Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-21-2017, 10:43 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I wonder if the system can be queried for missed deliveries in the past...

I'm still waiting for the $40 of stamps I was promised for completing one of their mail diaries / survey last December. I suspect it was mis-delivered and the recipient said "Whoopee!".

Never again.

_B

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Gentlemen DO read others' mail -- maybe rewrite it too
Old 04-21-2017, 05:12 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Gentlemen DO read others' mail -- maybe rewrite it too

Why haven't the conspiracy theory nobs gotten a hold of this?

Sure sure. Nod nod wink wink. The USPS is photo scanning the mail. What's really happening is a secret guvment agent is actually using high tech methods to not only electronically capture the image of the exterior of the envelop but they also have an algorithm to digitally capture the content therein. In other words, they are reading your mail.

Bonus points. Not only can they read the content but they can also rewrite the correspondence. Whoosh. All in the time that it takes for the envelop to run thru the "scanner".

I'm thinking we have a plot for a book or even better a serialized movie. Where's Al?

Old 04-21-2017, 05:51 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I went to one of the local Post Offices that is doing sign-ups, to complete my in-person verification. The lady knew what I wanted, as she had done one for a fellow just recently. She scanned the barcode from my phone, swiped my driver's license, and gave me a receipt with a printed confirmation number. Shortly afterwards, I received an e-mail informing me that my identity had been successfully verified.

So far, so good, but I have a sneaky feeling that this service is not going to be of much use to me. Oh well - it was a good excuse for a bicycle ride up into Berkeley and lunch out, in this lovely sunny weather.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:44 PM   #44

A couple of notes about the service that might answer a few questions (I have been using it for about 3 weeks).

1) If you already have a USPS account and your account is frozen then you will NOT have to go to the PO to get verified. If you *don't* have an account and your credit is frozen, expect a trip to the PO and expect to get the service you would expect.

2) Once you are signed up, it will take a few days to get your first email notification. It took me 3 days, but now I get them daily. The time the email is sent is not consistent. Sometimes it's early, sometimes it's after the day's delivery has been made. But if I have gotten First Class mail, there has been an email.

3) Using the service for 3 weeks, there has yet to be a piece of "important mail" that wasn't scanned. If it's not a normal sized envelope, it will NOT be included in the email. I have had 3 pieces of "normal sized" mail that wasn't first class and wasn't included in the email.

4) The email has a link to report any mail that didn't arrive that is supposed to. I have not had this happen, so I am not sure what the email would do.

So, all in all, I am pretty happy with this, especially considering it is from the USPS which we all know has "sketchy" customer service, at best. I especially appreciate that there is no additional cost for the service so that adds a good bit of value for me.

After a couple more weeks of "beta testing" I will probably adjust my mail-getting routine. We rarely get anything worth a damn, so I would probably only check it every 3 or 4 days. Or on trash day when I can walk it from the mailbox directly to the recycle bin.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:32 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

There are a couple of towns close by that don't deliver the mail. This would be great for them. Save people a lot of wasted trips to the post office. Other than that, I can't see much value for me personally. We rarely get anything other than junk mail.
Old Yesterday, 04:59 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
1) If you already have a USPS account and your account is frozen then you will NOT have to go to the PO to get verified.
Not true in my case. I had an active USPS account and my credit was frozen. I still had to go to the PO. Of course they had never heard of the program, but that's a different issue.
Old Yesterday, 06:32 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
2) Once you are signed up, it will take a few days to get your first email notification. It took me 3 days...
+1

I signed up three days ago and just received my first notification email.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:45 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I got my first one just now, after signing up on Thursday. Didn't have to do anything other than fill out the form, so must have already been verified (longtime usps.com user, maybe that was it).

Strangely, my husband got a single one a few weeks ago, despite never signing up. That was how I first heard of the program, but forgot until you folks reminded me. Great for traveling or when you are waiting on something important.
Old Yesterday, 06:47 AM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

I signed up on 4/19 and am still waiting.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old Yesterday, 06:51 AM   #50

I signed up a week ago, and received my first notification this morning. Two pieces of mail. One for the prior homeowner, the other a mis-address" whose mail I have been receiving for years.
Old Yesterday, 07:07 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

We are signed up and it appears to be working great for us as our neighborhood has a centralized mailbox and it saves a trip once or twice a week.

Where I see great value in this is the ability to monitor elderly parents mail. My recently widowed MIL hasn't a clue about 1099's, etc. and this gives us the ability to be proactive to ensure that she doesn't toss or shred something.
Old Yesterday, 07:12 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I signed up a week ago, and received my first notification this morning. Two pieces of mail. One for the prior homeowner, the other a mis-address" whose mail I have been receiving for years.

If it is any consolation, my notification shows I'm getting our annual bills for our LTCI. That's a stress-inducer since the premiums have increased substantially in the past three years - up 50% in 2014 and up another 30% last year. Sigh...

Old Yesterday, 07:17 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry View Post
We are signed up and it appears to be working great for us as our neighborhood has a centralized mailbox and it saves a trip once or twice a week.
We've had a rash of centralized mailbox burglaries over the past couple of years - all happening at night. Because of this we've tried to pick up our mail every day. This should allow us to know what's there so we can risk letting the thieves have the Publisher's Clearinghouse Sweepstakes entry...

Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM   #54

I signed up last week. Thanks to the OP for sharing this.

My first email came today. My Costco coupons are in the mail - woohoo!

And a letter from my congressman...which will go in the trash promptly upon receipt.
Old Yesterday, 09:06 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

I signed up yesterday and received my first notification email today showing my junk mail. This is really helpful if it is accurate going forward.

However, I went on the USPS notification site and saw the mail delivery long before receiving the email. Email just now came through 2 1/2 hours after time on email delivery.
Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleb View Post
I signed up yesterday and received my first notification email today showing my junk mail. This is really helpful if it is accurate going forward.

However, I went on the USPS notification site and saw the mail delivery long before receiving the email. Email just now came through 2 1/2 hours after time on email delivery.
So far, my emails have come through between 7-7:30 AM, long before the day's delivery. Our physical delivery is usually between 2:30-4:30 PM.

-ERD50
Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM   #57

Informed Delivery lets the USPS earn extra money by selling your information. There are lots of companies that would love to know, for example, how many "Important Tax Documents" you receive.
Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I signed up last week. Thanks to the OP for sharing this.

My first email came today. My Costco coupons are in the mail - woohoo!

And a letter from my congressman...which will go in the trash promptly upon receipt.
I also got an email today that showed the Costco coupons.
Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Informed Delivery lets the USPS earn extra money by selling your information. There are lots of companies that would love to know, for example, how many "Important Tax Documents" you receive.
Good thing that very few of my financial documents are sent through the mail. I've set up electronic documents only everywhere I could.
Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Got an informed delivery notice of a Health and Human Services envelope and sure enough it was my Medicare card. Given how often the postal carrier messes up at this apartment complex, I was glad to have been alerted so I could be on the lookout.

My official notification of acceptance into Medicare went to my next door neighbor.