Life examples of why a FIRE goal is good

fisherman

Full time employment: Posting here.
My old Mega Corp boss just died at 54 last week. He planned to retire late this year at 55. if that was not sad enough a college and work friend just lot a daughter to the flu at 12yrs old last week also. We were enjoying a family vacation in FL for two weeks when these happened. I will be attending visitations this week for both.

I sure cannot explain why we deserved to be enjoying a wonderful family time and other had this happen but it sure makes me glad that we worked to make FIRE a reality so that we had so many wonderful times together the last two years since FIRE.

Hug your kids while you can!:(

Hug your kids while you can!:(

You betcha! And those grandkids too! :)

My increased availability for babysitting, visiting, taking grandkids canoeing/kayaking/camping, etc., since FIRE has been my biggest reward for a life of hard work and frugal living. Of course travel, relaxing, hobbies and time to myself ain't bad either!

You betcha! And those grandkids too! :)

.. while we are at it ... hug your wife, husband or significant other as it is shown that this alone could make you live longer and thus, enjoy your FIRE more...:flowers:

It's also a reminder of why a balance between aggressively saving for FIRE and enjoying what you have today is so important. Too many people have deprived themselves in the here and now to save for a future they may not even see.

It is also important to enjoy the journey. If you don't like what you are doing for 40 or 50 hours a week, make changes early in your career. That will lengthen your life as much as diet and exercise.

FIRE like anything else is a goal and a life with goals is a happier life.

Yep. Good to stop and smell the roses. Just watch out for the thorns.

When I was w*rking, I had a sad experience as I only had a boss for a few weeks before he died. One day, he had paralysis in his arms. After getting checked out, the doctors found out that he had several brain tumors. This all happened shortly before he had planned to FIRE.

Sometimes, people think I'm crazy for retiring at an early age. "How will you spend your time. Why retire so soon?"

I ask, if one can pull it off, "Why not retire early?"

I keep on thinking of that Billy Ray Cyrus (yes, "the other" Cyrus) song "Busy Man".
The words "Have you ever seen a headstone with these words 'If I've only spent more time at work'"

Billy Ray Cyrus - Busy Man lyrics

I was doing a consulting gig for Sun Microsystems in Montreal. I was working in a new practice. On Tuesday morning , the 38 year old who started the practice died of a heart attack after a morning run. This guy was a type A+ who was burning the candle at both ends.

Out of respect, the team on site put tools down and went back to the hotel for the day. Next morning, everybody was back at it, probably put in a 16 hr day for the previous lost day.

Busy man.

I'm sorry for the loss you have experienced. I know this feeling all too well. It's a jolt to our psyche, but perhaps it once again reminds us how fleeting life can be. Perhaps it will change our perspective on life for the better.

I'm proud of you....you're making precious memories and hopefully will be able to make many more. :)

It was not part of the reason for my FIRE, but certainly did confirm my decision. My cousin's husband and my DW best friends husband both died right before I parachuted out. They were also both in their late 50's.

Yes, everyone asks me what I do to fill my time and my replies are along the lines of:
1) more time with my friends and family (grandson especially)
2) my BP is down to 170/70's, which is an improvement over w*rking times and more importantly my stress level is approaching zero
3) my weight is down as is my waistline
4) I have time to eat healthier and exercise more
5) catching up on reading for pleasure
6) catching more fish than ever before
7) time to figure 'stuff' out ... whatever that might mean to someone
8) improving my poker game
9) learning another language
... and whatever the heck else I want to do

I really had to think about responding to this thread. It's very close to home. Ok...
We all know someone who passed too early, and are shocked when they are in their 50s. It seems that they spent too much time at w*rk, and in too many cases this is true.
But there are also those who can balance both w*rk and personal lives, yet still are robbed of the retirement they dreamed of. Fate, life, use any name you wish to give it...
The achievers still live life to the fullest, plus w*rk to the fullest, and can be happy doing both.
I know this can be done. :flowers:

OP - I am sorry for your losses. Be there for the families and speak well of their loved ones.

Back
Top Bottom