Poll: Learning a new language in ER

Do you plan to learn a foreign language or improve your foreign language skills in ER

• Yes, it would be a stimulating hobby or activity

Votes: 15 18.3%
  • Yes, I need the skills for living as an expat

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Yes, I want to enhance my foreign travel experiences

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Yes, if it will help me get a date

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, for several of the reasons above

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • No, the time investment is too great

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • No, I anticipate too few opportunities for using the skill

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • No, I already have enough skill for the anticipated opportunities

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • No, I will avoid activities where a foreign language might be needed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, for several of the reasons above

Votes: 11 13.4%

• Total voters

Htown Harry

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Learning a new language in ER is an occasional topic, but generally it is mentioned in the context of another subject (expat living or international travel, for example).

This article got me to thinking a bit about whether the time investment is something that I might consider when I ER.
https://www.mint.com/blog/how-to/10-free-resources-to-learn-a-new-language-on-the-cheap-0214/

Myself, I know some Spanish from a few years of classes in high school and college, but my vocabulary and grammar skills have eroded significantly in 30 years. I wasn't a natural learner, being more of a math and science guy. For travel, I think I might spend some time refreshing my Spanish or learning phrases in a new language. I have no interest in learning a new language just for the fun of it.

So here's a poll on foreign language learning in ER. I've listed several reasons one might or might not find the time to improve foreign language skills.

Last edited:
I'm not good with learning languages. I'd like to, but it just doesn't work well with me. Comes easily to my son, which I can't figure out. I'd be willing to bet he's one of the very few people who got a chem eng degree and...one in French! He's now learning Swahili where he works in Tanzania.

Learning languages is one of my passions and one of the main pursuits I'm planning for ER. I love using the native language to communicate with locals when I travel, and language learning is a fun intellectual challenge in itself.

I've already done short stints of Spanish language study in Mexico and Argentina as my vacation time permitted, and plan to do long-term study in Guatemala, Mexico, Argentina, and possibly Spain once I am retired.

I'm also seriously looking into a several month immersion course in Chinese at the Chinese Language Institute in Guilin, followed by possibly teaching English or computer science at a Chinese university for a year or two.

Study in China | Learn Chinese in China | The Chinese Language Institute

If I start spending a lot of time in Thailand I'm also interested in learning Thai.

I planned to learn Spanish in retirement. I would love to be fluent in (Mexican) Spanish! Languages come easily to me too, so it shouldn't be that hard. Besides, I was one of those pre-schoolers who picked up Spanish fluently while staying in Mexico, but then forgot every word of it later on after we left. So, maybe I would remember some of it once I got started.

I took French and Japanese in high school, but with all the math and science I just didn't have room in my schedule to fit in Spanish. Before retirement I was sure that this is something I would do with my spare time.

However, in reality I haven't actually tried to learn Spanish at all in retirement. I still might some day, but I suppose that the more time goes by, the less likely that is.

Last edited:
I have recently purchased the Rosetta Stone program for Latin-American Spanish. I enjoy this kind of visual learning. My goal is to be able to have a simple conversation with local people when on vacation, nothing more.

I speak French fluently and two other foreign languages much less well. I've been trying to improve my Spanish. Pre-ER but during periods of unemployment, I attended Spanish language schools in Costa Rica and Mexico, each time for 3 weeks. There were 10 years between those two language school experiences, and I could definitely see the difference between my 40+ year old brain and my 50+ year old brain in how much I was improving each time. I was able to learn much more Spanish when I was younger. Both schools were good and I had one-on-one instruction, 4 hours per day. I also lived with local families.

The following website is completely free and has been useful for finding language partners for doing language exchanges via Skype:

The Mixxer - a free educational website for language exchanges via Skype | The Mixxer

Pre-ER but during periods of unemployment, I attended Spanish language schools in Costa Rica and Mexico, each time for 3 weeks. There were 10 years between those two language school experiences, and I could definitely see the difference between my 40+ year old brain and my 50+ year old brain in how much I was improving each time. I was able to learn much more Spanish when I was younger.

Good point and a reminder to me not to delay too long in my language learning plans.

The following website is completely free and has been useful for finding language partners for doing language exchanges via Skype:

The Mixxer - a free educational website for language exchanges via Skype | The Mixxer

Thanks, I've made a note to check out this idea once I'm in ER next year!

