Need RV/road trip suggestions near Atlanta...

soupcxan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So a friend of mine is coming up to Atlanta this weekend, we'll take off Fri-Mon and travel in his new RV (ok, he bought it used, but it's still new to him). Can anyone suggest some interesting things to see in the southeast (within driving distance of Atlanta) that we'd have enough time to see over the 4-day weekend? Particularly, RV-friendly attractions...national parks or other sites of interest?

soupcxan said:
So a friend of mine is coming up to Atlanta this weekend, we'll take off Fri-Mon and travel in his new RV (ok, he bought it used, but it's still new to him). Can anyone suggest some interesting things to see in the southeast (within driving distance of Atlanta) that we'd have enough time to see over the 4-day weekend? Particularly, RV-friendly attractions...national parks or other sites of interest?

Hey, how long have you been in the Atlanta area? If you can't
find 4 days of excellent experiences there..................well,
I could, and I don't even know the area all that well.
Stone Mountain, The Buckhorn district. Civil War sites, etc.

JG

soupcan
Go to www.rv.net and search their site for travel info by state or city.
You can also find some good info regarding rv parks to stay at by using http://www.rvparkreviews.com/.  Not all parks are open this time of year so be sure to verify.
Enjoy your trip--rving is a kick
nwsteve

Gowing North
Marietta Square for Breakfast
Route 400 shopping
Dahlonga Square for history
Amicoloa falls hotel for dinner
Blood mountain for a hike
Helen Ga for Germany in Ga
Blue Ridge for the beginning of the wine tour & train ride
North Carolina for Cherokee gambling

Going South
Marietta Square for breakfast
Kennesaw mountain for a hike up the hill
Silver Comet Trail - Road bike
Atlanta - New Aquarium & CNN Center
Americus for a look at J. Carter's hometown
Andersonville Civil War prison camp and US POW memorial

Watch where you park Soup, they boot those RV's also  :eek: :eek: :LOL:

Thanks for the tips...I actually have done most of those atlanta touristy activities...was looking for some ideas that are about a day's drive from the city. One item that came up on Google was the Mammoth Cave National Park in Kentucky. Can anyone comment on it? Then on the way back to ATL, drive a loop and swing through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

JPatrick said:
Watch where you park Soup, they boot those RV's also  :eek: :eek: :LOL:

Don't EVEN go there! :D Fortunately, my resesarch has revealed that Wal-Mart welcomes overnight RVs, since they know that you're going to buy something.

Linville Falls in the blue ridge mountains of NC. There's a national park service campground there - called linville falls I think. Make sure it is open in the winter -can't remember. Linville falls itself has a couple beautiful large waterfalls (80 foot drop maybe?). Pretty intense hiking to the bottom of the valley to see the falls from below.

Cruise up the blue ridge pkwy and stay at a few places along the way. Good scenery, great vistas of the countryside and valleys. Campgrounds aplenty.

Chattanooga has a lot of Civil War history and there is the largest freshwater aquarioum in the world there too. Rock City, Ruby Falls, the Incline railway that goes up the side of Lookout Mtn. There is plenty to do there and it is only 120 miles N. of Atlanta.

Mamoth cave is a good days drive from Atlanta. It is a wonderful place to visit. Also, Louisville, KY has a lot of stuff too and is not that much further up the road from Mamoth cave.

The Smokey Mts. are very nice and plan on spending some tourist time in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. The drive through the park is usually pretty slow so plan on it taking a LOT longer than you expect. It is well worth it though.

Back
Top Bottom