Rambler is Retiring!

Rambler

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Well folks, several months ago, my boss and I sat together and discussed succession for my role. We had two candidates, and although the final scenario is not what I had envisioned in the past, it is very clear that it is the only viable scenario that allows me to retire now or even within the next year. If we did not take this chance, the candidate we decided upon would probably no longer be available in a year, and the other candidate (who was my original targeted successor) will most likely not be ready for several more years. Although I could have somehow probably survived one more year, with some caveats, "several more years" was clearly not an option for me and DW.

So we made the decision, and pulled the pin on the grenade back in the summer. However, due to SOX restrictions and my position in the company, we could not toss the grenade until this week. So, a few days ago, the announcement was made, the grenade was tossed. Most of my colleagues and employees are shocked and amazed. Post announcement, I've had congratulations and well wishes from friends I've made and colleagues I've mentored from all over the world over my career with megacorp.

The "grenade" is set to detonate on 31 Dec, but in reality, we will go on "terminal leave" from the 25th. Our flight home will be over the weekend before Christmas, with the movers coming to collect our stuff a few days prior. The 24th is a holiday in Japan (Emperor's Birthday), but since Christmas is not celebrated as it is in the US, it is a normal work day. Since Christmas will be the first day I don't have to show up for work, and since it would have been, for me, a work day, I'm going to call that my first day of retirement. MERRY CHRISTMAS, and HAPPY RETIREMENT TO ME!

R

Last edited:
Congrats...and welcome to the Life after FIRE Club!

You have a great comeback if anyone asks what you got for Christmas this year. :)

+1

A Christmas you will definitely not forget!

Congratulations.

It must be a great feeling (he says only a little wistfully as he will be following in about 6 months).

Congrats Rambler. It's been interesting reading your posts over the years, and I hope we'll get your perspective from the other side after Christmas. We're happy for you...

MichaelB said:
+1

A Christmas you will definitely not forget!

Santa is bringing you the best present ever--the rest of your life! Including a bonus year that you do not need to stick around for.

Such good news for you and your family!

+2

tres_animadoras.gif

Can't think of a better Christmas present to yourself. Congratulations!

Congrats!

I remember that you have more than once expressed an interest in RV'ing, and I think you even talked of having more than one size to suit different trips. Looking forward to seeing your RV threads. Cheers!

Hot dog! Congratulations!!!

I was beginning to think that you might be a member of the "One More Year" club, but now you are just a member of the "One More Month" club, a much easier club from which to escape. :LOL: You are going to have the merriest Christmas ever!

Last edited:
Wonderful! This should be your best Christmas ever and congrats on your retirement!

Outstanding! Savor the feeling of closure - I remember when I was driving home from the airport after my last meeting, I started laughing hysterically :D. Knowing that part of my life was over. What an exciting time.

Way to go Rambler!

Attachments

• rambler.png
    rambler.png
    242.8 KB · Views: 13
Congratulations Rambler!

May this be your best Christmas ever and hope you really enjoy your retirement.

Very happy for you Rambler. Congratulations!!

Last edited:
Congratulations Rambler!
Will you miss Japan?

Another lifetime achievement. Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom