Little things mean a lot

jjquantz

Full time employment: Posting here.
I was just wondering if the rest of you discovered any little surprises upon ER? I mean, DW and and I had discussed that I would do more cooking - she really likes it when dinner is ready when she gets home from w*ork. This was neither a surprise nor particularly little.

The little surprise, however, is that we feel no need to clean up the kitchen after dinner. This was always a chore that we both hated because we had so little time in the evening. Now, we just stack the plates in the sink and I get to them the next day. Everyone is happy.

Any comparable little surprises out there?

For me it's how I seem to need less sleep. When I was still wo+king, no matter how long I slept, I was perpetually tired. Now I get much less sleep but feel very rested when I do get up.

Something else I find odd is I didn't dream too much then..but now I dream a lot. Unfortunately, I think that's related to going to law school. Way too many dreams about civil procedure class!

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors. :)

I now make the bed every single morning. The mess of an unmade bed didn't bother me during our last hectic years working - maybe because I couldn't wait to climb into at the end of each workday? Now, in FIRE, it gets made up first thing. Well, right after the first cup of coffee gets drunk, and the internet leisurely scanned for relevant news (using the term 'news' loosely :) )

Mine was how an intangible like 'freedom' (from work, forced travel, schedules, confrontation, fill in the blank) could so positively affect my overall feeling of well being.

Mine was how an intangible like 'freedom' (from work, forced travel, schedules, confrontation, fill in the blank) could so positively affect my overall feeling of well being.

+1

I'm amazed at how I now look at any "appointment" to be infringing on my freedom. It makes any volunteer activity requiring a time frame just unacceptable. Also, I find any need to be out when traffic is around to be horrid. It takes a real need to get me to do any shopping at Home Depot on a weekend.

I was just wondering if the rest of you discovered any little surprises upon ER? I mean, DW and and I had discussed that I would do more cooking - she really likes it when dinner is ready when she gets home from w*ork. This was neither a surprise nor particularly little.

The little surprise, however, is that we feel no need to clean up the kitchen after dinner. This was always a chore that we both hated because we had so little time in the evening. Now, we just stack the plates in the sink and I get to them the next day.

When we get through with dinner, everyone rinses their dishes and immediately puts their own dishes into the dishwasher. And before we do anything else, leftovers are off loaded into containers and put into the refrigerator. And pots and pans are rinsed and put into the dishwasher. Our sink and kitchen is kept clean at all times without much labor or trouble.

I now make the bed every single morning. The mess of an unmade bed didn't bother me during our last hectic years working - maybe because I couldn't wait to climb into at the end of each workday? Now, in FIRE, it gets made up first thing. Well, right after the first cup of coffee gets drunk, and the internet leisurely scanned for relevant news (using the term 'news' loosely :) )

+1, although I wait until I'm ready to shower, which is after morning walk and breakfast.

When we get through with dinner, everyone rinses their dishes and immediately puts their own dishes into the dishwasher. And before we do anything else, leftovers are off loaded into containers and put into the refrigerator. And pots and pans are rinsed and put into the dishwasher. Our sink and kitchen is kept clean at all times without much labor or trouble.
save some water and get a better dishwasher. We skip the rinsing of dishes... but they do get into the dishwasher quickly.
We do try many different things for dinner now that we have time to make special dishes. I've also expanded my cooking which i enjoy

We always had the rule that the last person out of bed has to make it (DH loves to sleep in a little after I get up, but he also really does like to make the bed so that worked out well over the years!).

I find that I love getting up early now that I don't have to (and don't have to make the bed ha hah).

I enjoy making and enjoying breakfast in my bathrobe. In warm weather I enjoy breakfasting on the deck. I have finally mastered the art of the omelette: this morning it was a savoury omelette with freshly made guacamole, tomato and cilantro. And two mugs of coffee, of course!

