He Went to Paris

Eagle43

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Jimmy Buffet's lyric, "He went to Paris, searching for answers to questions that bothered him so."  I can hear it now.

Anyway, a short trip report.  Loved Paris.  Walked at least 120 miles or so, while there.  Drank red wine, ate croissants,  and cafe au lait, every day.  Did the usual tourist stuff.  Enjoyed the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, got on top of the Arc de triomphe, Notre Dame and Sacre Couer, etc.  We rode the metro all over town.  We did not see the rioting as we were southwest of the Eiffel Tower and most of that stuff was northeast of Paris. 

The Parisian lifestyle is great.  I never saw so many cafes, brasseries, restaurants, boulangers.  It got to where I believed that's all they do is eat.  So, you go somewhere, walk a lot, stop for a couple hours at a cafe, have a meal with lots of wine, then you walk again.  Most of the people (at least 99%) were not fat.  In fact, I played "Find the fat Frenchman" one day on the metro.  DW and I looked for heavys while traveling that day, and did not find one.  It's incredible, because when we walked on the Champs Elysee, there were hundreds and hundreds of people walking every night, and they are not heavy.  Try doing that in your average U.S. mall.  I usually drink white wine here in Texas, but am converting to red.  It's addictive. 

We went to the Moulin Rouge for dinner/show.  Thought I had died and gone to heaven.  Lots of perfectly firm boobies, don't ya know, just above my head.  Heck of a show and the dinner was excellent. One tidbit, the stage moves.  One act had one of the dancers diving into a pool with four boa constrictors, wrapping one around her while in the water.

Took two side trips; one to Versailles and the other to Omaha Beach. Got to go into a German bunker.  Nearly 10,000 Americans killed there that day, and several thousand missing.  And the graveyard is overwhelming.

Anyway, at the risk of boring you, take it from me, if you get a chance, go.  Oh, it is expensive, so bring money.
C'est tu!

Isn't that line that you quoted referring to Jim Morrison who overdosed there in Paris ?

My wife and I went to Paris maybe 10 years ago and had similar experiences as you describe.  We absolutly loved it and and we'll have a hard time not returning if and when we go to europe again.  I would recommend to anyone going - get into hiking "shape" before the trip and take your most comfortable hiking shoes with you (no matter what they look like).  The French are very friendly too if you only try and speak their language . . .  if you don't try they will treat you like dirt (and rightfully so in my opinion).  Conversations were sometimes me speaking poor french and them speaking poor english . . . and both of us respectfull that we were making the attempt.   

A thin slice of french ham, with some jarlsberg cheese on a fresh baked baguette to take on the TGV down to Nice/Monaco...exquisite. Then drive back to Paris, with stops in Lyon, Dijon (if you like mustard on your sandwich) and Versailles.

Be sure to hit a couple of vineyards places in Cognac region with those big houses on them. They even take you up for a balloon ride if you want! :eek:

Barging through the french countryside is another neat alternative in France when you get tired of the big ship cruises.

French food is okay, too. I do miss Julia, though.

[quote author=acg French food is okay, too. I do miss Julia, though.

French food...I meant french fries :)

Off to Paris with my Honey tonight!?!?! Can't hardly wait!

MasterBlaster said:
Isn't that line that you quoted referring to Jim Morrison who overdosed there in Paris ?
I don't think so.  He t'is. One of my favorite songs....
He Went to Paris
----------------
by Jimmy Buffett

He went to Paris looking for answers
To questions that bothered him so
He was impressive, young and aggressive
Saving the world on his own
But the warm summer breezes, those french wines and cheeses
Put his ambitions at bay
The summers and winters scattered like splinters
And four or five years slipped away

So he went to England, played the piano
And married an actress named Kim
They had a fine life, she was a good wife
And bore him a young son named Jim
And all of the answers to all of the questions
He locked in his attic one day
He liked the quiet, clean country living
And twenty more years slipped away

