returning on Jan 1. Life bird on Jan 1 - not too bad! Bare-throated Tiger Heron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia so you can see what it looks like. It's a pretty big heron.

OK, I'm counting the state park 0.5 mile away as our backyard, but that's why we live here!

Audrey

P.S. Poundkey - great Killdeer hatchlings shot! You know I think they stay in that nest less than 24 hours? At least the hatched eggs we saw were out of the nest within a day. In other words - there was a very small window to get that shot!

Wow! Male? Female? Juvenile?

Hummers

I was recently sent this link by my brother. We frequently bird in south and central America and particularity love hummers. So if you are a hummer fan, take a look at this 50 minute PBS feature. An interesting tidbit is that hummers in the north tend to place their nests in a circle of proximity to Cooper's hawk's nests.

Video: Full Episode - Hummingbirds: Magic in the Air | Nature

That PBS Nature show on hummers is really good. They said that hummingbirds are only found in the Americas.

That's right. Hummers are a new world bird. There are birds in Europe and Africa that have evolved into hovering nectar feeders though - just not related.

And the Ruby-throated Hummingbird is the only crazy enough to be migrating across the oceans to the Yucatan Peninsula - the little things fly across at 18mph on those tiny wings of theirs. The other hummers more sensibly make their way by land through Mexico. But for this reason, the ruby-throats dominate the eastern half of North America.

Audrey

That's right. Hummers are a new world bird. There are birds in Europe and Africa that have evolved into hovering nectar feeders though - just not related.

And the Ruby-throated Hummingbird is the only crazy enough to be migrating across the oceans to the Yucatan Peninsula - the little things fly across at 18mph on those tiny wings of theirs. The other hummers more sensibly make their way by land through Mexico. But for this reason, the ruby-throats dominate the eastern half of North America.

Audrey

Those tough little ruby-throats make it all of the way up north where I lived, the only hummingbird to do that. We regularly had a nesting pair in the cedar tree out front of our home.

Birding is one of those great activities you can do while doing other things (another is geocaching). I don't really keep track of my sightings, but its always in the back of my mind when out fishing or traveling.

My greatest sighting is the bald eagle in a dead tree about half a mile from our house. In Nevada, bald eagles are a big deal. We have 'em, but many.

Years ago some guys at my office came to me because they know I hunt waterfowl to ask if I knew what kind of duck was out behind the office building. I looked but had no idea and neither did anyone else. One guy did a little research and found out it was a species from China! I know sometimes ducks get mixed up when summering up north and follow the wrong flock down the wrong flyway, but this was pretty unique.

Birding is one of those great activities you can do while doing other things (another is geocaching). I don't really keep track of my sightings, but its always in the back of my mind when out fishing or traveling.

Be careful. It was a week-long flyfishing trip in Pennsylvania that began my transition from an avid fisherman and occasional birder to an avid birder and ex-flyfisherman! Though I think it is at least possible that I'll return to occasional flyfishing when I retire.............

Back
Top Bottom