Reasons for Relocation after Retirement?

Reason for Relocating after Retirement

• Do not intend to relocate

Votes: 32 31.7%
  • Not originally from the area (fewer ties)

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • Not originally from the area (going back home to family)

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • Looking for something new

Votes: 20 19.8%
  • Wanted better weather or natural environment

Votes: 32 31.7%
  • Wanted better social, cultural, and infrastructure in the area

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Looking for lower cost of Living

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • Looking for International Living

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Just want out of the current location (need to get away)

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Have more resources, moving up in the world

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
Yes, given the good and poor but hard working salt-of-the-earth local residents struggling so hard here, it's superficially perplexing. Perhaps it would help to recall that Andrew/Homestead was due to a hurricane while in contrast, Katrina/New Orleans was the result of levee/floodwall/drainage system failure. Apples and oranges.

For great weather year around, how about Hawaii? I grew up there and the weather is very nice, if you ever get tired of traveling and want to settle in one location.

After thirty years in New Orleans - snow in the winter is cool. Pain in the butt to drive in sometimes - but I can pick my time cause I'm ER'd.

When it gets uncool - I can move back from a 4 season climate to a 2 or even 1 season location.

Remember Bear Bryant's linebacker.

I guess greater Kansas City doesn't leap into the average person's mind when the subject of vacation/retirement paradise comes up.

heh heh heh heh - and that's just ducky with me. :D:cool:. They say home sales have slowed in Overland Park?

After thirty years in New Orleans - snow in the winter is cool. Pain in the butt to drive in sometimes - but I can pick my time cause I'm ER'd.

My sister and niece moved to central Kansas from N.O. shortly after Katrina (she'd lived in N.O. for 30+ years). The niece really thought the snow was wonderful. She'd only ever seen snow once or twice in her life, but never for more than a day or two.....she's 16. My sister is not so impressed with it, since she grew up with snow in northern IL. I guess you could say it's all a matter of perspective. ;)

I guess greater Kansas City doesn't leap into the average person's mind when the subject of vacation/retirement paradise comes up.

We had never given KC a thought for vacation until a couple of years ago when a tour company we travel with frequently had a trip there. We had a good time and saw quite a bit. We went to a neat little museum, "Arabia Steamboat Museum". It was really interesting. We also took in some of the Christmas festivities while we were in KC. And of course, we ate our fair share of BBQ!!! YUM!!!

Yes, given the good and poor but hard working salt-of-the-earth local residents struggling so hard here, it's superficially perplexing.
I'm curious-- have you read John Barry's "Rising tide : the great Mississippi flood of 1927 and how it changed America? He's the author of "The Great Influenza" about the 1918 pandemic and he's just as thorough on the Mississippi. Spouse has noted that despite tremendous advances in technology and disaster response, over 75 years later not much had changed in Katrina's aftermath. I'm not encouraged that lessons will be really learned or that enough money will be spent to avoid repeating history.

For great weather year around, how about Hawaii? I grew up there and the weather is very nice, if you ever get tired of traveling and want to settle in one location.
Now I'm really curious. I'm familiar with the things that take people away from the islands, but many return in their 30s & 40s. What kept you away and what's keeping you away?

Now I'm really curious. I'm familiar with the things that take people away from the islands, but many return in their 30s & 40s. What kept you away and what's keeping you away?

You have probably discussed this before, but what would a 2 bedroom 2 bath townhouse/condo cost that doesn't have a water view? In other words, a low end place but not located in a high crime area.

Just wondered for grins. :D

You have probably discussed this before, but what would a 2 bedroom 2 bath townhouse/condo cost that doesn't have a water view? In other words, a low end place but not located in a high crime area.

Just wondered for grins. :D

More than I care to spend... you focused right in on why I haven't moved back to the islands. I do look on realtor.com now and then but haven't seen anything on Oahu that screams "Buy me!"

Right now I have a 3 BR, 2 bath, 1558 square foot house built in the 1970's but updated with granite countertops, crown molding, art alcoves, 5 sets of French doors, etc. It is in an excellent, very quiet neighborhood convenient to everything and I would imagine it might be worth on the order of around $200K or less. I don't think I could get much for that on Oahu. I know that in Missouri I could get the same kind of house and have some left over to pay for the move, re-decorating, and a whole lot more.

Pre-Katrina New Orleans used to be somewhat similar to Honolulu, so it was a great compromise for me. A city that is really just a big small town (check!), warm weather without snow (check!), diverse, cosmopolitan population with many interesting languages and cultures mingling and side by side (check!), a port (check!), surrounded by water in all directions (check!), lush foliage (check!)... I could go on, but it felt like home and it was affordable. Plus, the job was here so there was a great motivation to feel that way.

P.S. - - Nords, that book looks absolutely fascinating!! I read all the reviews of it on amazon.com just now, and I really want to get a copy of it. Thanks.

Last edited:
Yes, given the good and poor but hard working salt-of-the-earth local residents struggling so hard here, it's superficially perplexing. Perhaps it would help to recall that Andrew/Homestead was due to a hurricane while in contrast, Katrina/New Orleans was the result of levee/floodwall/drainage system failure. Apples and oranges.

i'm not sure it is apples and oranges. maybe macintosh & granny. certainly hard to compare to that flooding but the destruction here was so bad, that when i went down to report on the destruction the day after i almost threw-up and had to take a break because i'd never seen anything like that before.

i suspect what is more apple & orange is the resources & desirablility of the areas destroyed, as andrew occurred in a growth state. but also this is almost 15 years already since andrew and as you say, it would take a crystal ball to see new orleans then.

i think you're right on hawaii though and do consider that for distant future. i think i'll be able to afford at least the big island. but before that i'll try snowbirding first as a vagabond and then maybe as a liveaboard.

when i'm to old for all that i'll plant my last garden on hawaii and then i'll plant me.

Except for outrageous property taxes,
I already live in a less expensive part
of the country [ Dallas, Texas ]

I have thought about moving to a
smaller town nearby... but not
out of the greater DFW area.

My wife and I will relocate from California to Texas in one year.

Why? To return to "roots" and to enjoy a much lower cost of living.

We decided to accept a two-year contract to move to California (from Tennessee) in the first place knowing that a move to Texas would be inevitable. I do like the climate here, but $1+ million for a house that would cost less than half that much in Texas makes little sense for a retiree who doesn't have to stay put.

Moved from the midwest to Colorado to enjoy semi-retirement after divorce (I still have career goals but I don't work for $$$ very much). Lived in Colorado in the early 1980s and loved it but ended up moving to the midwest for 24 years. I felt like a fish out of water. Never felt like home. Both kids moved to CO to go to college so now I have family here too. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Colorado and plan to stay here forever.

We moved to a neighboring state to a "55 or better" community. The area where we had lived for 30 years had gone down hill - increased crime, changing demographics. We looked at these communities over a wide area and moved to the one we liked the most. This kept us within reasonable distance of family and friends. The move from a "blue" to a "red" state was a bit of a culture shock but after 2.5 years we have adjusted nicely.

We really like the lifestyle here. We have developed a great circle of friends within the community, something we never had before.

Grumpy

Hi Grumpy,
How do you like living in a "55 +over community". ?? My husband and I have looked at a few and, when we become 55, we would like to think serious about that lifestyle. they seem like a fun social environment. But, the cost -- we currently live in a 4 BR 3 Bath (4,000 square foot) 2 acre home $500,000 in a suburb of Phila. and the 55 + cost around $350,000 for 1/3 of living space and no ground. I hope it will be worth it.

Hi Grumpy,
How do you like living in a "55 +over community". ?? My husband and I have looked at a few and, when we become 55, we would like to think serious about that lifestyle. they seem like a fun social environment. But, the cost -- we currently live in a 4 BR 3 Bath (4,000 square foot) 2 acre home $500,000 in a suburb of Phila. and the 55 + cost around $350,000 for 1/3 of living space and no ground. I hope it will be worth it.

Jane,

We are not sure about a 55 community. But we have a large house with some property.

No matter what, we are downsizing when we ER. I think part idea of those communities is to reduce your outside work effort. Is is a condo with an extra fee monthly?

Jane,

We are not sure about a 55 community. But we have a large house with some property.

No matter what, we are downsizing when we ER. I think part idea of those communities is to reduce your outside work effort. Is is a condo with an extra fee monthly?

I have thought of an over 55 community. To me the plusses are:
(1) not being bothered by the neighbors' children, and
(2) no outside yard maintenance.

I think I can address (1) by a judicious choice of neighborhood, lot size, and fences. (2) would require a yard that is nothing but grass, and hiring someone to mow it.

For me, this could work.

If I lived in a 55+ community, a disadvantage might be that I could be subject to hefty assessments being imposed on me that wouldn't be consistent with my "living on a shoestring" retirement plans. Also, it would be annoying to have one's neighbors deciding on what you can and can't do with your property (attractive but non-standard color of paint? cutting down unwanted trees? and things like that).

Guess I am just not suited to a planned community of any type, despite the obvious advantages.

I left Silicon Valley because it was a great place to work, but only an ok place to live. Hawaii is the exact opposite, a great place to live but only an ok place to work (relatively low wages).

I moved to a rural area to fullfill a childhood dream to live on a farm. Well, I have done that. After working for the Gov. for over thirty years and being moved around about every three years or so I still have the the urge to move.

I have enjoyed retirement, the feeling when I get up in the morning and know I am in charge of my day, not someone else is wonderful. I feared not having enough money to get by in retirement, so far that isn't a problem. Then again I live in an inexpensive area and live an inexenpsive life style. I heat with wood ($200yr) water $15 a month, electricity under $40, no state tax on my retirement checks.
The draw backs are; far from relatives, still an outsider after 2 years, shopping is rather basic, health care is good but basic, services there aren't any.
I have been thinking about moving again next year, it would make three years here which would fit the pattern of moving I have been in for decades. I just haven't figured what or where is the next place.

I moved to a rural area to fullfill a childhood dream to live on a farm. Well, I have done that. After working for the Gov. for over thirty years and being moved around about every three years or so I still have the the urge to move.

I have enjoyed retirement, the feeling when I get up in the morning and know I am in charge of my day, not someone else is wonderful. I feared not having enough money to get by in retirement, so far that isn't a problem. Then again I live in an inexpensive area and live an inexenpsive life style. I heat with wood ($200yr) water $15 a month, electricity under $40, no state tax on my retirement checks.
The draw backs are; far from relatives, still an outsider after 2 years, shopping is rather basic, health care is good but basic, services there aren't any.
I have been thinking about moving again next year, it would make three years here which would fit the pattern of moving I have been in for decades. I just haven't figured what or where is the next place.

Yes. Sometimes those things we have dreamed about do not turn out to be quite as we imagined for one reason or the other. Still, if you did not try it, you would not have the experience and would wonder about it.

What I have begun to understand is that these sort of things are not categorized as attempts that were mistakes, rather life experiences. You may be ready to turn the page to another chapter... another life experience.

But isn't the moving going to be pretty expensive, and hard on your retirement budget? Or are you saving enough from your LBYM ways that it doesn't matter? Do you rent, or own?

I am retiring on a shoestring in a couple of years but would LOVE to have that kind of flexibility in retirement, in case I don't like where I end up.

Last edited:
How I can do it

I do live below my means that is for sure and I would like to keep it that way.

I own the farm it is just 24 acres with an old Amish house with 4/5 bedrooms, one bathroom that I put in myself. There is electricity (did that myself) kitchen sink, two wood stoves for heat. Huge barn, good fences, pond, productive hay field, off the road about 700'.

I have put less than 10k into the place because I am a diy sort of person. I bought the place for 110K may be able to sell it for 150-160k. I would auction all the equipment and personal stuff that I don't want and leave here with just the pets and two vehicles.

I still have most of the profit from the sale of my house in Virginia saved:D.
So I would have a fair sized grub stake to start over some where else. So that is the rub, where to start over, what new adventure to begin. How will I reinvent myself/life after this episode? The possibilities are endless. I do need to be fairly close to good medical care, got a tricky ticker, but that is easy, lots of places take care of that stuff. I keep banking at the same bank I have for years and do most of it on line anyway so no problem there. Still have my 401k untouched after two and half years of retirement;) get by on my pensions just fine. Just have to be careful not to move to a high cost of living area. I am frugal, w e l l actually cheap would be a better word:cool:. Still I live well enough for me.