I am fluent in French and have a good handle on German. I have contemplated learning Italian or Spanish during my ER. But I also know from experience that, when it comes to languages, you either use it or lose it. I practice my French often and my German occasionally when talking to family members. But I have no real need for, or opportunity to practice Italian or Spanish.

Nothing but English fluently... some say, not even that...

French - 3 years study
German - 2 years study
Tourist Japanese
Latin- English based semantics
Spanish... some Spanglish
Hello goodbye and minimal Arabic (new Tunisian friend)
Esperanto - Army training

Big Noam Chomsky linguistics fan.

Too old to begin learning anything else.

Last edited:
In the last few years DH and I have spent 100s of hours watching Spanish language television - mostly Mexican. Our comprehension has improved dramatically. We occasionally use the language here in the Valley in restaurants, etc. One of these days we'll start going to immersion classes as part of our travel.

Personally, I have a high regard for anyone willing to learn a foreign language during their ER years. However, I am not willing to put the effort into such endeavor. That is why I will never leave the US territory boundaries as I do not want to be at a disadvantage linguistically speaking wherever I travel.

Yes. Can't wait to get started. I bought a few Spanish tapes but have not listened yet. I'm told that the internet is good learning source also.

Yes, I have long harbored the desire to become reasonably fluent in conversational Spanish. I studied Spanish for 3 years in college (in the 70's) and also took small group lessons for about a year (1990) in the home of an Argentinian lady when I lived in CA. I might start out ( yet again) with a course at the nearby community college when I retire this summer. I have also given some thought to a several weeks immersion course either here in the States or abroad.

Fluent in two other languages besides English, but only minimal ability (restaurant level) in another. Recently bought Rosetta Stone software to attempt to remedy that, since it's a country I like to visit. Going pretty well so far.

I majored in Latin and Greek undergrad, then switched fields. Also studied a lot of French and a little German. So once I was completely free from w*rk, I decided to get back into them. Our local uni allows over-55s to audit classes, so I took that route. Gives me some social interaction as well as motivation to hit the books. Unfortunately, I find I still lack the discipline/motivation to study languages much on my own. Still working on that one.

I planned to learn Spanish in retirement. I would love to be fluent in (Mexican) Spanish! Languages come easily to me too, so it shouldn't be that hard. Besides, I was one of those pre-schoolers who picked up Spanish fluently while staying in Mexico, but then forgot every word of it later on after we left. So, maybe I would remember some of it once I got started.

Way down here you need a reason to move.

My DW decided to learn German after we visited there.

She's using

http://www.duolingo.com

and is enjoying their "gamification" approach to teaching languages. They offer a number of languages and the price is right - free (I like that ;-) )

We're going to Germany and Austria this spring so she can put her new found language skills to work.

I want to improve my Spanish for the fun of it. Learning to pronounce French word is in my bucket list.

Living near the border, I'm working on Canadian.

Learning Spanish in ER, but that's because I moved to a Spanish speaking country.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I've never been good at languages. I took 3 yrs of French in high school. Many years later I was able to navigate through France passably as a tourist. I took an intensive summer course in German but never got to use it. While in Germany everyone insisted that I speak English.

I'm pretty sure my brain isn't wired for languages. I tend to pick up the grammar but I can't remember vocabulary. The worst of all is memorizing word genders.

If I was going to pick a language to study it would be Spanish since I'm an avid salsa dancer. But it's not going to happen . . .

I started Mandarin Chinese classes soon after retiring. I'm planning to take a Teaching English as a Second Language course, and then go to China to teach English and take an immersion course in Mandarin. I really don't need the job, but I like having a reason to stay somewhere for a few months to a year, and also have a reason to interact with the locals. For the most part, I'm just enjoying the challenge.

I started Mandarin Chinese classes soon after retiring. I'm planning to take a Teaching English as a Second Language course, and then go to China to teach English and take an immersion course in Mandarin. I really don't need the job, but I like having a reason to stay somewhere for a few months to a year, and also have a reason to interact with the locals. For the most part, I'm just enjoying the challenge.

Very cool. I'd be interested to hear where you decide to do your immersion course.

Back
Top Bottom