People who can't or won't retire.

Anyone else think "what are you going to do all day/I'd get bored" is really "I can't afford to retire and won't admit it" instead?

No, not really. I actually think it's more of an "American" train of thought thing. We are taught from a very early age that work is what you do during the day, lol especially before your 60. we consider that our "prime" working/earning years so I do think it's confusing for some when they run into a person who willingly retires young.

I do know a few folks who retired before 58 who went back to work albeit part time just to have some thing to do.

My Portuguese In laws have a saying, "The world works to live, while Americans live to work". I do think we wrap our self worth in "working"

Anyone else think "what are you going to do all day/I'd get bored" is really "I can't afford to retire and won't admit it" instead?

Maybe some folks. In my case, I would say about 1/4 of them are "jealous" and make snarky comments about it, but I am a salty, sarcastic bastard, so I can give it right back to them. :D The rest just truly think (thought) I would be bored, one of which was my uncle. He w*rked up until the day before he turned 62 and was just livid that I would just "quit w*rking" after the Air Force. Now that I have been retired going on 2 years, he seems more accepting and has joined the ranks of "should have retired earlier."

It's funny - during my last assignment (in the DC area) I had a guy working for me who was about my age with roughly the same number of years of service. It was also his last tour and we used to discuss post-retirement plans often. I planned to work for about 10 years post-Navy and he planned to completely retire and move to a place he had bought in the hills of Tennessee or NC. I remember I often said that guys like us were "too young to retire" (both 50-ish at the time.) Then he got a high-pay offer from a Beltway Bandit and retired sooner than planned to take it. I finished my career, took 3-4 months off and then took a job with a semi-BB. I soon learned I didn't enjoy it that much and used the next 6 years as a chance to sock away the bucks, retiring for good at 58. Last I heard, he was still working, doing very well and driving a BMW. I'm perfectly happy with retired life and my 12 year old Volvo.

From what I learned after retiring for good, I probably could have done fine retiring for good right after the Navy. Or working harder at finding a 2nd career I would have enjoyed more even if it didn't pay as well.

Funny you mention Tennessee. I personally know 4 others that completely retired after serving in the military. 3 of them were officers and one of them was enlisted like myself. I still talk to 3 of the 4 and they are still retired and 2 of them live in the woods of Tennessee. The other one disappeared into the mountains of Pennsylvania and no one I know has heard from him since he retired about 10 years ago. He truly went "off the grid."

At 66 I no longer get that question but I did when I retired at 52. But given my job (police officer) it was fairly normal to retire at that age. Trust me, with some very rare exceptions you really don't want 60-year-old police officers still working.
Yesterday I got waived over onto a detour as there was some sort of police action going on up ahead. This was in a residential neighborhood, not out on a highway. As we poked along police were sprinting around, really moving, with rifles and gear. They were all young, and no one seemed to be huffing and puffing.

By the time we got out onto the arterial, 3 or 4 guys were sitting on the grass with cuffed arms behind them, and the police seemed calm.

Ha

Almost every person who I tell I'm retired ALWAYS ask me " whatcha" going to do all day. My reply "whatever I want"

Same here.

Some folks can't see the forest for the trees. Some people know they can't afford to retire early. Some people love what they do and I this I understand even though it isn't me, after all the saying is if you do something you love you'll never work a day in your life.

I never liked working so I started planning to retire almost as soon as I started. So like a lot of folks here my mindset was different than others.

We here in the ER world have to think like "I don't give a crap" outliers because that's what we are, at least in this regard. Many of us here are probably outliers in other ways, too. I was always an outlier growing up, being an atheist and childfree, leaving me job-free, god-free, and child-free. I am also drug-free, alcohol-free, and smoke-free. Making myself job-free was the icing on a nice, big cake (which I can't really eat because I am now a diabetic, as in sugar-free!).

I actually think it's more of an "American" train of thought thing. We are taught from a very early age that work is what you do during the day,

I agree that this probably accounts for quite a lot of it.
The Puritan/Calvinist work ethic is so ingrained in many people.

I'm so grateful that I didn't fall into that trap!

'The flying fickle finger of fate.' or however the quote goes.

Looks like I may unER after a 22 year run. The Wife's Brother passed away from his second heart attack out on the Family Farm. Didn't farm (CRP) but a retired 'gear head' from mega corp over 25 plus years so tuning up for an auction of surplus in the spring of 2017.

Perils of Pauline sawmill driven by 128 hp Caterpillar Diesel, 7 tractors from a 1935 Farmal up to International rigged for log handling, 3 pickups 10 wheel C-60 down to Chevy Silverado, 2 ATVs and a small 1960 John Deere diesel bulldozer. Assorted mowers, snowplow and snowthrower(8 foot). Two machine shops 100 ton punch press , two bed mills, sheet metal roller, grinders, valve grinder, and others, drill presses, etc. etc. Assorted gas powered field welders, compressors and 4 or 5 chain saws. Maybe 20 - 30 cordless and regular electric hand tools plus three chest height machinist chests I haven't found the keys to yet.

