Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-10-2016, 10:02 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I want a reality show of your whole farm experience, "Unclemick on a Tractor."
Sounds like fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4185.jpg (171.0 KB, 22 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2016, 06:05 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
In regards to the "what are you going to do all day?" question, I have started telling people the oh-so-great line, "Well, you know, I get up in the morning with nothing planned and yet I go to bed only getting half of it done." That usually shuts them up.

Oddly, Nords has posted an article on his blog about military folks that are in good positions to retire after 20+ years (as I did) but go on to have bridge careers instead.

Why Military Retirees Keep Working - Military Guide
Hey, I'm on the ER side of the debate. That post is jiu-jitsu. Once people read through the motivations and analyze their own feelings, perhaps they'll give themselves permission to stop working for the sake of society's expectations.

Some readers have mentioned that they don't understand why military retirees keep working, so I laid out the issues that I've seen.

If you're the type of person who eventually becomes a retired vice admiral, and a nationally ranked corporation offers you a six-figure job, it seems perfectly reasonable to see what you can do with it... that guy still feels challenged & fulfilled and he has plenty of autonomy. We check in with each other every six months or so and he's definitely having fun. The $350K/year gross income (plus more benefits) is just a scorecard.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:03 AM   #63
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
I think it comes down to personality type. If I was type A, I can see how it would be easier to stay in the workforce where I could get the status, power, structure, etc. that I needed than to leave the workforce and create these things in retirement. Fortunately, I'm not type A, and a major motivator for ER was to get away from a lot of the things that type A's thrive on.
Your post got me thinking.
I have always been the guy directly " behind" the type A that owned/ran/managed whatever I'm involved in. Be it my job or my hobby ( politics) I was the guy that " got things done" or " got him elected" or whatnot YET I also had to put up with ALL of the classic type A crap. This included the 16 hour days for NO recognition the " I did THIS" claim from someone who didn't even know what " THIS" was ( my work)...etc......
All of ya'll who have been closely associated with type A'a know EXACTLY what Im talking about.
Retirement has freed me form this and I am LOVING it. Sadly its even kinda hurt my hobby since being in politics mean constant association with numerous type A's. NOW understand. The world NEEDS type A's. They are the business founders, innovators, etc. We must have them. Type A's also need the type whatever that usually are the behind the scene type that make there dreams actually happen. BUT it gets very very tiring and old to constantly be that guy and I am DONE.
Just gonna sit back and watch the show. Its fun knowing all the players, knowing the strategy and not having to get involved.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:57 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

The FI and RE subjects are difficult to bring up with many people. When I talk to people about RE they basically say "why?". Then I steer the conversation towards freedom and the FI part. It seems to me that you cannot really have the RE w/out the FI. You can certainly have the FI w/out the RE. That is what the OP is asking. I don't care if people are RE, I would like everyone to be FI. FI gives us choices/freedom. To me that is what this thing called life is all about. Freedom and happiness.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:56 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Hey, I'm on the ER side of the debate. That post is jiu-jitsu. Once people read through the motivations and analyze their own feelings, perhaps they'll give themselves permission to stop working for the sake of society's expectations.

Some readers have mentioned that they don't understand why military retirees keep working, so I laid out the issues that I've seen.

If you're the type of person who eventually becomes a retired vice admiral, and a nationally ranked corporation offers you a six-figure job, it seems perfectly reasonable to see what you can do with it... that guy still feels challenged & fulfilled and he has plenty of autonomy. We check in with each other every six months or so and he's definitely having fun. The $350K/year gross income (plus more benefits) is just a scorecard.
Two in family tree this year - one staying in past twenty with a wife way up the ladder at Mega Corp. The other out at the end of the month with no job but a few interviews scheduled.

ER? or will he surrender?

heh heh heh - stay tuned. Family buying some hunting and fishing gear as retirement gift.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:55 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

I retired at age 40, 20 years and a couple of hours of service, grade of Major. At that age, using the "r" word just seemed really weird, so I was working the very next day. As it turns out, I needed the 2nd career to save enough to really retire, having been too stupid to do so during my military tenure. Living on just the mil retired pay would have been hand-to-mouth until SS...

Most of the retired military folks I know did work/are working a second career. One did three: military, DoD contractor, and a local school district, collecting pensions like boxtops...
Old 09-21-2016, 07:40 PM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

So, you invited a couple into your home and the husband judged you. There are other names for people like that having nothing to do with retiring early. Who cares what he thinks?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-21-2016, 09:17 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Today, I volunteered at my son's high school, checking out text books for students. The librarian and I were talking about retirement in between classes coming in... Her husband has qualified for full retirement from a municipal agency - his pension is maxed out and won't get any bigger. She won't "let" him retire. She mentioned concern about benefits and worries he'd mess up the house if he were home. He wants to retire. She gets amazing benefits from the school district so the benefits argument doesn't fly. Then she said she wanted to retire - and didn't want him underfoot - therefore he needed to keep working. I asked if their pensions would cover their bills - the answer was yes. I was shocked by her wanting to control him that way - but I kept my mouth shut.
These folks don't need to retire, they need to divorce. That, or discuss personal space and schedules, and maybe build the dude a mancave and/or workshop so he can flee the coop for a while each day.

If I couldn't stand the thought of my spouse being around all day, I'd take steps to fix the situation and it would probably involve filing papers at the courthouse and a moving truck for someone's possessions. I just don't get it - are they supposed to work till they die so they don't have to encounter each other often? What a life!
Old 09-21-2016, 10:17 PM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DH has been underfoot gladly, willingly. Now we get to trip over one another. Here's the thing: at the end of the day, there should be some people in this world who have not had to experience corporate misery.

That role has traditionally been reserved for women. That's just plain silly.

If through my academic abilities I gave DH that gift, fantastic. We discussed this subject before we discussed marriage. If you love someone, you do what needs to be done for their happiness. Your happiness is intertwined with theirs.

Why should everyone be subjected to the corporate nonsense? My spouse is the person I need to emulate. Someone unfettered by fear of job loss. He is motivated by his own creativity. My 30 years in the workplace have sapped much creativity from me. I once composed music, I once painted, I once wrote poetry. I hope to rediscover my creativity.

I'm just trying to work through my lazy streak, post ER. He will be patient or he will be assigned toilet cleaning duties, LOL.

Eventually I will create my new life.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-21-2016, 11:18 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

DW is going to work until 55 yr to get full SS benefits. Took off the yrs kids were in school which was worth it. But I have to be completely honest that I really don't expect her to ever retire. She likes her job and loves to work. That's just the way she is.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:44 AM   #71
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We are now FI, and wife has set a date for RE in March of 2017 only working until then because she doesn't have any winter hobbies and worries she'll be bored lol. I still work 20 hours/week as a home inspector and will do so for another 2 years only because I enjoy using my knowledge of houses helping people make a good decision on what is usually the most expensive thing they'll buy in their lifetime. Physically it keeps me active, and I like working with people. It also provides some extra money...I am a car enthusiast and the next two years' of income are going to an account that will pay for an expensive sports car in 2018.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:03 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I believe most people are afraid of losing their income source. Others either love their job too much or don't know what else to do if they quit their job. It takes certain personality to retire early, and they are happier for it. I feel sorry for those who hate their work but continue to work despite they have enough to retire.
Read an interesting article : Retirement: An Attitude Adjustment | On Retirement | US News that touched on a concern that many have. Retirement is a mental adjustment