Final retirement area

Looks like we made the decision to start looking again for the "final" area. We looked at a mountain lot last Sunday. We liked the lot but it's off grid and over priced. Maybe 10 yrs ago but not sure I'm into it now. We're thinking of building much smaller cabin than what we currently have and travel more.

To meet this requirement, I would recommend that you look at more remote locations. For example, in my area of western CO the further you get "outside of town", the less expensive houses become. I suspect it is due to the limited number of folks willing to live so remote which drives down the sale price and not necessarily the original construction cost, etc. Not sure how remote you are willing to live, but for DW and myself we wanted to be closer to friends, shopping, medical care, etc.

Like this one in Whitewater...$350,000, but it will need a little work.

6501 Uncompahgre Divide Road, Whitewater, CO 81527 | MLS 20192725 | Listing Information | Grand Junction

We sold a much smaller cabin above Canon City (Royal Gorge) in 2015. Salida is more expensive, but similar. I think there were some larger ones around 350k-450k. These are on the county road 15 miles West of Canon City above the South entrance to the Royal Gorge. Elevation would be around 7500 feet, so be prepared for the winter. (Canon City is about 1500 feet lower, so the climate there is considerably different.) You would be looking at the San Juan mountains on the border of Colorado/New Mexico.

Last edited:
Oddly the remote land we've checked in the mountains has covenants on them every bit as bad as in subdivisions! We DON"T want a big cabin, jeesh. Absolutely ridiculous

Back
Top Bottom