Only the start - I have all winter to inventory 6 buildings from the 48 x 160 footer on down to the full size drive in tractor wash.

:D Auction in the Spring. Keeping the farm so mid contract CRP work Plus after 25 years as a bachelor the family farmhouse needs remodeling from 1965 when it got indoor plumbing and electricity.

heh heh heh - At age 73 the male hormones are twitching and the urge to remodel and tinker is strong. :rolleyes: :greetings10: :facepalm: I need to keep a grip after 22 years of hard work toward professional slackerdom and 'high class ER'.
Sounds like the farm might be a candidate for a visit from the folks from the American Pickers TV show as well.

Looks like I may unER after a 22 year run. The Wife's Brother passed away from his second heart attack out on the Family Farm. Didn't farm (CRP) but a retired 'gear head' from mega corp over 25 plus years so tuning up for an auction of surplus in the spring of 2017.

Perils of Pauline sawmill driven by 128 hp Caterpillar Diesel, 7 tractors from a 1935 Farmal up to International rigged for log handling, 3 pickups 10 wheel C-60 down to Chevy Silverado, 2 ATVs and a small 1960 John Deere diesel bulldozer...

For folks unfamiliar with American agriculture: CRP = Conservation Reserve Program. My extended family owns farmland an hour east of Kansas City.

Does the 1935 Farmall tractor still run? They don't make them like that any more. :)

For folks unfamiliar with American agriculture: CRP = Conservation Reserve Program. My extended family owns farmland an hour east of Kansas City.

Does the 1935 Farmall tractor still run? They don't make them like that any more. :)

Don't know. Making arrangements to get a local 'Farmall expert' over to help before I hand crank. I who have never sat in a tractor in my life have got 4 out of 7 started - all praise to U-Tube. The 1066 diesel needs the batteries charged(I think) and 656 gas is not getting fuel past the carb. Coughs with engine start but won't run.

heh heh heh - :dance: I have dug out an old pair of Bib overalls and flannel shirt for a busy Fall. :LOL:;)

I want a reality show of your whole farm experience, "Unclemick on a Tractor."

Attachments

• 4185.jpg
    4185.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 22
In regards to the "what are you going to do all day?" question, I have started telling people the oh-so-great line, "Well, you know, I get up in the morning with nothing planned and yet I go to bed only getting half of it done." That usually shuts them up. ;)

Oddly, Nords has posted an article on his blog about military folks that are in good positions to retire after 20+ years (as I did) but go on to have bridge careers instead.

Why Military Retirees Keep Working - Military Guide
Hey, I'm on the ER side of the debate. That post is jiu-jitsu. Once people read through the motivations and analyze their own feelings, perhaps they'll give themselves permission to stop working for the sake of society's expectations.

Some readers have mentioned that they don't understand why military retirees keep working, so I laid out the issues that I've seen.

If you're the type of person who eventually becomes a retired vice admiral, and a nationally ranked corporation offers you a six-figure job, it seems perfectly reasonable to see what you can do with it... that guy still feels challenged & fulfilled and he has plenty of autonomy. We check in with each other every six months or so and he's definitely having fun. The $350K/year gross income (plus more benefits) is just a scorecard.

I think it comes down to personality type. If I was type A, I can see how it would be easier to stay in the workforce where I could get the status, power, structure, etc. that I needed than to leave the workforce and create these things in retirement. Fortunately, I'm not type A, and a major motivator for ER was to get away from a lot of the things that type A's thrive on.

Your post got me thinking.
I have always been the guy directly " behind" the type A that owned/ran/managed whatever I'm involved in. Be it my job or my hobby ( politics) I was the guy that " got things done" or " got him elected" or whatnot YET I also had to put up with ALL of the classic type A crap. This included the 16 hour days for NO recognition the " I did THIS" claim from someone who didn't even know what " THIS" was ( my work)...etc......
All of ya'll who have been closely associated with type A'a know EXACTLY what Im talking about.
Retirement has freed me form this and I am LOVING it. Sadly its even kinda hurt my hobby since being in politics mean constant association with numerous type A's. NOW understand. The world NEEDS type A's. They are the business founders, innovators, etc. We must have them. Type A's also need the type whatever that usually are the behind the scene type that make there dreams actually happen. BUT it gets very very tiring and old to constantly be that guy and I am DONE.
Just gonna sit back and watch the show. Its fun knowing all the players, knowing the strategy and not having to get involved.

The FI and RE subjects are difficult to bring up with many people. When I talk to people about RE they basically say "why?". Then I steer the conversation towards freedom and the FI part. It seems to me that you cannot really have the RE w/out the FI. You can certainly have the FI w/out the RE. That is what the OP is asking. I don't care if people are RE, I would like everyone to be FI. FI gives us choices/freedom. To me that is what this thing called life is all about. Freedom and happiness.

Hey, I'm on the ER side of the debate. That post is jiu-jitsu. Once people read through the motivations and analyze their own feelings, perhaps they'll give themselves permission to stop working for the sake of society's expectations.

Some readers have mentioned that they don't understand why military retirees keep working, so I laid out the issues that I've seen.

If you're the type of person who eventually becomes a retired vice admiral, and a nationally ranked corporation offers you a six-figure job, it seems perfectly reasonable to see what you can do with it... that guy still feels challenged & fulfilled and he has plenty of autonomy. We check in with each other every six months or so and he's definitely having fun. The $350K/year gross income (plus more benefits) is just a scorecard.

Two in family tree this year - one staying in past twenty with a wife way up the ladder at Mega Corp. The other out at the end of the month with no job but a few interviews scheduled.

ER? or will he surrender?

heh heh heh - stay tuned. Family buying some hunting and fishing gear as retirement gift.

I retired at age 40, 20 years and a couple of hours of service, grade of Major. At that age, using the "r" word just seemed really weird, so I was working the very next day. As it turns out, I needed the 2nd career to save enough to really retire, having been too stupid to do so during my military tenure. Living on just the mil retired pay would have been hand-to-mouth until SS...

Most of the retired military folks I know did work/are working a second career. One did three: military, DoD contractor, and a local school district, collecting pensions like boxtops...

So, you invited a couple into your home and the husband judged you. There are other names for people like that having nothing to do with retiring early. Who cares what he thinks?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Today, I volunteered at my son's high school, checking out text books for students. The librarian and I were talking about retirement in between classes coming in... Her husband has qualified for full retirement from a municipal agency - his pension is maxed out and won't get any bigger. She won't "let" him retire. She mentioned concern about benefits and worries he'd mess up the house if he were home. He wants to retire. She gets amazing benefits from the school district so the benefits argument doesn't fly. Then she said she wanted to retire - and didn't want him underfoot - therefore he needed to keep working. I asked if their pensions would cover their bills - the answer was yes. I was shocked by her wanting to control him that way - but I kept my mouth shut.

These folks don't need to retire, they need to divorce. That, or discuss personal space and schedules, and maybe build the dude a mancave and/or workshop so he can flee the coop for a while each day.

If I couldn't stand the thought of my spouse being around all day, I'd take steps to fix the situation and it would probably involve filing papers at the courthouse and a moving truck for someone's possessions. I just don't get it - are they supposed to work till they die so they don't have to encounter each other often? What a life!

DH has been underfoot gladly, willingly. Now we get to trip over one another. Here's the thing: at the end of the day, there should be some people in this world who have not had to experience corporate misery.

That role has traditionally been reserved for women. That's just plain silly.

If through my academic abilities I gave DH that gift, fantastic. We discussed this subject before we discussed marriage. If you love someone, you do what needs to be done for their happiness. Your happiness is intertwined with theirs.

Why should everyone be subjected to the corporate nonsense? My spouse is the person I need to emulate. Someone unfettered by fear of job loss. He is motivated by his own creativity. My 30 years in the workplace have sapped much creativity from me. I once composed music, I once painted, I once wrote poetry. I hope to rediscover my creativity.

I'm just trying to work through my lazy streak, post ER. He will be patient or he will be assigned toilet cleaning duties, LOL.

Eventually I will create my new life.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

DW is going to work until 55 yr to get full SS benefits. Took off the yrs kids were in school which was worth it. But I have to be completely honest that I really don't expect her to ever retire. She likes her job and loves to work. That's just the way she is.

We are now FI, and wife has set a date for RE in March of 2017 only working until then because she doesn't have any winter hobbies and worries she'll be bored lol. I still work 20 hours/week as a home inspector and will do so for another 2 years only because I enjoy using my knowledge of houses helping people make a good decision on what is usually the most expensive thing they'll buy in their lifetime. Physically it keeps me active, and I like working with people. It also provides some extra money...I am a car enthusiast and the next two years' of income are going to an account that will pay for an expensive sports car in 2018. :)

I believe most people are afraid of losing their income source. Others either love their job too much or don't know what else to do if they quit their job. It takes certain personality to retire early, and they are happier for it. I feel sorry for those who hate their work but continue to work despite they have enough to retire.

Read an interesting article : Retirement: An Attitude Adjustment | On Retirement | US News that touched on a concern that many have. Retirement is a mental adjustment

Back
Top Bottom