Portrait of an Aging Nation

Some of the northern states have great health care as well.. and it's not like we're the desolate north. Honestly, if you're used to the seasons, the only really bad part is January-February and then only if you need to be outside on the worst days.

And, if your kids are still here, you might not want to move.

I think it'd be more informative to see a population count by age quartile and trend that over the last 30 years. My hunch is that you'd see a fairly smooth trend in the 50-80 year olds while the southern states would show a much greater growth for the 15-30 year olds. You'd then want to overlay that with where the growth is coming from. It might be inflated for some states if they're experiencing a greater influx of immigrants.

Or, in other words, the core numbers are probably similar but percentages are way different due to changes in youth demographics more than anything.

If you're willing to pay the $600 subscription fee to demographicsnow.com, I'm willing to run the tools for you. The data are from census and other 3rd party sources, but the numerous ways you can dissect, project, and cross all kinds of data is not matched by any other web demographics tools. No, I don't work for them. I really just want to have my free subscription back. :)

I'm wondering about some of those figures. For instance, what do they mean by median household income when the majority don't work?

LSBCAL

I don't work (being retired :cool:), but according to my Federal Income Tax documents, I do have "income" (consisting of my SPIA and portfolio withdrawls from my rollover IRA).

Of course, when I start my SS (in another 9.5 years) that will be considered as income, since at that time I'll be paying the 85% maximum (I'm sure it will be 100% by that time, regardless of who is "in charge" :bat: ).

- Ron

If you're willing to pay the $600 subscription fee to demographicsnow.com, I'm willing to run the tools for you. The data are from census and other 3rd party sources, but the numerous ways you can dissect, project, and cross all kinds of data is not matched by any other web demographics tools. No, I don't work for them. I really just want to have my free subscription back. :)

That sounds tempting, but I'd rather pontificate without facts ;)

I attended church services today and, even though there was a large crowd, the thing that struck me most was how gray the congregation was. I know there are many younger persons, and it's a holiday weekend ... but even so, a room of almost nothing but gray-haired men and women? Perhaps an omen of the future?

Back
Top Bottom