Golf Courses! Post your photos here!

CuppaJoe

Moderator Emeritus
I used to love to walk by this 19th hole view when I was semi-retired in the '80s. I'm baaaaack!

Attachments

• IMG_2444.jpg
    IMG_2444.jpg
    470.7 KB · Views: 16
I never think to take a camera along when I golf but it is a good idea. I went to the East Potomac course at Hains point in downtown DC on Wednesday. It is an inexpensive "municipal" course owned by the National Park Service. Not a great course but wow, I had forgotten how beautiful the views are. Since we had a mild summer with a fair amount of rain the entire course was green. On the back nine, every other T shot is lined up with the Washington Monument - you almost think you could hit it (or maybe Jarhead would think he could hit it). I couldn't find anything online to do it justice but here is something that gives an idea of the setting:

Attachments

• gw-golf-2c.jpg
    gw-golf-2c.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 138
Just completed 6 months (15 lessons) of the Golftec golf school program and played for the first time just a few weeks ago. My game is nothing to write gramma about, but I broke 100 on my second time out so am content.

I love the idea of posting golf course photos, and will bring my camera next time I think of it.

Visual memories of golf scenes past: Wisconsin: hawk taking squirrel on the fairway of the ninth hole; my foursome with Harmon Killebrew (baseball hero of yore); sharing several holes with a fox stalking a gaggle of geese; pitching from 50 yeards, ball landing on another ball already on the green - other ball lands in hole, my pitch lands in bunker.

My club is just your typical small town country club so it won't compete with the big boys. But not a bad course. Our club has hosted the MS State Am a couple of times. Below are a couple of pics from the club's website. I'll have to take a few pics sometime.

img_712950_0_21a5fe6a6cebda84820215b6eadc3040.jpg

img_712950_1_e574899d19d1d0599d70a3d5da4243e3.jpg

My club is just your typical small town country club so it won't compete with the big boys.[/IMG]
--
Is that where you hit a hole-in-one?

I've never golfed but grew up near a golf course, so close that the neighborhood had a golf name but not near enough to have balls land on the bar-b-que. As a child I walked near the course often, only got hit in the head once, not bad but that 'splains it. Started walking near this one in '74 on the way to other interests. Yesterday pointed my camera at the course instead of at the so-called scenic view and remember how much I like the course itself.

Attachments

• IMG_2449.jpg
    IMG_2449.jpg
    623.7 KB · Views: 3
I have been taking lessons at this course a couple summers now. Hope to break 90 soon!

Visual memories of golf scenes past: AZ: ball of rattlesnakes rolling onto tee in front of us from hillside; dad saying he only wanted to walk with me, and when I finally convinced him to take a swing, he promptly hit it onto adjoining house on fairway; buddy playing par 3 9th twice, in three strokes total.

Attachments

• twinpeaks.jpg
    twinpeaks.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 115
I went to the East Potomac course at Hains point in downtown DC on Wednesday. It is an inexpensive "municipal" course owned by the National Park Service. Not a great course but wow, I had forgotten how beautiful the views are. Since we had a mild summer with a fair amount of rain the entire course was green. On the back nine, every other T shot is lined up with the Washington Monument - you almost think you could hit it (or maybe Jarhead would think he could hit it). I couldn't find anything online to do it justice but here is something that gives an idea of the setting:

Just make sure you get out before dark. :eek: Hains Point is one of the highest crime rate areas in DC. I cringe every time I see tourists wandering around down there at night. But it truly is beautiful. I love the Awakening statue there. My second favorite in all of DC after Einstein at the National Academy of Science.

Just make sure you get out before dark. :eek: Hains Point is one of the highest crime rate areas in DC. I cringe every time I see tourists wandering around down there at night.
I never heard anything about that. Are you sure it isn't outdated info? I have been living on Capitol Hill for 26 years and never heard any scary stories about Hains Point. Besides - how could it be a high crime area at night, there is no one there at night.
But it truly is beautiful. I love the Awakening statue there. My second favorite in all of DC after Einstein at the National Academy of Science.
Agreed, but Awakening is gone. It got bought by the developers of Harbor Place - they are installing it in the sand along the river there. Einstein remains :)

I have been taking lessons at this course a couple summers now. Hope to break 90 soon!

Visual memories of golf scenes past: AZ: ball of rattlesnakes rolling onto tee in front of us from hillside; dad saying he only wanted to walk with me, and when I finally convinced him to take a swing, he promptly hit it onto adjoining house on fairway; buddy playing par 3 9th twice, in three strokes total.

