Living in "The Woodlands"?

One more thing: The Highway 242 flyover from I-45 opened today. No word on the toll amount yet (imagine, a toll for a highway exit/entrance ramp).

I don't mind toll roads in general. I use the Hardy Toll Road and Sam Houston when it will save me significant time. And, yes, using that flyover at certain times of day would save quite a bit of time since that exit is so congested.

That said, having a toll to pay for what is an exit/entrance onto an interstate highway ticks me off. DH and I have already said that we won't be using it just on general principle.
http://www.early-retirement.org//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

That said, having a toll to pay for what is an exit/entrance onto an interstate highway ticks me off. DH and I have already said that we won't be using it just on general principle.

Most of the neighbors I have spoken with (and I live off 242) won't use it either. The exit ramp only clear purpose was to allow commuters a quicker way to get to FM 1488 rather than drive a mile or so up 45 to the next exit, which is the 1488 exit. :confused:

The flyover ramp exits at the first entrance to the college and a traffic light is at the end of the ramp. I'll bet it will back up pretty badly when the college is letting out. The ramp exit provides no access to the shopping center (Walmart, Kohls, etc) or St. Lukes hospital.

It's really 1/2 a cloverleaf when you think about it. Being on the west side of I-45, I can't use it to enter I-45 and must use the south feeder road to get that access. What a waste of $40 million.

Property Taxes in The Woodlands

The total tax bills are the sum of several taxing districts, including the county/city proper, school district, hospital district, and utility districts (Municipal, Road, etc). You need to look more carefully at each neighborhood.

Tax and insurance rates in Montgomery County are generally less than Harris County (Houston).

Here's a link to property taxes....

2014 Property Tax Rates The Woodlands, TX

Not all areas in The Woodlands have a required homeowners association fees. Again, it's neighborhood specific.

Traffic can problematic for commuters who need to travel one of the main arteries, such as I-45. At worst, it can take 30-40 minutes to get fully across the Woodlands (extreme case). As a retiree, I avoid these times. We also chose to pay more to live "up-front", nearer I-45.

The Woodlands is comprised of several "Villages", each with some shopping area. Generally this is a grocery store, drug store, basic restaurant, and a few small stores. So if you are just running a quick errand, than travel times/distances are less.

Our State Farm property insurance is less than 0.5% of value (purchase price in 2013). Of course insurance costs are very dependent on the amount of deductible chosen and any high-value riders (jewelry, guns, etc.).

There are many websites that detail more about "The Woodlands" and debate the growing "urbanization".

Coming from Houston at DW's insistence, I complained about everything being hidden in the trees. After 2 years, I love this aspect. I would not want to go back.

Just finished switching my homeowners and auto insurance from USAA to Amica. I had been a long term USAA customer, but they were wanting $4700 for my HO policy vs. $2300 from Amica for the same coverage. I even sent my Amica quote to my USAA rep who confirmed that it was equivalent coverage. He was at a loss to explain why USAA was so non-competitive. I even saved a couple hundred on my auto policy. Still banking with USAA though.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Just finished switching my homeowners and auto insurance from USAA to Amica. I had been a long term USAA customer, but they were wanting $4700 for my HO policy vs. $2300 from Amica for the same coverage. I even sent my Amica quote to my USAA rep who confirmed that it was equivalent coverage. He was at a loss to explain why USAA was so non-competitive. I even saved a couple hundred on my auto policy. Still banking with USAA though.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I had the same experience with USAA and went with Amica also.

Back
Top Bottom