But the war took his baby, the bombs killed his lady
And left him with only one eye
His body was battered, his whole world was shattered
And all he could do was just cry
The tears were a falling, and he was recalling
The answers he never found
So he hopped on a freighter, sailed across the ocean
And left England without a sound

Now he lives in the islands, fishing the pylons
And drinks his green label each day
Writing his memoirs, losing his hearing
And he don't care what most people say
Through eighty-six years of perpetual motion
If he likes you he'll smile and he'll say
Jimmy some of it's magic and some of it's tragic
But I had a good life all the way

And he went to to Paris, looking for answers
To questions that bothered him so.
---

retire@40 said:
And you didn't try the absinthe?
Not a drop. But just didn't think about it.  Hell, I had enough trouble quaffing the red wine.  Heading for the liquor store today to stock up.

acg said:
You did mean "pommes frite", didn't you?  ;) C'est tres bien.

Eagle43 said:
I don't think so.  He t'is. One of my favorite songs....
He Went to Paris
----------------

You did mean "pommes frite", didn't you?  ;) C'est tres bien.

Those fries in Amsterdam in the paper cone w/ mayonnaise are awesome, too.

My all time favorite food is the all american hot dog...I even consider Coney Islands being in it's own food group at the top of the nutrition chart when my cholesterol levels get dangerously low!  :D

Happy you enjoyed your time in Paris. Make the trip as long as it still it is possible and pleasurable. Things are changing. Slowly but steadily ! It took me a lot of time (pleasure) to raise two children and in the "banlieux" they have 10 and let them go out and put to fire the country...
Those of us who have some memories left (not that many) feel indebted to you for Omaha and for not speaking German. Seeing De Villepin as the leader of the anti-US coalition at NATO and Chirac kissing Schroder first for the 60th anniversary is not of the taste of all the French. Though not sharing US views on Irak, we had no reason to voice so loudly against, we should have first remembered that an ally is an ally, dot.
Having said that, living in France is nice but I'll relocate to a place where having money is not a sin. I'm 45 and I enjoy my ER !!!
Patrice.

For years people told me, "Go to Paris. It's a beautiful city." I always thought, "What does that mean?" I had no interest in Paris. Then about 8 years ago I had to be in Lille for a couple of weeks with a 3 day weekend in the middle, so I visited Paris for three days. I came home and immediately planned a return trip to Paris with my DW and we've been back twice since then.

My advice: Go to Paris. It's a beautiful city. :)

My DW and I were also there 8 years ago and I agree.

One of the best cities you'll ever visit. Were looking forward to going back but haven't had the time as of yet.

Eagle,

When you say expensive, can you give us all an idea on costs during your stay?

Cost to eat out per meal, transportation, hotel * & price paid, etc.

I have an interest in visiting Paris myself in the future.

Thanks,
Petey

Eagle43 said:
Anyway, at the risk of boring you, take it from me, if you get a chance, go.  Oh, it is expensive, so bring money.
C'est tu!

Eagle will tel us more of his story, but in the meantime I can give you with a couple of hints (having been hundreds of time there...).
Basically public transportation, though extremely unpleasant as crammed with (too) often tired (and stinking) people is cheap. If you take a "Paris visite" in Orly, you can use the tube (RER) and metro all day for 15 euros. Taxis are more expensive but perhaps the cheapest in France and honest (not the case in Nice for instance). Meals are expensive, I would say that you'll have nothing for less than 25 euros in a cheap restaurant (more with wine) per person. Finally the bear market has started for the euro since the French voted against the constitution and the travel will be cheaper as time goes on for you as you'll have more euros for your bucks. Then entertainment will cost I would say rather the same as in a large and expensive US city.
Hope you'll have some good time with us.

2 cups of coffee... 5 euros
average meal..  (I'm guessing)... 25-30 euros each..  this is having 3 courses.. an appetizer, an entree, and one of those delicious deserts.  Since we ate two meals daily, that's 100 euros or so and doesn't count the coffee and croissants we had for breakfast. I gather you could eat a lot cheaper at the Hard Rock Cafe or McDonalds but I refused to do this until I got into the airport returning home.  

