Favorite Podcasts

I've never taken advantage of podcasts. So I looked up this article:
How to Download and Listen to Podcasts on Android, iPhone | Page 2 | Digital Trends

I have a Google credit and maybe I should buy this app for $4 ? What do you think of Pocket Casts? .... described there:
As you might have deduced by now, Pocket Casts is an inexpensive app that’s available on most platforms. In addition to its library of more than 200,000 podcasts, the app is fairly simple to use, and presents information with clean design. In addition to the core features, Pocket Casts offers an array of additional functions designed make life easier. There are notifications to alert users if a podcast they subscribe to has new episodes, voice balance to ensure that all the speakers on a show sound about the same, and playback speed for those who want to blitz through their daily playlist. Users can also stream episodes rather than download them, saving storage space. At $4, Pocket Casts is one of the more expensive podcatchers around, but it’s well worth the cost.

I listen to about 2 dozen different podcasts and have never paid for anything. What kind of phone do you have? iPhones have the app built in.
Its a Nexus 6P (Google), sized similar to Iphone 6+. Great phone. I'm sure there are free apps but I haven't checked any out.

The built in iOS podcast app is pretty good. I used it for years and was happy.

Overcast on iOS adds some nice features:

Voice Boost - normalizes the volume (help SOME podcasts a lot!)
Smart Speed - cuts out long silences
Speed - lets you speed all the audio a bit - I find 1.1X works great

Curious as to when you all listen to these podcasts. I used to listen on my half-hour to and from work. Once the commute ended, so did my listening. (Also, since I pulled the trigger I've been less interested in the personal finance ones.)

I have a waterproof bluetooth speaker that DD gave me for Christmas and listen to Marketplace in the shower. Also sometimes outside when I am doing chores as background noise.

The truth about money by Ric Edelman

I better not die right after retiring! I've saved for years to be able to enjoy the money and time. (This is one of my fears)

I've used an android app called "BeyondPod" for years. It costs something if you want all the features. It has a killer feature for me of speeding up the podcast 1.5 to 2x. It let's me here up to twice as much in the same time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

It has a killer feature for me of speeding up the podcast 1.5 to 2x. It lets me hear up to twice as much in the same time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

My iPhone does that. I don't want my French and German podcasts speeded up (or slowed down, for that matter, which it can also do) and I sure don't want to hear Jim Cramer sounding like he's OD'd on Five-Hour Energy shots!

My iPhone does that. I don't want my French and German podcasts speeded up (or slowed down, for that matter, which it can also do) and I sure don't want to hear Jim Cramer sounding like he's OD'd on Five-Hour Energy shots!

Are those language instruction podcasts? If so, would you mind again the names? TIA.

They're actually video news podcasts but with the pictures it's easier to interpret the words. The French one is france3.fr and the German one is taggeschau.de, both available on iTunes. You may also want to look for langsam gesprochene nachricht (slowly spoken news), which I started with years ago- that's audio only.

I sure don't want to hear Jim Cramer sounding like he's OD'd on Five-Hour Energy shots!

It is really speaker dependent. There are a couple of podcasts I listen to where setting them to 1.2X is not even noticeable. Others, no way can I speed them up - they talk so fast.

Last weekend bringing DS home from college he put on a podcast for the drive home and after a minute I said, "could you turn off the speed up please". I could barely understand them. Turns out that was how those guys talked at 1X. Goodness.

Yes, I've noticed the same thing. Also, it depends on what they are talking about, for Security Now, I listen to the news and banter at 2x but the technical explanations at 1.5x

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Another fan of Security Now!

Did you try the Never10 app?

Mystery Theater

Old radio mysteries. I was having trouble sleeping and started listening to these when I went to sleep. Starting falling asleep quickly. The shows are 30 to 45 minutes long and I usually finish the shows the following morning on a walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I use my I-pod in my car. I subscribed to Old Time Radio Detectives podcast on I-tunes and love it.

Would like to bring podcasts to my Android devices. Google Play has a limited free ability to do podcasts. ISyncR has a limited free ability to copy some of your I-tunes library to your Android device. What software/apps do you use on your Android device to subscribe, manage and play podcasts?

Z3Dreamer, I use Beyondpod on my Android phone. I can't compare it's functionality to I-tunes on a I-device because I've never had one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I use the Podcast Republic app on my Android phone and love it. I tried a number of other apps and found that one worked best for me. The developer also responds to questions.

I listen to The Axe Files (David Axelrod interviewing a variety of political guests), The Ezra Klein show, Vox's The Weeds (also political), plus This American Life (NPR), Plant Yourself (health) and 10% Happier with Dan Harris. Podcasts about language learning (not specific languages): I Will Teach You a Language and Actual Fluency.

Back
Top Bottom