Pretty view. Someday I hope to take a long golf vacation with mountain views in the back ground. Preferable during late summer when it is hot here and cool there. :)

Truthfully, my info could be out of date. I've lived in Arlington for 30 years (until this year), but haven't been going into town very often for the last few.Parking has gotten impossible. But there always used to be people in the park at night, with a very slight Park Police presence. When I was younger it was a well known place to score drugs, and there were fights and muggings constantly. It was always considered a great place to be during the day, and really iffy at night. My personal experience extends to about 10 years ago, and I haven't been by there much since then. But you know how it is when you get your first impression of something. That's the way it stays for the most part.

Rustic, that is an especially beautiful place! I enjoyed the pictures a great deal, and I would never have thought a golf course would be so pretty. Very nice, and thank you for sharing!

Just make sure you get out before dark. :eek: Hains Point is one of the highest crime rate areas in DC. I cringe every time I see tourists wandering around down there at night. But it truly is beautiful. I love the Awakening statue there....
-
I was terrified waiting for a bus or cab in the block near the National Portrait Gallery; how does that compare?

We have several public courses in town, they groom ski tracks around them in the winter, which is nice when you want a more relaxing crosscountry ski than the dedicated ski trails in town.

We have several public courses in town, they groom ski tracks around them in the winter, which is nice when you want a more relaxing crosscountry ski than the dedicated ski trails in town.
There is something inherently wrong in mixing golf and snow skiing...:p

Last edited by a moderator:
-
I was terrified waiting for a bus or cab in the block near the National Portrait Gallery; how does that compare?

That's right down by Chinatown. One of the nicer areas of DC. But after dark there are many semi-scary parts of DC, even staying out of SW. Donheff might disagree. I think what you have here is one of those situations where the people that live there feel perfectly safe, while visitors tend to be more nervous. Probably the same in NY, LA, Chicago, etc.

Even Capital Hill, where donheff lives, can be nervous-making. We used to go to the Mall (Smithsonians), Union Station, the Post Office, and Chinatown a lot, but I got tired of being hounded for handouts, and weirded out by the crazy street people (as opposed to the normal ones).

I only lived 3 miles from DC, but usually found it easier and more fun to do things outside the district than to go in.

That's right down by Chinatown. One of the nicer areas of DC. But after dark there are many semi-scary parts of DC, even staying out of SW. Donheff might disagree. I think what you have here is one of those situations where the people that live there feel perfectly safe, while visitors tend to be more nervous. Probably the same in NY, LA, Chicago, etc.

Even Capital Hill, where donheff lives, can be nervous-making. We used to go to the Mall (Smithsonians), Union Station, the Post Office, and Chinatown a lot, but I got tired of being hounded for handouts, and weirded out by the crazy street people (as opposed to the normal ones).

I only lived 3 miles from DC, but usually found it easier and more fun to do things outside the district than to go in.
-
That's a riot! Someone warned me about it but I was motivated to go. The area seemed bombed out, all boarded up with plywood. I stayed about a block from Union Station and felt perfectly safe there day and night. Where I live now, I used to talk long long walks and would go 16 blocks out of my way to avoid questionable areas.

I don't play golf yet, although I've hit balls and chasd them a couple of times. I'm planning to take lessons next spring, and should be on the senior tour in a couple years after that. It doesn't look that hard. >:D

These are pictures of the golf course that surrounds my neighborhood. Here is the fairway of the 6th hole as seen from my deck. The first body of water is a pond/water hazard. The second is the Assawoman Bay. That's Ocean City in the distance. The second picture is a downloaded picture for the 5th hole.

The course is Lighthouse Sound in Bishopville MD. It's a beautiful course. We ride our bikes on the cart path in the evenings. The only thing I'm worried about is that if I learn to play here I might not be able to play other courses where the wind isn't blowing 20 mph all the time. ;)

Attachments

• DSCF0164.JPG
    DSCF0164.JPG
    317.3 KB · Views: 2
  • wallpaper01m.jpg
    wallpaper01m.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 96
-
Cuppa - this is a result of not knowing a place well enough to be sure what to expect. I sometimes feel the same when I am in a new city and don't know about the area I am in. I'm down in the area you mentioned frequently and walk home from there with DW at night. The city has gotten very vibrant in the past decade or so and is safe in areas that used to be worrisome. The Portrait Gallery is in what is now called "The Penn Quarter" (north of Pennsylvania Ave). It is anchored by the Verizon Center and the Convention Center and is full of restaurants and people. Forty years ago people were fearful in the Capitol Hill area I live in. I have been here since 1982 and never had a problem. It is booming now - DW and I hope to stay till we drop.

Back
Top Bottom