Revenge is Sweet

hellbender

Recycles dryer sheets
I sat through the first meeting with BC in the rain at Blacksburg. Today made it worthwhile. Go Hokies!! Orange Bowl bound.

Don't know where Blacksburg is or what honkies you are referring
too! Is this some type of redneck or ebonics talk?
I guess what ever rows your boat.

He is talking about the Virginia Tech (ranked 6) Boston College (ranked 11) college football game.
Virginia Tech won 30 to 16.

hokies - honkies......... same thing......

I try to get a clue about what a post means before I make insulting inferences about its author. Geez. :rolleyes:

Honkies? Rednecks? Ebonics?

Just wanted to talk a little college football. Oh well. . . . yeah hokie football floats my boat. In retirement I will be attending many hokies games without having to worry about going to work tomorrow. So sue me.

YouTube - Virginia Tech Enter Sandman Entrance

I understood what you were talking about. I love college football too. After what VT went through a few months ago, the hokie nation deserve something to be happy about.

Honkies? Rednecks? Ebonics?

Just wanted to talk a little college football. Oh well. . . . yeah hokie football floats my boat. In retirement I will be attending many hokies games without having to worry about going to work tomorrow. So sue me.

Way to go. I love college football too, and basketball. While we are on the topic, what is a Hokie? And to go a bit laterally, what is a Hoya, as in Georgetown Hoyas?

Ha

From The BC Game Notes . . . .

What's a Hokie?

"That’s the most often-asked question
regarding Virginia Tech athletics. The answer
leads all the way back to 1896 when Virginia
Agricultural and Mechanical College changed
its name to Virginia Polytechnic Institute.
With the change came the necessity for
writing a new cheer and a contest for such a
purpose was held by the student body. Senior
O.M. Stull won first prize for his "Old Hokie"
yell which still is used today.
Later, when asked if "Hokie" had any
special meaning, Stull explained the words
he used had no hidden or symbolic meaning,
but had been thought up in an effort to get
attention. Hokie soon became a nickname for
all Tech teams and for those people loyal to
Tech athletics.
Following is the "Old Hokie" yell in its
original form:

Hoki, Hoki, Hoki Hy!
Tech! Tech! V.P.I.!
Sola-Rex Sola-Rah
Polytech-Vir-gin-i-a!!
Rae, Ri, V.P.I.

My favorite team name is the Fighting Quakers of U Penn. They'll be in the Oxymoron Bowl this and every other year.

What's a Hokie?
Later, when asked if "Hokie" had any
special meaning, Stull explained the words
he used had no hidden or symbolic meaning,
but had been thought up in an effort to get
attention. Hokie soon became a nickname for
all Tech teams and for those people loyal to
Tech athletics.
Thanks, Bender.
Unless the meaning has changed since I graduated back in 86, a Hokie is a Fighting Gobbler. They used to have a picture of a turkey on the stadium - not sure if it still exists or not.
Under one definition, I am a Hokie; another one I am not(except for that occasional rib from others).
Go Hokies!!

Me Too!

Thanks, Bender.
Unless the meaning has changed since I graduated back in 86, a Hokie is a Fighting Gobbler. They used to have a picture of a turkey on the stadium - not sure if it still exists or not.
Under one definition, I am a Hokie; another one I am not(except for that occasional rib from others).
Go Hokies!!

Back in the seventies there was a turkey head on the scoreboard. Every time Tech scored a touchdown it's strobe-light eyeball would flash and the sound of a turkey gobble would be broadcast over the PA system. This (as you might imagine) struck fear in all but the bravest opponents. ;) This is still done and with increasing frequency. Due to it's blood-curdling affect on the visiting team, the turkey now gobbles on many opponent third downs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom