How many states have you been to?

My advice is to get off the interstate and drive the older US highways and the scenic byways.
+1

We figured, in WV, (as just one example), that pretty much only local residents used some of the back roads we went on.......people outside would look up when we drove by, as if to see if they recognized the vehicle.....then they'd get puzzled looks like "Who the $@*& is that?"

The only way to travel......and that applies just about anywhere.

I've visited 35 states. I'm missing many of the plains states, plus a couple of other states. I'm trying to get my wife excited about buying a motorhome to visit all of the states when we retire. She thinks that she will miss her horses too much.

Been to 33 states so far. Not just drove through, actually spent at least some time on the ground there. Lived in NC, TX, LA & WI. The 33 includes Alaska & Hawaii. Don't know about a single favorite. I'm quite happy when I'm in Texas, Arizona, North Carolina, Florida....heck, I'm pretty happy most everywhere. I even really liked Wisconsin in the winter when it got down to 34 degrees & I had snow 2 feet higher than my mailbox!!! I guess I'm just a happy camper, wherever I am. At this moment, I'm in Bossier City, LA and am smiling. :)

Lets see:

Nevada
California
Arizona
Utah
Idaho
Oregon
Washington
North Carolina
South Carolina
Florida

I have been to airports in Texas, Colorado and Georgia in addition. I took a trip to Arkansas by car from Nevada as a baby, but don't remember it. And no, I didn't drive. :D

I've lived in 8 states (Ohio, West Virginia, Connecticut, Illinois, California, Texas, New York, Florida) and spent at least one night in 21 others plus DC. No favorites among those where I've lived - fond memories in each.

After this coming trip it will be 42. (we'll be visiting, for the first time, Utah, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming and Montana over the next 4 months).

Missing:

Alaska
Connecticut
Kansas
Maryland
Rhode Island
Vermont
Minnesota
Wisconsin

I've been to 48 and DC and Puerto Rico. Still waiting to visit Vermont and Maine.

+1

We figured, in WV, (as just one example), that pretty much only local residents used some of the back roads we went on.......people outside would look up when we drove by, as if to see if they recognized the vehicle.....then they'd get puzzled looks like "Who the $@*& is that?"

The only way to travel......and that applies just about anywhere.

Are you sure you weren't in Arizona driving by my house?

Attachments

• 100_2025.jpg
    100_2025.jpg
    823.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Everything east of the Mississippi, only a handful west. Short 15 states.

Maine blew me away--never expected to love it so much. Oklahoma too I found really pretty, and surprised to really like coastal California, including LA. But I think my favorite would be South Carolina.

I am missing Alaska, Idaho, Minnesota, Montana, North Dakota, and South Dakota. So, that makes 44 states visited. I noticed that I could more-or-less drive through all but Alaska using a single, unbroken trip. In fact, DW and I are considering visiting SD (Mt. Rushmore et. Al.) this summer so we might just hit the others as well. I'm not sure I'll ever make it to AL. I'd like to go, but just the logistics (and cost) are impediments right now. At my age, I'd better get with the program or else I'll miss the opportunity.

My favorite state is HI. Most of the good things (and a few of the bad) are true about HI, but I guess I love HI for the weather, the people, the mountains and the ocean. I kinda wish Oahu were bigger (or else had fewer cars).

My favorite states to visit are probably CO and CA (I could live in CO, but not SoCal).

Specifically checking off all 50 states isn't a significant goal of mine. However, I've enjoyed every state I've visited, so I have to assume that the 6 I've missed have charms I'd be a fool to miss with the time I have left. YMMV

Completed all 50 in 2011, last one being ND. Had been at 49 for the past 7-8 yrs, just never got a chance to get to ND. I include a state in my list when we have spent at least one night there and seen some key tourist stuff.

Favorite is definitely Hawaii. California was among the top, so we now moved here from the midwest! Hoping to live in Hawaii some day.

I've been to 26 states. Of the 24 I haven't been to, 18 are east of The Mississippi. Of those 18, I have no interest in visiting at least 12 of them. I don't want to fly so that eliminates Hawaii and probably Alaska. So I hope to eventually visit 36 states. The Gulf states other than Florida are likely the next states for me to add to the list. Florida has been my favorite state to visit so far.

I've had feet (or tires) on the ground in every state except North Dakota.

Also been to US and British Virgin Islands sailing and to Puerto Rico. I've been to Alberta, Yukon, British Columbia, Manitoba, and Ontario. Also Mexico & Costa Rica. Can't forget Cuba (does Gitmo count), England, Scotland, and Switzerland, and Japan.

Future plans, in most likely order, if I don't run out of time: Ireland, Italy, France, Germany,and Czech Republic.

I've lived in GA, CA, RI, MA, IA.

It would be hard to pick a favorite place I've lived since they all have strong points and weak points. For example, CA has the best weather, but they also have earthquakes. I like the people in GA, but the summer heat can be oppressive. I think it would be interesting to live in different places throughout the year, but I'd have to deal with the pets and rental property, so I probably won't.

I find this thread quite interesting, especially inasmuch as some choices for 'favorites' I'd probably label as 'least favorite', (and likely vice versa for other people regarding my selections for either category).

"Different strokes...."

I've been thru every state many times via planes, trains and auto. But using stayed in as 3-4 nights, it is 34 states. If 1 night hotel, then it is 39 but why, that aint staying.

I've been to 45 states + DC. I'm missing:

West Virginia
Tennessee
Kentucky
Kansas
Alaska

I've lived in:
Connecticut - 18 yrs
Mississippi - 6 months
California - 36 yrs

I have to say that California is my favorite. Mostly because it is so diverse. As others have said, North and South are very different. But then again so is the coast vs the Sierras. I do miss New England seasons. I picked up a few states last Sept when I drove to Chicago. I can easily see a vacation that covers WV, TN, KY, and maybe Kansas.

I have been to 50 States...

During the riding season of 2006 I rode my motorcycle to all 48 contiguous States from Wisconsin.

In 2008 I rode my motorcycle from Wisconsin to Alaska through Canada including the Yukon and then back to Wisconsin.

I have had more than 1 day stays in 36 states. Feet or tires on ground in all but Alaska, Mississippi, Arkansas, Maine and Vermont.

Found something likeable about almost all of them.

I've been to many including Alaska, but I didn't know I was supposed to keep track. :cool:

I have lived in Ohio, Oregon, Michigan and Tennessee. Been in 36 of the 50. I am missing Hawai, Alaska, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire and many of the great plains and Rocky Mountain states. My favorite one for diversity of scenery and beauty was Oregon, though would not desire to live there.

I hope to visit and spend time in all 50 when I retire. Those I have not been to yet that I want to see the most are Hawaii, Alaska and New Mexico.

I've been to many including Alaska, but I didn't know I was supposed to keep track. :cool:

You were supposed to buy the little state refrigerator magnet when you entered a state for the first time so your refrigerator would show you right away where the gaps were. I'm sorry, you're going to have to start over now.

Attachments

• refrigerator magnets.jpg
    refrigerator magnets.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 72
Any you don't remember maybe shouldn't count? :whistle:

Just 12 for me, mostly the East Coast.
I love Vermont, where my sister lives, but just for visiting, couldn't stand the cold.
And Colorado was beautiful, too.
I'd like to see Idaho and some of the Pacific Northwest at some point, as well as South & North Dakota.

Back
Top Bottom