FIRE Car

92 Honda Accord, purchased new, now has over 130K miles
02 Jeep GC, purchased used in 04, has approx 70K miles
05 Mustang 5 speed convertible, purchased new, midlife crisis summer only car :cool:, less than 10K miles

FIRED in 07

If the Honda gives out, I will buy a used winter rat with cash.

No car payments! :clap:

When I visit the mainland (like right now) I drive my last purchased-new car - a 91 Mazda 626 with 135K. I leave it parked behind the family business when I leave for home in Hawaii. It was parked 8 months without being started this time. Started right up - though it sounded like a Diesel for a minute. Heck, the clock was still right on time. Unfortunately, the thing is sort of like the Blues-Mobile. Everything is self destructing at the same time. The finish is completely shot, the plastic interior pieces are splitting, the LCD on the radio is blank, the muffler is shot, the air/fuel intake system has a problem which makes every start like a flash-back to driver's Ed, it needs a new timing belt, the turn signals have some sort of short in them, it leaks oil, etc., etc. BUT... it runs and saves me a rental at $30 to $50/day. So until I put a bullet between its headlights, I'm going to continue driving it. I wouldn't be concerned to take it cross country, though I would not do so with DW or without my cell phone. Oh, yeah. It still gets 30+ mpg!

I love the car because it looks so utterly clapped out. No one gets in my way 'cause they sense that I have nothing to lose, heh, heh. Given my choice, I wouldn't own a car worth more than $1K, but DW demands a decent car when we're back home, so we have 2 cars in the 2000 vintage - no more than 100K miles right now. We'll see.

Oh, yeah. YMMV, heh, heh.

I am considering swapping my '06 FIRE Subaru for my son's 2002 Audi S-4. Extremely nice car, very low miles, very nice paint and interior. Only thing holding me back is that my Sub wagon can haul some stuff around, and it is much cheaper to maintain than an S-4.

Ha

I am considering swapping my '06 FIRE Subaru for my son's 2002 Audi S-4. Extremely nice car, very low miles, very nice paint and interior. Only thing holding me back is that my Sub wagon can haul some stuff around, and it is much cheaper to maintain than an S-4.

Ha

Do you have a turbo Subie? If so I don't think you'd find a significant increase in "fun factor" by switching to the S-4. Not enough to cover the ~$5000 higher current value of the Subie. If you have a NA Subie wagon then it's just a matter of frugal vs fun. At my age, being frugal is more important to me right now so i'd stay with the Subie for another decade+. Then go with the more fun car when money's not such a big issue. You may be at that stage now so I can see your dilemma.

In March I traded in my 1997 Accord (155,000 miles) for a 2008 Prius. I really like the Prius. My insurance only went up about $10.00 per month, and I love my 48.0 - 48.5 miles per gallon. Literally cut my gas costs in half. My wife drives a 1997 Acura with 152,000 miles on it. Will keep that one running as long as we can.

Back
Top Bottom