Pets

Life sure would be easier, but I'm not sure if I'd like it 365 days a year. They're my babies, but boy are they loads of work, not to mention the $$$.

Anyone else had these evil, petless thoughts?
I lost my old dog about 6 or 7 years ago, and I was so sad. I had always had dogs, except for a period of about 15 years at school and before I got married.

I didn't get another dog, and I never will, for all the reasons that you have mentioned and plenty more. I loved and love my family a lot more than I loved any of the dogs, but I wouldn't start another family either.

Life should have its seasons.

Ha

I never grew up with any pets, had my first cat at the age of 25...never go back to being pet less again! We have two cats right now and they are just awesome! DH and I have talked about adopting another cat or a dog, but that would be too much! I think when they go, we will adopt a whole litter of 4-5 kittens and raise them!

I will always have dogs. It isn't home without them. If I could not have them in a nursing home, I would not be going.

As a kid growing up I was never allowed the pleasure of a dog. I have since made up for that loss. I am like Brewer. I cannot imagine my life without my dog. They represent the best qualities the human race has to offer...

I planned to work my way to pet free status. I had 2 same age although not litter mates. When one died at 14 I planned to make the survivor an only cat. I could not do it. He was so lonely and kept searching for another cat. I honestly do not think he was looking for his companion specifically but was convinced there was another cat somewhere. This went on for months until I got him a companion and stopped immediately after. Unfortunately she is much younger 7 to his 18 so I am afraid of it happening again. ( I wanted to bring in an older cat but it did not work out -long story)

I'm sort of in the middle, DW has no interest in having a dog or cat although she likes them - in someone else's house. I grew up with dogs, cats, birds, gerbils, hamsters, and a rooster for a while.

After my divorce I didn't get another dog because although I had a fenced-in yard I worked 10-hour rotating shifts and it would have been cruel to leave them outside in weather extremes and not realistic to expect them to "hold it" for 11+ hours.

The house we're in now does not have a fenced-in yard although that is an option, but since DW doesn't really want one and we also want the freedom to go away for a day or three at a time I don't see us having another anytime soon.

But if things change I sure could stand to have another dog. When I leave my job in a couple of weeks I'm thinking of volunteering at an animal shelter and I suppose a hazard is being smitten by a pair of big brown eyes and bringing one home. DW is concerned that is just what will happen.:LOL:

I will always have dogs. It isn't home without them. If I could not have them in a nursing home, I would not be going.

I'm the same way. But one is enough for me.

My dog is just good company when sitting around the house. And a great motivator in getting me out everyday to get my exercise. I take him everywhere I can. He loves riding in the backseat with the wind blowing on him. I admit, it is a hassle when taking trips. Hate that I have to board him, but some trips would be more of a hassle in taking him along.

Certainly pros and cons in owning pets. More pluses for me.

Interesting. The only part of our upcoming trip that I'm sad about is that we'll miss our animals. But I do have an old dog who wakes me at 6 every day, and I won't miss that!

They are a lot of work and $ for sure, and do require organizing care when we are away, but I don't consider it a huge burden.

Right now we have 5 dogs and 5 cats. I don't expect we'll always have so many, but I have a few foster failures among the mammal clan, I must admit!

I have never been without pets. Ever. In fact, I can't remember when I only had one.

If you are looking for lower maintenance animals, I heartily recommend a pair of cats, raised together. Nothing more entertaining for less outlay of cash and energy. :)

No, I see us as always having pets, even if it is fewer than we have now. You need someone to come home to, who is always glad to see you. I cannot imagine coming home to an empty house. Ever.

When we recently decided to become snowbirds we had to buy a house in FL because nobody would rent to us with 4 dogs (2 pugs, 2 chi's). I don't blame them. even though ours are pretty harmless. But it's worth it for the joy they bring to our lives.

We've considered not reloading when these girls are gone, since it would free us up for traveling and such, although with the youngest chi only being 2-3 (not sure) it could be another 15 years or so. But I suspect we'll always have dogs. They make us smile and laugh every day, and that's pretty much priceless.

We are down to one dog (13 or 14 years old) and two newts. The newts are totally DH's responsibility, though one of them was his birthday present to me many years ago. He is such a romantic.

We have had as many as five cats and two dogs at the same time..when our children were young. We swore we would not get another cat until we moved. We have had some bad luck with cats marking territory on the carpet, even after being spayed/neutered, whatever. We were out at the animal shelter the other day, just "looking" so I think we maybe getting close to getting another cat.... They are just too cool. For $50, you can adopt a cat with its shots, spayed/neutered, leukemia test, de-fleaed with Capstar and microchipped.

I think we will always have pets despite the hassle when you want to travel (or sell your house). Although, whenever we lose one, i swear that's IT...never again. :( That may be why we are "looking" at the cats, because our wonderful dog is slowing down so and it worries us.

Check to see if that shelter group has any kind of problems.... we adopted last Dec and the cat had fleas and worms... even though they said they gave them whatever it is... we have had a time with this cat with both... the worms seem to reappear every month or so... so far we have not seen any in our other cat, but who knows how long that will last...

To answer the OP's question, I have made the choice not to have pets. No time to take care of pets. I also travel too much here and abroad and therefore would not have enough time to devote to them.

I have made the same choice for the same reason.

But, I do long for a dog. Some day, when I am done with travel, I hope to have one in my life again.

I have had a lot of pets in the past. I have had the usual dogs and cats, and for about 20 years I had four macaws, about a dozen breeding parakeets, nearly a thousand gallons of salt water aquaria, a snake, and more. But now I have no pets.

From what I understand, vet bills are sky high these days. Other than the cost, I just don't feel up to the responsibility of caring for a pet and I don't want to put in the effort that it takes to care for one properly. Living in New Orleans, I would have to take them with me on hurricane evacuations; what a pain. And lastly, I don't relish the sadness and tears that come when a pet dies.

I do miss having a pet and have occasionally thought about just stopping by a pet store and playing with the puppies. However, that probably isn't a good idea because I might end up taking a puppy home.

W2R, I would really recommend fostering for a reputable rescue group, especially one with kittens. Our local shelter provides literally everything you need, and you have a finite period you have to foster (usually 3 weeks) and then you take them back to the shelter for adoption. There are hundreds of kittens in our area in foster homes like that.

You'd love it, and you'd not have to worry that they'd be a burden! Nothing better than kittens!

Reactions: W2R
This thread is relate to the travel budget thread for me. My travel budget is low ($4k annually) because I hate being away from my home and my dog. I'd rather have the companionship and love of a dog every day vs a few weeks of travel. I know this because after my last dog went to doggy-heaven my heart was "empty". It was only two weeks before I adopted another.

Sarah - kitten fostering sounds like FUN ! I may look into that myself !

We lost one of our two dogs last week to cancer. She was such a great dog and making the decision to end her suffering was very difficult. That is the price you pay for the pleasure of owning a dog.

DH and I decided that after our 3-yr old sheltie is gone, we will not get another dog for awhile. It does limit your ability to travel. At least the sheltie is under 20 lbs and could travel with us camping.

I have to admit that going on vacation and being free of the daily dog routine is a nice break though.

I think that I might consider getting another dog if I am living alone widowed someday. It would be nice having someone to talk to instead of just talking to myself!

I'm defending my bastion of "no pets at home".
I might be over voted by the rest of the family, because Little Sailor is asking to have a low maintenance pet, he's going to catch or buy (turtle or lizard) and take care of it using his own money.

Yay! As a comparison to what might be available where you are, here is an info page about our local shelter's really great foster program. Might give you some ideas for questions to ask when you call. Be a Foster Parent - Charleston Animal Society
I wanted to do it very much in May, but I knew we'd be crazy busy this month so I sat on my hands.

DH and I have almost always had a cat or two.

When the kids were young our 10 year old cat died and we were pet free for a few years until a friend of my sister's was relocating to England and had a brother and sister pair of cats that needed a new home. i was resistant but DH wanted to go for it.

Those cats were wonderful and a great addition to the family. One went missing 3 years later, they were indoor kitties but Pepper liked to escape out the door between our feet. One time she never made it back home despite our frequent searches and "missing" posters. I liked to imagine that she found a little old lady with a nice big tv to curl up on (this was before flat screen tvs).

Her brother seemed lonely so we adopted a kitten. The brother lived to age 17, a wonderful cat with a big personality who was our younger son's best friend. The kitten is now 18 years old, slow, but in decent health and has become "Daddy's Princess" in our house.

I've always wanted a dog but the cat won't let me get one. She's made it clear that she's happiest being an only girl.

When we still had two cats I found a wonderful local pet sitter. We don't travel much but I found that's easiest on the cats to have someone come here rather than transport them.

When our current cat passes we will definitely get another pet. A cat would be easier but I'd love to try a dog. Our yard is already fenced in.

As a kid growing up I was never allowed the pleasure of a dog. I have since made up for that loss. I am like Brewer. I cannot imagine my life without my dog. They represent the best qualities the human race has to offer...

Well, aside from the poop and garbage eating.

Sarah is the pet equivalent of the crack dealer that gives you your first few rocks for free. Pretty soon you'll be "that crazy cat lady/guy". It's nearly impossible to give a kitten away.

Sarah is the pet equivalent of the crack dealer that gives you your first few rocks for free. Pretty soon you'll be "that crazy cat lady/guy". It's nearly impossible to give a kitten away.

Shhhh, Harley! Don't tell them that!!!

My local shelter adopted out a record 203 animals today! Very proud day for a community that at one time only had a 30% placement rate!

We lost one of our two dogs last week to cancer. She was such a great dog and making the decision to end her suffering was very difficult. That is the price you pay for the pleasure of owning a dog.

DH and I decided that after our 3-yr old sheltie is gone, we will not get another dog for awhile. It does limit your ability to travel. At least the sheltie is under 20 lbs and could travel with us camping.

I have to admit that going on vacation and being free of the daily dog routine is a nice break though.

I think that I might consider getting another dog if I am living alone widowed someday. It would be nice having someone to talk to instead of just talking to myself!

I am so sorry for your loss. It is always a wrenching decision - I have been there several times, and it never gets easier. I do believe it is the final gift we can give our furry companions, to say goodbye to them and give them peace. Sending hugs.

I am already in trouble. Sarah's link led me to nearby adoption sites ..... I forced myself off before doing real damage ! I may need to permanently block those sites - I can absolutely see myself as the crazy cat lady !

Back
Top Bottom