Once a week or less 7 5.88%
2-3 times a week 17 14.29%
4 times a week 19 15.97%
5-6 times a week 37 31.09%
Once a day or more 39 32.77%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Depends on what kind of home you stay in. I live in an apartment with a clubhouse and since I exercise almost everyday in the gym or swimming pool, I usually need to get out of my home. However, the longest duration I can hang around my home and clubhouse is just 2 days, afterwhich, I'll be itching to go outside.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2012, 06:26 AM   #42

Well, I was retired, then went back to work. I could go three or four days without leaving the house but after that I'd start getting cabin fever.

Early on we had a well forecasted severe snow (3 feet) and we didn't go out of the house for a week. The last two days were when we were starting to mildly feel the need to get out somewhere. We know others who would probably kill each other if they had to stay inside for four days in a row.

When I started another new book at work last night, (after 6:00 PM or so the biggest interruption is usually dinner) I realized that what I was reading was a college textbook, not something most people would read for pleasure: Photoshop Masking & Compositing, 2nd ed., Katrin Eismann, Sean Duggan, James Porto.

All in all, it is behavior consistent with the INTJ personality type more apparently more common on this board than elsewhere.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For me it's seasonal, most of the year I go out every day but in winter I may stay in for up to 3 days before I get cabin fever.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Only because in North Dakota it takes three days to shovel a path from the house to the road after each weekly snowfall.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
The reason I go out and get coffee often, is it just simply tastes better. I get out 2x a week. If it was next door, I would go get it everyday. Maybe I need a more sophisticated coffee maker. It seems like coffee anywhere is better than what my coffee maker makes. Although it is not so bad that I wont drink it.
Legitimate reason for sure. I guess we have perfected home brew coffee to the point that I prefer it over coffee from a coffee shop or restaurant. And the funny thing is the coffee grounds are absolutely the cheapest we have found. $5.xx for a 35 oz can from walmart - Master Chef brand I think??

Not that we are coffee connoisseurs at all. But what we make tastes good to us and has the right strength. Starbucks regular coffee for example tastes burnt to me. Other places often taste watered down.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Legitimate reason for sure. I guess we have perfected home brew coffee to the point that I prefer it over coffee from a coffee shop or restaurant. And the funny thing is the coffee grounds are absolutely the cheapest we have found. $5.xx for a 35 oz can from walmart - Master Chef brand I think??

Not that we are coffee connoisseurs at all. But what we make tastes good to us and has the right strength. Starbucks regular coffee for example tastes burnt to me. Other places often taste watered down.
+1 (insert local generic brand here)
Old 09-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
+1 (insert local generic brand here)
I order whole bean coffee in 5 lb bags from Dunkin Donuts, using their subscription option online and have it delivered right to my door. I can delay the next delivery date past the usual 10 week auto-ship.
I prefer the taste of DD decaf to anything available in the grocery store. Even with shipping, it is still cheaper than the by-the-pound price of DD coffee locally and the self-help whole beans sold in the grocery store.
I store the beans in glass containers in a dark cupboard above the refrigerator. I grind a small amount every few days. Woooooooo
I skimp on other things on my shopping list, but things like coffee and mayonnaise just have to be certain brands.
For the record, I've been to Starbucks exactly three times. It was in Syracuse NY, near the IMAX at the Museum of Science & Technology. I had time to kill, so I fugured what the heck.
The young man behind the counter was very pushy even though there was only a few people behind me. I let them through and asked questions about the different coffees when it was my turn. He obviously had sampled several cups himself because he was hyper as hell. Or something...

Anyway, back to our regular programming.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #48

I can't vote because I'm not retired, but for 2 years I worked 3 days a week, which left me with 4 days a week of freedom. I left the house every day - most days to sit in the lanai and play with my parakeet (does that even count as leaving the house ??). I also took a bicycle ride to pick up groceries on sale twice a week (does that count ?). About once a week I would go to a local park for a bike ride (that definitely counts). Definite homebody and can't wait until I can do it full time !
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Only because in North Dakota it takes three days to shovel a path from the house to the road after each weekly snowfall.
I'm in an apartment now. Snowfall is no longer my problem.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

I get outside several times a day for long puppy walks; although I am pretty introverted, I also try to meet with friends at least three or four times a week, even sometimes stooping to have coffee at the dreaded Starbucks (hey, it's a convenient place to have a cup of coffee--sometimes a cup of coffee is just a cup of coffee, not a statement). Maybe that's my form of Dawg's meds!

DH and I do many things together of course but it's just as important to us that we also have friends of our own.

I've read many times that maintaining social relationships--even the level of saying hello to the librarian imho--is an important factor in living a long and happy life--here's an article about a study of studies: A wide social circle could encompass a longer life - Los Angeles Times

Quote:
....People with adequate social relationships — friends, family and community involvement — were 50% less likely to die during study periods than those with sparse social support, the authors found. It's an effect comparable to that of quitting smoking....

...Does social connectedness foster good health or are people in good health simply more likely to be socially connected? ....the studies don't explain how social contacts could drive good health. And they don't rule out the possibility of unknown differences that may exist between people who are social and those who are not — and that those differences, not the social links that ride along with them, could be the real things driving health outcomes.

Yet there is mounting evidence in the scientific literature that social relationships do affect health.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I do the mall-walking thing every day, but don't really count that, so checked 2-3 times. Often that hour 1st thing in the am is the only thing I do all day
Old 09-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #52

Having many close social contacts would just nudge me closer to an early grave. Maybe that's a little too much "I" in the ISTJ but to try and be otherwise is a lot of work and psychological "coal burning". One of the most immediate uplifting effects of ER was I didn't have to go anywhere or talk to anybody all week if I didn't want to
Old 09-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

I voted 2-3 x's/wk. But I most mornings I drive 1 1/2 miles to a track to walk my 3+ miles, so I sorta don't count that as being "on the go". I feel as if I am more of a "homebody" & am very content with my own company @ home, & dh doing his own thing here or elsewhere.

Every step of the journey is the journey.
Bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

I suspect we will be like my in-laws, in that MIL never needs to leave the apartment, but FIL goes stir-crazy quickly. That said, here in the burbs, I would love to never leave the house (I buy all food in one weekly trip, etc.) but when we move back to the city, that will likely change a lot. Here, I'm much happier staying in because as long as I'm in, it doesn't make much difference where the house is.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #55

I work very part time from the house....I can go a couple of days without leaving the house. The regular trips are for grocery, pick up soon to be husband from work, gym, or curb shopping so I can have more material for my renovation addiction!
Old 09-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #56

I like to do my food shopping 3-4 times a week, just picking up a few things each time. I also have my run to Home Depot frequently. I am usually out at least once a day.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #57

I like to do my food shopping 3-4 times a week, just picking up a few things each time. I also have my run to Home Depot frequently. I am usually out at least once a day. I like to keep my outings brief and get back home.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I don't know how to answer this. Whether we are in our in-town home or the boondock home, we usually take a walk of about 1 to 2 miles each day around the neighborhood. Does that count?

Other than that, when in town, we usually go grocery shopping once or twice a week, and go to the library once a week. Or I might have to dash out to the hardware or electronics stores for some parts for a project. When up in the boondocks for a week-long stay, the car is often parked until we leave.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
For those of you who are retired, how often do you actually leave your home to go somewhere? Some people -like DW- seem to enjoy staying home for days at a time, and others -like me- seem to experience "cabin fever" rather quickly. So where do you stand?
I have to leave my home every time I want to go surfing.

But OTOH I find it extremely annoying to drive 20-30 miles round trip to town.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote