running a guesthouse

claire

Recycles dryer sheets
has anyone ever thought (or is anyone currently) running a guesthouse in ER? just wondering if running that sort of business could bring the ER forward a bit, you know a place to live that generates income too.

Perhaps something low maintenance just a handful of rooms, just breakfast no other food, what do people think? And what would be a good location, I was thinking of the east coast of the usa, new england (expensive?) or virginia? what sort of money do these things cost? :-\

I can't really help you, but I do have one suggestion. If you decide to do this, find a way to distinguish yourself--my personal fave would be a non-allergenic B&B. I've pretty much stopped staying at them because I get little sleep due to labored breathing all night--too much dust (those frilly curtains, fancy moldings, stuffed animals and other collectibles that aren't dusted thoroughly enough or often enough)--not to mention plush bedding that isn't cleaned often enough, resident cats (and their dander), and, surprisingly frequently, mold problems in baths, rugs, and bedding. I know several other people who avoid B&Bs for the same reason--people who would otherwise like to stay at them when they travel.

Good luck with your decision, and with your inn if you decide to do it!

Our next door neighbor is a B&B and there is another B & B just kitty corner from us.

I find turnkey B & Bs pretty pricey. The people who did the conversion and had fun filling the place with antiques, then sold, made the money. Places with less than 5 rooms have a tough go of it, at least in our market.

It is not like having friends in your home. I am told that many guests will view you as their servant. And some guests like to complain. For example, our neighbor serves breakfast during certain hours. A guest knew that fact but wanted breakfast at 5:00am. They were not given an early breakfast, but were told the night before their would be fruit and some other items for them in the refrigerator. They were ticked off and protested the credit card charges for their stay.

Many people run B&B's in our area,most are very enthusuastic about who they meet.

We travel the UK extensivly, we always stay at B&B's, great way to keep costs down and to meet locals.

We have stayed at some magnificent mansions in the UK, lot less than comparable hotel.

claire said:
has anyone ever thought (or is anyone currently) running a guesthouse in ER?

If you try to keep it small and simple, you'll be tied down to a residential 7X24 business for very little income.  If you expand, well then it isn't small and simple anymore.

We've stayed at a B and B in northern Wisconsin a number of times and really enjoyed it thanks to the great owners/hosts.  In a previous life, they were employees (finance types I think) of a paper company.  But, observing their life style, I wouldn't call them ER by any means.  It's a new job they seem to like, but they difinitely aren't retired! 

Yeah, my wife and I kicked the idea around for about 30 seconds.   It really does seem like a lot of work and would only be satisfying if you *really* liked people.  I only like a few people.  :)

If you want a nice business in semi-retirement, how about a self-service storage facility?    The places near us charge around $1/sq ft/month, which is about what apartments go for.    Seems like much less overhead, less maintenance, and fewer people problems.

The storage place closest to me was staffed by an older couple.    They had a treadmill in the office, and a little garden behind the office.   Seemed pretty low stress to me.

Make the reality test:
Before investing time and money to have one of my own I would try to work in one for some time.
You may offer to volunteer during vacation or sickness leave of the owner.

Relatives rented out a small apartment to tourists on a weekly basis. Soon they realized that the work involved and lost independence would not justify the low profit. So they returned quickly to rent it out for less but on a permanent basis. I guess it is similar with B&B or guesthouse.

You'll make tons of money, as long as stay under the police radar.

...Oh, you said running a guest house. nm

TromboneAl said:
You'll make tons of money, as long as stay under the police radar.
...Oh, you said running a guest house.   nm
Al, whenever I'm contemplating whether to make an off-color post or to let the moment be lost forever, it's a comfort to know that you'll probably get there first.

Hi again, Claire,

The subject of B&Bs used to pop up in the Eastern press regularly. As I recall, it was a good way to go broke, on the average, while working yourself to death.

Consider being a paid caretaker for someone else's property. The The Caretaker Gazette: http://www.caretaker.org/ You get paid and you don't have to put up with guests. You can go all over the world, too. No investment required.

Ed

astromeria said:
I can't really help you, but I do have one suggestion. If you decide to do this, find a way to distinguish yourself--

I could do this. I could offer a totally macabre experience. English Breakfast Tea in old oil cans, stuff like that.

Ha

There's a place in California called the Madonna Inn.    I've never been, but it sounds like something Ha would like.

Here's a site dedicated to the urinals of the Madonna Inn:

http://www.urinal.net/madonna/

wab said:
There's a place in California called the Madonna Inn.    I've never been, but it sounds like something Ha would like.

Not conditional, I have been there and I did like it. When I first arrived in LA I made friends with an Italian guy who ran a liquor store near where I lived. He told me where to eat, where to stay, what was real and unreal, all over LA, the rest of “The Southland” and Las Vegas. The guy was never wrong. Every year he went to Milan for part of the La Scala season. Very cultured guy, and a real eater. Looked like James Gandofini.

Madonna Inn was one of his first recs.

Ha

wab said:

Here's a site dedicated to the urinals of the Madonna Inn:

http://www.urinal.net/madonna/

We stayed at the Madonna Inn on Christmas Eve/Christmas a few years ago. Very fun, and the owner (Mr. Madonna) came into the dining room to introduce himself to everyone personally. Cool place to stay.

We stayed there a couple of summers ago. Its cool that they have a postcard of every room. They gave us one of our room which had a forest theme.

I imagine running a B&B is a nice composite of running a hotel and running a restaurant. :p

I found a couple that might meet ER low-hassle status. When I was working I had to regularly travel to a couple of areas that frequently had very low hotel vacancy rates. I found a psuedo B&B at each one that primarily hosted business people during the week rather than couples on weekends. Simple layouts, nothing fancy, but nice. One breakfast served starting at 6am and available through 7am. Pretty full all the time. Not a lot of nonsense or high expectations.

Back
Top Bottom