We always ordered mineral water... no sparkle.. couple of euros.  You could buy it in supermarket a lot cheaper, of course.

A bagel, plain was just under a euro...

Ride to the top of Eiffel Tower..  10.25 Euros each
Climb to top of Arc de Triomphe ...  7 euros per..  284 steps up.. no elevator.
The Louvre.. 6 Euros each, plus 5 euros each for audio self-guided tour.

One trip on the metro 1.20 euros.  You can get day and weekly passes which are cheaper.  We got a 3-day ticket and then paid daily afterwards.  We took a taxi but I cannot remember what I paid.  Caution:  Watch for your change. If you're speaking English, he won't return it, unless you ask.

Moulin Rouge show/dinner  320 euros for two.  You get a 2-hour show and excellent food and a bottle of champagne.  I exchanged champagne for red wine at no cost.  If you purchase an extra bottle of anything... 90 euros.  A couple next to us wanted a photo near the stage... 28 euros.  You cannot take your own pics inside during the show.. maybe afterwards, but I did not try.

There's a cool ride in the Canal St Martin, thru the locks... 16 euros each.

Because of indolence, I did not get to the Omaha Beach until a Sunday.  Natch, everything was closed and I had to hire a taxi.  100 euros and the train cost 100 euros for two.  T'was expensive side trip but I wanted to do it.  You can do it cheaper if you go on a week day and go to Caen (I went to Bayeaux) which is a bigger train stop.

We opted out of a dinner cruise on the Seine at night.  Cost 200 euros.  We did take an afternoon cruise, and I think it was 30 or 40 euros, no food, just a ride for two.

I had free lodging, can't comment on hotels, although just north of paris I saw signs for 38 euros... big signs on hotels.  They might be dumps, but they should be on a Metro Line and that price is very good.

Best way to get to/from Charles de Gaulle Airport.  Air France Bus.  It covers the terminals and takes you to the Arc de Triomphe.  9 euros roundtrip each. 

A must-see  Le Palais Garnier... the Opera House...7 euros each.  Very impressive.  Weight of the chandelier.  8 tons.  Auditorium is red and gold with 1900 red velvet seats and a ceiling painted by Marc Chagall. 

All of this is quoted from memory.  I could be wrong, but not by much.  If anybody disputes or knows better, I won't argue. Since I went advantage miles and stayed in a small apt at no cost, I got away very cheaply.  

Oh, I bought Euros at bank in Texas.. Paid  $1.26.  Upon return, I had 50 Euros... got paid $1.12.... You can do the math on those euro prices above.

Not much to add to eagle's message, pretty comprehensive.
Hotels are cheaper than in Brussels ! I would avoid those 38 euros signs... might not be confortable unless you have no choice. For example a 2 stars, like hotel Fondary, 30 rue Fondary in the XVeme where I used to go (+33 1 45 75 14 75) will cost somewhere around 125 euros (breakfeast included) min. It's not a palace ! just something decent. and quiet as it is in the very middle of the town but still a small street not too far from RER and metro Emile Zola at the end of the street. Map available @ http://www.pagesjaunes.fr and fill in the slots with name, address and 75015 postcode you'll get a map.
Patrice.
PS as people are sensitive here, I'm not paid to send people to Fondary !!! :)

At age 18 I went to Paris alone and attended college for one year.  Got a single room flat on the Champs.  Best year of my life and I came of age in many ways.  Learned survival skills that have been invaluable to me ever since.  Also learned an appreciation for hard work and what money can do, (which I had none and have actually begged on the street.)  I also learned what a wonderful country we live in here in the USA.

I have gone back several times, the last in July to watch Lance win the Tour de France.  Amazing feeling to see the Champs lined with American flags brought over by proud Americans.

Paris had not changed over these years at all.  The people are the same.  It is a wonderful city, great place to visit and learn, but I feel lucky to live here in the US.

Sailaway

Sailaway, if I may and with all respect, Champs Elysées have not changed but Paris at large including the banlieues are changing everyday with more people flooding from many poor countries hoping to have a better future here and getting dispaired in the end !
Could you elaborate a bit about the feeling you have or opinion you voice to feel lucky (which you propbably are) to be in the US ?
Patrice

poyet said:
Sailaway, if I may and with all respect, Champs Elysées have not changed but Paris at large including the banlieues are changing everyday with more people flooding from many poor countries hoping to have a better future here and getting dispaired in the end !
Could you elaborate a bit about the feeling you have or opinion you voice to feel lucky (which you propbably are) to be in the US ?
Patrice

Patrice,

I am interested in your observation that the large immigration and high birth rates of people who are of different ethnicity, religion, culture and political heritage from the home population of France are changing the nature of French life, most clearly and immediately in the banlieues. From your tone, I surmise that you do not consider this an unalloyed blessing.

I have expressed on this board similar misgivings about current immigration policies in the USA. This expression has met with quite a bit of disagreement, and even some name-calling.

I believe Europe, in particular France, Germany, Netherlands and to some extent the UK are farther along this road than the US, in spite of currently having smaller populations of lower class and ethnically concentrated immigrant groups than the USA. I believe however that the road goes to the same place -Balkanization of a formerly relatively cohesive society.

Would you be willing to share more of your observations and ideas on the situation in France, and what changes in French life you feel may come as a result of these perhaps unstoppable demographic trends?

It must be difficult for France, which afterall inherited from fallen Rome the mantle of western civilization, and has nationhood over 1000 years old, to find itself under this kind of challenge.

Thanks-

Ha

The Nov 12 edition of The Economist points out how France created the situation by excluding "immigrants" (i.e., minorities regardless of French birth) culturally and economically from French society. A primary cause is insane labour policies that shelter "insider" workers and exclude and marginalize "outsiders" from the labour market. High minimum-wage laws encourage discrimination, of course. "Immigrants" have been living with this for 30 years.

This situation is a test-tube case of how to do everything wrong. I love train wrecks, but this particular situation will harm all of Europe and potentially the New World as well.

Speaking of train wrecks, I think I will leave Venezuela off my list of places to visit for a while.

El Gitano

Stop reading the Economist and spend some time with us to see the thruth which is that nobody who has some knowledge and competencies to do something useful has never ever been excluded from the work market whatever his / her origins. Those who burn the schools that were freely available for their instruction, burn the very symbol of their failure to work hard and learn something. It is often said that even those who obtained diplomas have no jobs. This is unfortunately somehow true for everybody whatever color or origins because the economy is structurally slow due to high level of taxes both on companies and individuals and other issues I will not develop.
Those who claim to have been excluded have simply excluded themselves. Interested in hiring someone whatever color, name origin or address whose main know-how is burning cars & schools ? That's a good CV for undertaking revolution not for getting a job.
It is not only unbearable to read such a claim that asserts that French society would have engineered or encouraged discrimination, it is merely plain wrong.

I have to agree with Poyet, but for a different reason. The Economist is advocating the "screw the worker" globalization of labor markets that is the current fashion in the US. While college educated workers have prospered under this regime, it has very hard for the less educated or less skilled workers, who have seen their real wages plummet. Just look at unemployment among African Americans. Or go to a non-union job site, and listen to see if you hear any English being spoken, other than by the foreman.

Under the political and economic fashion of today in Anglo-Saxon countries, this is seen to be more of less the cost of doing business. Continental Europe OTOH has politically strong unions, and no desire to exchange a very satisfying and successful social order for some theory of open borders.

From my perch, seems like a fairly reasonable idea.

Anyhow, I am not a theorist, but I can see the train coming. The same train comes at us in the US, but we are just a bit behind on the timeline.

But hey guys, enjoy your cheap maids and pool-boys!

Ha

Back
Top Bottom