Reasons for Relocation after Retirement?

Reason for Relocating after Retirement

• Do not intend to relocate

Votes: 32 31.7%
  • Not originally from the area (fewer ties)

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • Not originally from the area (going back home to family)

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • Looking for something new

Votes: 20 19.8%
  • Wanted better weather or natural environment

Votes: 32 31.7%
  • Wanted better social, cultural, and infrastructure in the area

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Looking for lower cost of Living

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • Looking for International Living

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Just want out of the current location (need to get away)

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Have more resources, moving up in the world

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
When I first moved to Florida I was shocked to see how many people move a few times in retirement But Ha & Kitty you hit the nail on the head .Different places for different times in your life .I read a lot of posters thinking of rural places because of the cost of living but health care is usually substandard in these area and that is a big consideration as we age .

Moving again

When I first moved to Florida I was shocked to see how many people move a few times in retirement But Ha & Kitty you hit the nail on the head .Different places for different times in your life .I read a lot of posters thinking of rural places because of the cost of living but health care is usually substandard in these area and that is a big consideration as we age .

Now that you bring it up several older acquaintances moved several times in retirement. Usually for very good reason, most because of their health.

Being close to excellent health care becomes important as one develops diseases of aging. Rural areas don't have the facilities or personnel to give the best care, if you survive you get sent to the nearest city for treatment. Hopefully the place you are sent is good enough. The problem is you don't get to pick or research which facility to go to or what doctor or procedure is best for you. You go to the facility that is available and deal with the doctor who is there, your at a great disadvantage. Makes me nervous. Folks here don't know any better they think things are fine.

Kitty

Dawg, Nice neighborhood up the hill from downtown Seattle.

Ha

Nice. I hope to explore the pacific northwest one day. I have a cousin who has a second home on the coast of Oregon. She keeps saying she would like to have a family reunion there but I guess it's a little far for most of the family members. I sure would go. :)

Kitty -

I think your posts did an excellent job of informing some people that the "low cost-of-living" South is not always the answer for people's tastes when they FIRE. Sure, it is an inexpensive region in general to live but there is A LOT more to what makes people satisfied with where they end up than that alone. The South is not for everyone.

I hope you find what you are looking for and I hope it brings you happiness. My dad is a fed and we moved around quite a bit so I am not surprised at your "need to move" feelings. I have it too.

Kitty -

I think your posts did an excellent job of informing some people that the "low cost-of-living" South is not always the answer for people's tastes when they FIRE. Sure, it is an inexpensive region in general to live but there is A LOT more to what makes people satisfied with where they end up than that alone. The South is not for everyone.

That is true. And for anyone thinking about moving south, don't forget about the chiggers, scorpions, rattlesnakes, spiders, etc etc etc(Sorry Rewahoo, I needed to borrow your line) :)

Oh yes it is a different area all together and takes a while to get used to, some never do. Some will never feel a part of the community.

Back
Top Bottom