Mine is enjoying my walks on the beach with the dog most week days. I still have kids to get off to school, unlike most of you all, but since I'm already up - I just head out and start my day with a centering beach walk. The dog loves it too.

I think I'm experiencing "Blue Mind". The phenomena that being near the ocean reduces stress.

Well, I've always looked forward before FIRE to having every morning being a quiet time, enjoying how the dawn will unfold. And am enjoying that immensely!

But as for 'little surprises' in ER, I guess for me it is I've found I don't mind, actually enjoy, a mid-week drive to the grocery store after running out of something. Just a leisurely drive while most everyone else is at w*rk, roaming the aisles w/ no hurry, get what I need, and then a nice short drive home. Not a big deal, kinda relaxing.

My little surprise was how quickly I adapted to nice leisurely mornings of breakfast, coffee, and web surfing. The last year of w*rking, I left the house 30 minutes after getting out of bed. Now it takes me 90-120 minutes to start my day, and it's often my favorite time of the day.

When working in my blue collar job, I enjoyed reading related manuals. (Yes, I actually enjoy reading textbooks). Now I'm reading books about computing, physics, chemistry and I'm having a blast.

Problem is, I try to share with my wife and she puts a pretend gun to her head. I guess not everyone enjoys that stuff.

When working in my blue collar job, I enjoyed reading related manuals. (Yes, I actually enjoy reading textbooks). Now I'm reading books about computing, physics, chemistry and I'm having a blast.

Problem is, I try to share with my wife and she puts a pretend gun to her head. I guess not everyone enjoys that stuff.

My wife has told me that I'll never find a book club to discuss my reading - The last two titles were "How Rome Fell" and "The Extended Phenotype". I have always enjoyed reading history monographs and fairly technical science books in physics, astronomy, evolutionary science and the history of mathematics. Averaging about 5 books per week now - the library won't last too long at this rate.

I've really enjoyed everyone's responses - many have left me smiling. :D

Like jjquantz I'm a little concerned that the library will run out of things I want to read. I think the biggest surprise was how relaxed we both became after retirement and the move from DC area traffic. We hadn't realized we were that tense that it would make my sister comment on how relaxed we looked six months later.

This area doesn't have the population density that DC does and often a grocery run can be done on a weekend with little or no difference in the number of people in the store. It does depend a little on timing - I wouldn't try it on a Friday evening - but the grocery store is often surprisingly empty on a Saturday afternoon. That happens most often when I forget what day of the week it is.:LOL:

Like jjquantz I'm a little concerned that the library will run out of things I want to read. I think the biggest surprise was how relaxed we both became after retirement and the move from DC area traffic. We hadn't realized we were that tense that it would make my sister comment on how relaxed we looked six months later.

This area doesn't have the population density that DC does and often a grocery run can be done on a weekend with little or no difference in the number of people in the store. It does depend a little on timing - I wouldn't try it on a Friday evening - but the grocery store is often surprisingly empty on a Saturday afternoon. That happens most often when I forget what day of the week it is.:LOL:

Friday evening groceries. That's interesting - when we lived in Iowa, Friday was the big grocery shopping night. So we avoided going to the grocery store on Friday when we moved to the DC area. One Friday night we absolutely "needed" to go to the grocery and NO ONE was there.:confused: Apparently, in this part of the country, everyone does their grocery shopping on Saturday.

I cook as little as possible, and try to keep things simple. I cooked for family for decades and for me, the thrill is gone. We have lunch together at one of our many fine local restaurants every afternoon. Let the chef cook, while I enjoy Frank's company and interesting conversation along with the food. Queen W2R, dontcha know.. :2funny:

The little surprise, however, is that we feel no need to clean up the kitchen after dinner. This was always a chore that we both hated because we had so little time in the evening. Now, we just stack the plates in the sink and I get to them the next day. Everyone is happy.

Any comparable little surprises out there?

I discovered that I like having a routine. I like going to bed at the same time every night, and getting up at the same time. I discovered that if I don't enforce that by using an alarm clock, I gradually move into 25 hour days and that makes me miserable because the rest of the world isn't doing that.

So, after all those years of dreaming about taking a hammer to my alarm clock, I actually use one now. It doesn't emit an annoying "BLATTT!!!", though, as so many alarm clocks do. Instead it gently plays me sweet chirping birdsongs that slowly and gently awaken me from sleep.

I cook as little as possible, and try to keep things simple. I cooked for family for decades and for me, the thrill is gone. We have lunch together at one of our many fine local restaurants every afternoon. Let the chef cook, while I enjoy Frank's company and interesting conversation along with the food. Queen W2R, dontcha know.. :2funny:

I cook as many of my own meals as I can. After years of long hours in hospitals, coming home to wilted lettuce which I had to throw out, I now have a great kitchen and have developed my cooking and baking skills. Less salt, fewer preservatives, little waste, great taste and lower cost. Some of my friends call me a gourmet cook! :LOL:

I discovered that I like having a routine. I like going to bed at the same time every night, and getting up at the same time. I discovered that if I don't enforce that by using an alarm clock, I gradually move into 25 hour days and that makes me miserable because the rest of the world isn't doing that.

So, after all those years of dreaming about taking a hammer to my alarm clock, I actually use one now. It doesn't emit an annoying "BLATTT!!!", though, as so many alarm clocks do. Instead it gently plays me sweet chirping birdsongs that slowly and gently awaken me from sleep.

I unplugged my radio alarm after ER and now set my iPad alarm only if I need to rise before dawn. Otherwise sunrise is my natural alarm.

Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:
I cook as many of my own meals as I can. After years of long hours in hospitals, coming home to wilted lettuce which I had to throw out, I now have a great kitchen and have developed my cooking and baking skills. Less salt, fewer preservatives, little waste, great taste and lower cost. Some of my friends call me a gourmet cook! :LOL:

Chef Meadbh! :D That's great.

I unplugged my radio alarm after ER and now set my iPad alarm only if I need to rise before dawn. Otherwise sunrise is my natural alarm.

That's nice that it awakens you at a regular time. My bedroom in my new dream house is not as darkened as my old bedroom. So, although I have the alarm set for 8 AM, sometimes I do awaken around 7:30 just because it is getting pretty light by that time. That seems to be OK with me.

I promised myself that I would buy an elliptical machine and use it Monday through Friday mornings - instead of going to work. I'm now a decade into ER and I've been faithful to my pledge. Consequently, my BP and cholesterol numbers are good and I"m feeling great.

I like it that I don't have to rush and do binge cooking on Sundays for the whole week. I cook every day - spend time shopping for (or find it in the freezer) and cooking what I want to eat that day. We even bake our own bread now.

No longer rushed to get things done in limited time.

Last edited:
DW and I enjoyed the weekend hanging out with MIL and FIL doing a few chores that they are no longer easily able to do....all while our own DS1 and DS2 were off traveling to different places on their own.

Lucky to have in-laws that I like and happy to be here for them and assist them as they age.

Also lucky to have a couple teen agers who are becoming fairly independent and not afraid to travel on their own. Now to launch them .... Successfully ..... Not exactly a little thing. But I guess the 1000 mile journey begins with a first step. Small victories lead to bigger victories.

I have random moments of giddiness, I will be out somewhere, maybe walking the dogs not caring what time it is, and I start giggling like a kid. No doubt I look like a nutter when I do this, but it feels really good.

Wild Irish Rogue

I have random moments of giddiness, I will be out somewhere, maybe walking the dogs not caring what time it is, and I start giggling like a kid. No doubt I look like a nutter when I do this, but it feels really good.

Wild Irish Rogue

I have the bouts of giddiness too. I know I look goofy, but I don't really care! Being FIRED IS truly the best drug out there!

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors. :)

Back
Top Bottom