Packed Up My Office and Left Work After 28 Years!

erkevin

Full time employment: Posting here.
I wasn't giddy- just tired. i don't know when it will hit me. The remainder of the day was same-o, same-o; laundry, grocery shopping, housework. I might as well go back to work!
The umbilical cord is not completely cut; I still have a business cell phone and am technically in charge until my replacement is in the chair. (Although I have worked the days in my contract, the contract end date is June 30)

Congrats to you. Enjoy every second. I'm 452 w*rking days behind you.

The umbilical cord is not completely cut; I still have a business cell phone and am technically in charge until my replacement is in the chair.

Congratulations!

And... "Oh, no one answered the phone? I'm so sorry, it must have been accidentally turned off....":D

That's great news. When I retired, I was like a bird out of a cage.

The hardest thing for me was not traveling extensively, as I had perpetual motion in my body. Not leaving town (except for vacation and doctors) has been a big change for someone that drives 70K miles per year.

Go ahead and take a good, long nap. You need it, and you've earned it.

That's great news. When I retired, I was like a bird out of a cage.

The hardest thing for me was not traveling extensively, as I had perpetual motion in my body. Not leaving town (except for vacation and doctors) has been a big change for someone that drives 70K miles per year.

Go ahead and take a good, long nap. You need it, and you've earned it.

70k miles per year? I drive 5, maybe 6k. When I pull out of my driveway, I am pulling into w@#k 6-7 minutes later!

Oh, change that. I "was" pulling into w@#k.....

I wasn't giddy- just tired. i don't know when it will hit me. The remainder of the day was same-o, same-o; laundry, grocery shopping, housework. I might as well go back to work!
The umbilical cord is not completely cut; I still have a business cell phone and am technically in charge until my replacement is in the chair. (Although I have worked the days in my contract, the contract end date is June 30)

Well done and congrats! It will take a while to fully sink in. I'm just over two months in now, and I still regularly catch myself getting anxious about "finishing up this or that task before I go to bed". Then I realize that I don't HAVE to finish it today, becasue there is plenty of time tomorrow as I'm not leaving to work at 6:30AM anymore..... VERY NICE!!! :dance:

Congrats! You are going to be so happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Congratulations! Wise decision; your life just got better.

Congratulations. I'm entering week 4 myself and I've been thrilled with the decision. My challenge has been to pace myself. I think I tried to knock out all of my post-retirement to-dos out in the first week. It was exhausting. Definitely take some time to decompress and relax.

Here it is- my first Monday AM not going to work. I feel a little lost. Don't get me wrong, i am darn glad I am not at work....just a little discombobulated.
We are leaving on a two-week trip on Thursday, so that will help with the transition

Last edited:
Congratulations – I am two months ahead of you early retirement, and absolutely loving it! At first, it will feel like you are skipping school – now I feel like I am like a school kid on summer vacation.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom