Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 06:32 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forced to Retire View Post
As I sit in the mall, and look at these sad people I wonder what they may have been in their working life before society and the corporate employers sent them packing. Maybe a bank Vice President, A Lawyer, a Public Relations Executive, a HR Manager. Who knows. But this week they are just killing time.
One of my fears when I decided to FIRE was that I would end up vegetating at home (or wherever) - essentially doing nothing but watching the days go by.

Almost three years in, I realize how misplaced that fear was. Keeping myself physically and mentally active is easier than I thought it would be. There are so many things to do (especially in a big city), I am spoiled for choice. Sometimes, I spend more time deciding what not to do rather than what to do and wish there were more than 24 hours in a day and more than 7 days in a week.

And, sure, some things cost money but there are plenty of low cost or free options - half-priced movies, walks in the country parks, a day at the beach, volunteer activities and all the great things one can do on a computer. The list is endless.

And, yes, I was to some extent married to my job (partner in a big law firm) but I never felt like the job defined me and (absent physical or mental health issues) I fail to see why people resign themselves to doing nothing.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2016, 08:36 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Doing nothing is a perfectly legitimate activity...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 09-01-2016, 08:42 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Not according to my wife ...
Old 09-01-2016, 08:48 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
But I'm so good at doing nothing.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:03 AM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
half-priced movies, walks in the country parks, a day at the beach, volunteer activities and all the great things one can do on a computer. The list is endless.
Yes the list of things to do one a computer is growing so we limit our time to 3-4 hours a day. This includes portfolio management and searching for things (like travel planning). The one thing we have discovered in that email is so much more succinct than phone calls. But phone calls are sometimes necessary to maintain a relationship.