To see what I am talking about see my blog; Oak Spring Farm Kentucky
The older posts show the house and barn.
I have enjoyed it here now is the time to start planning for the next adventure.
Kitty

I do live below my means that is for sure and I would like to keep it that way.

I own the farm it is just 24 acres with an old Amish house with 4/5 bedrooms, one bathroom that I put in myself. There is electricity (did that myself) kitchen sink, two wood stoves for heat. Huge barn, good fences, pond, productive hay field, off the road about 700'.

I have put less than 10k into the place because I am a diy sort of person. I bought the place for 110K may be able to sell it for 150-160k. I would auction all the equipment and personal stuff that I don't want and leave here with just the pets and two vehicles.

I still have most of the profit from the sale of my house in Virginia saved:D.
So I would have a fair sized grub stake to start over some where else. So that is the rub, where to start over, what new adventure to begin. How will I reinvent myself/life after this episode? The possibilities are endless. I do need to be fairly close to good medical care, got a tricky ticker, but that is easy, lots of places take care of that stuff. I keep banking at the same bank I have for years and do most of it on line anyway so no problem there. Still have my 401k untouched after two and half years of retirement;) get by on my pensions just fine. Just have to be careful not to move to a high cost of living area. I am frugal, w e l l actually cheap would be a better word:cool:. Still I live well enough for me.

I have enjoyed it here now is the time to start planning for the next adventure.
Kitty

Your house and farm are beautiful, and life there must by idyllic! Good luck in selling it. Like you, I am frugal (actually cheap) so that is why I was being so nosy about how you plan to afford moving. But since the equity in your house in Virginia, or from your farm would pay for it, why not? :) I loved reading your blog and seeing pictures of your life on the farm (though I am not a country girl, so I won't be retiring on a farm).

You know if your a farm girl or not intuitively, I like getting dirty and sweaty sometimes and to me it is fun (not all the time) and a learning experience.
On the other hand there are times when I enjoy a different life style where I can let my feminine side have its way. I was visiting relatives in Boston and got to the beauty shop for a day and it sure felt good to have my manicure, pedicure and hair done, then go shopping at the big stores. Of course all that costs money, so I don't think I could do it often. Nice while it lasted though :)
Kitty

Kitty

What a wonderful way to "meet" you! I browsed through your blog and will come back later to read some more. You're a good writer and have interesting stuff to write about.

I enjoyed Kitty's blog too. I bookmarked it and will drop by once in a while. I admire you Kitty for taking on farming. It appears that you live alone and do all of this by yourself. I really admire you since I am still trying to adapt to single life again after losing my husband a little over a year ago. I used to think of myself as independent, before marriage, but over our 20 year marriage I think I lost some of that. It's a new life.

Kitty ,
Really interesting Blog .You certainly are an adventurer .Where are you thinking of moving next ?

I have a sister who is as adventurous as I am who lives here part time between her tours of duty on an oil research ship in the Gulf Of Mexico. So it is not all done alone. Those jobs beyond me I have hired out like putting on a new roof and some serious carpentry work shoring up the house.

The big question is what is next. I have been brain storming as to where and what to do next. Some ideas are to live on a boat, full time RV, buy a fixer upper house and redo it. Just can't warm up to any idea yet.

I will look into several ideas and talk with folks doing them and then sell this place and try out the new adventure.

When you have been part of a couple and then for what ever reason your not a part of a couple anymore, you go through some serious adjustment. We get connected in hundreds of ways as a couple and when it comes to an end we have to learn again how to behave as a single. Not so easy when the relationship was a long and good one. It takes a while to learn to live your life on your own and for yourself. It is scary sometimes, however I have found that a lot of things I worried about never came true.

Start with brave little steps and go from there and ignore the people who want you to be dependent and restricted because of their fears. Pick what you want to do and go for it using your intelligence and intuition.

Kitty

Start with brave little steps and go from there and ignore the people who want you to be dependent and restricted because of their fears. Pick what you want to do and go for it using your intelligence and intuition.

You never actually say it and this may not be part of your reason for leaving, but the kind of life you have led can be very satisfying but also lonely and isolated. I raised my family in a prosperous agricultural area and we all enjoyed in very much. But different circumstances and needs require different responses.

My kids grew up early, left early, finished college early and started working and succeeding early. So a major part of my life was much reduced.

Then my wife got lonely and took off to re-ignite a career she had left years earlier. She has succeeded very well. I hung on, enjoying the eagles and the solitude, keeping company with my dog and with trips to see friends in the city 60 miles away. Most of my close local friends moved away over time, and the people I was able to meet locally just didn't fill my needs as well.

Then I was in a car crash (hate those rural roads, heavy drinkers, out of control teenagers!). This cut down on my social life because it was too damn scary to get out on the roads and come home late at night. But I was too lonely to stay home all the time.

Next my dog died, and oddly enough this was the last straw that got me off my butt and out of there.

I'm now in the middle of the city. It's an expensive city, but renting saves so much money over buying if you are willing to downsize. All I need is some space, and a safe and esthetically pleasing neighborhood and interesting things to do and people I know or can meet. Luckily my kids are also within 5 miles and I see them way more frequently.

I'm a senior, and although I am in good health I want to be a fast ambulance ride from good hospitals. I want to be s short walk or bus or cab ride from good specialists. Last fall an ophthalmologist told me I had glaucoma. So I went to see a doctor at a large eye clinic who does only glaucoma. He had lots of expensive instruments to really check out my eyes. Result- no glaucoma.

I also want to be near museums and a type of cultural opportunity which can lift my spirits. Particularly as one ages, I think art can help so much to keep us engaged in a spiritually healing way.

So I don't know how similar you are to this, but I would head for a good sized city, preferably one where you have some familiarity and maybe even some family and or friends already in place.

I have even found that most people in my building are very friendly and outgoing, even though most are much younger than I am.

Solitude is great; but loneliness is not.

ha

Reply again

Wow, the similarities are so close!
I have cardiac disease and getting EMS here in an emergency and getting to the hospital in time is iffy at best. The local hospital does what it can, but it is under funded and let's face it the doctors there are not as sophisticated/knowledgeable as in the major medical centers, equipment doesn't impress either it is dated and tired looking.

I haven't impressed the neighbors I have only two who are friendly the others have not bothered to introduce themselves and when I went to introduce myself I could sense a coldness. I am not a Christian Conservative or what ever it is they are around here. One of the first things they ask you is what church you attend. In my travels that would have been a NOYB type of question here it is part of your identity.
I met one neighbor last week and the first thing out of the man's mouth was "oh your the lady that works like a man" ! He said it twice so it must bother him I wear overalls and swing a hammer and mean it. I don't fit their mold, then again I don't fit into many molds.

When my sister is here I have someone to talk to and bitch at and even though we do tasks differently we enjoy each others company. When she is gone it gets lonely. The dogs are company to a point. I sometimes drive to the next fair size town to shop and be around people for a while. Even there the biggest store is Wal-Mart not especially sophisticated, seen one you've seen them all.

I am sure I don't want to live in an apartment or condo, done that and it is not pleasing to me. Living in an area with a really good hospital or medical center within a half hour's drive would be reassuring. To have bookstores, coffee shops, theater and art museums, restaurants of various cultures, and other services would be stimulating. I like going to a restaurant and having a glass of wine with dinner, here that ain't going to happen, it's a dry county.

The relatives; my children and grandchildren are in Arizona and Idaho far away from here and the likely hood of them visiting me are slim and none, I will have to visit them if I want to see them. Email is great up to a point can't put your arms around it though.

Your experience driving the country roads is right on I don't like to drive after dark around here, on these narrow roads the shoulders don't exist if you go off the road you are in a wreck and you might not survive it. There is a lot of drinking and driving here even though it is a dry county, the evidence is the beer bottles and cans I pick up by my mail box. The locals here use the roads to try out their NASCAR wannabe race cars and there are no police patrols. If I were to call the local Law Enforcement about it I would most likely be talking to one their cousins or school chums and your not going to get any where with a complaint, so forget it.

So the similarities between what you experienced and I have experienced are very close. Time to move on and have some fun some where else.

Kitty

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom