Someday's I feel no purpose

I wouldn't dismiss the 'winter blahs', some people are affected more than others with lack of daylight and cabin fever (personally, the cold doesn't bother me much, but a long string of dreary days does).

But if you've ruled that out, my advice is to 'get over it'! You are in control now. I was never more bored and never felt like I had less purpose in life than when I was assigned with some meaningless task at work, something that I knew no good would come from, but it was on some managers to-do list to get their bonus, and I just had to suck it up and do it. And things that could make a difference were left undone, they weren't 'attention getters'. Arghhhhhh!

Do you really feel more purpose doing something you are told to do, rather than deciding what you want to do? Think about it. Take control.

hah - I haven't used one of my many 'favorite' lines from Rock 'n Roll songs - from the Eagles, "Already Gone" - So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains. And we never even know we have the key.

And I sure appreciated NW-Bound's, "California Dreamin'" Haven't heard that in a while, a real classic. And wow, that Michelle Phillips sure was hot!!

-ERD50

I get a little depressed most winters, due to SAD. But I had this while I was working too. This winter is the coldest, snowiest one I have experienced in my current location, and cabin fever is definitely an issue. However, I have a number of coping mechanisms, including a winter vacation or two, activities with friends, and bright light therapy. I find I am annoying the opportunity to cocoon for a while. I do not feel any lack of purpose and I'm thankful that I can spend a morning reading in bed while those poor working folks out there slide around on the ice.

Weather is a big issue for some of us. I use a Fitbit, and although it is trite, the competition found on one's leader board, and the badges that Fitbit sends along at various milestones help a lot. Also, while Seattle can sometimes be kind of unpleasant outside, it is never or very rarely a "gotta stay in" day. I usually go out at least 2 or 3 times each day, I see my girlfriend 3-4 times a week, I visit with the friends I have made in my building and occasionally go out for coffee or a Happy Hour with some of them.

Also reading is good. I am studying Stoic Philosophy which appealed to me at University, and it appeals to me even more today. Sh*t Happens., and it helps to have a coherent way of meeting these challenges.

I sometimes think I would feel better if I had been a star or some kind of wonderful person, but I wasn't and I never would have done what would have been necessary to accomplish anything astounding.

I only wanted to have control over my own life, and get along well with the girls.

Ha

Great advise and interesting solutions for the long days of winter and to have a purpose.

As for building a house I built my home from the ground up and did everything but plumb the home. It was a challenge and very rewarding journey. I built it 34 years ago and I'm still in the same home today. I had some build experience but never had taken on a challenge like that. The bank was very hesitant to give me a construction loan but I convinced them that I would finish the house and make the payments as scheduled. They gave me the loan and in 3 month's I was living in the home. The banker told me if every person that comes in and gets a loan would be like you it would make banking easy. Two years later I had the home paid for. Doing everything myself I saved thousands of dollars and paid the home off in two years I could really stick money away for retirement.
Not being retired yet for one and being the first winter there has been a few long days. I tell myself it is good to just bum around a few day while the weather is bad. It does give me a purpose not to do anything if I want too. Lol

For me "Having purpose" is greatly overrated! Humans may be the only species on earth that thinks there must be purpose in their life. I reached the age of 73, have a great family, friends and enjoy getting up in the morning. Nothing that I do has purpose. It just is!
+1

I wouldn't dismiss the 'winter blahs', some people are affected more than others with lack of daylight and cabin fever (personally, the cold doesn't bother me much, but a long string of dreary days does).

But if you've ruled that out, my advice is to 'get over it'! You are in control now. I was never more bored and never felt like I had less purpose in life than when I was assigned with some meaningless task at work, something that I knew no good would come from, but it was on some managers to-do list to get their bonus, and I just had to suck it up and do it. And things that could make a difference were left undone, they weren't 'attention getters'. Arghhhhhh!

Do you really feel more purpose doing something you are told to do, rather than deciding what you want to do? Think about it. Take control.

hah - I haven't used one of my many 'favorite' lines from Rock 'n Roll songs - from the Eagles, "Already Gone" - So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains. And we never even know we have the key.

And I sure appreciated NW-Bound's, "California Dreamin'" Haven't heard that in a while, a real classic. And wow, that Michelle Phillips sure was hot!!

-ERD50
I love that song. It was playing on the radio the last day I pulled into the parking lot at w*rk.

-ERD50

That is great! Thanks

Someday's I feel like I have no purpose in life. This winter has been a long one so far with a lot of snow and deadly cold days. I still get out and walk about 3 miles even days like that. This is a bad year for weather and generally it is better.
Does anyone else feel that way after working all those years in a rat race world? I have days where I'm not busy and it makes me feel like I need to be doing something and not having a purpose. I do have things I can do but I don't feel like doing them. These things aren't something that has to be done at all.
Do you have these feelings at sometime after you have retired? Please don't get me wrong I do love retirement and feel very blessed with being able to FIRE.

Yep - early in ER when I still would get 'unemployed slacker twinges'. Note I was layed off 13 yrs before my 'planned' early retirement.

Like that old Abe Lincoln quote "This Too shall pass."

I worked hard on the mental Zen of 'doing nothing in particular' and watching grass grow and paint dry and all that ther. ;)

heh heh heh - learn to cherish not having a purpose. At 22 years of ER I promise there are days starting with a blank sheet ending up busier than the proverbial one armed paper hanger. Even if you personally swear to never volunteer. :rolleyes: :facepalm: :LOL::LOL::greetings10:

Warm weather and blue skies help keep the winter blues away. Take a look at "snow birding" down south for Jan.-Mar. Walking, biking, boating, swimming, tennis, golf. Lots of libraries and nice restaurants. New places to explore.

Besides, no one ever died from shoveling sunshine.

Might partially be the winter influence indeed. Three years ago I started avoiding the holiday season, going to sunny areas. Gave a strong boost to my happiness every time.

Once I started thinking more about this I realized that I get down moods every year, for as long as I can remember. Call it mild SAD.

So no more dark days for me if I can help it. May have nothing to do with your thoughts, in which case: carry on ..

Purpose

Street : An excellent book to read is The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren. It is a best seller and has been read by millions of people. The book may help.

For me "Having purpose" is greatly overrated! Humans may be the only species on earth that thinks there must be purpose in their life. I reached the age of 73, have a great family, friends and enjoy getting up in the morning. Nothing that I do has purpose. It just is!

+1 A good attitude.

There might be a difference between 'having a purpose' and the 'winter blahs'. As someone noted here, even while working a lot of people don't feel like they have a purpose, so it might not be retirement that's the culprit.

Maybe it's just a work hangover. Work does give you a certain structure to life.

I have a few friends: childless trust-funders who've never worked a day in their lives, nor contributed much to society other than pay taxes, for whom "having a purpose in life" has never entered their mind.

No, in the 11+ years since I've been FIREd I've never had that feeling. I think I've mastered the ability to simply "be" and find contentment in that small accomplishment.

Or maybe I'm delusional... :)

Maybe?

, even while working a lot of people don't feel like they have a purpose

Reminds me of the lyrics from that old Canadian band 'Trooper'....

"We're here for a long time, not a good time.." ;)

Well, you got to fly Bronco's so there is that.

At 8 months in to retirement, this is my first time dealing with winter while not working. I've noticed I'm not quite as productive as I am during the warmer months. I initially had problems with pacing when I retired. That first week I about killed myself trying to get everything done right away. I felt like I had overcome that and really hit my stride about the time the first snow flakes started falling. I was a little worried/depressed about the lack of productivity at first, but I've pushed myself to do something productive, something fun, and something that makes me learn each day. But it's also nice to watch the snow falling, know that it's below zero outside, and decide, "Eh, not today." I make a fire and curl up with a good book. As I often tell our cat, "It's a good day to be an indoor cat."

I've noticed I'm not quite as productive as I am during the warmer months.

There's your problem right there. :)

Measuring (or even contemplating) "productivity" in retirement is an unecessary remnant left over from the w*rking world. The sooner you break that nasty habit the happier you will be. :D

There's your problem right there. :)

Measuring (or even contemplating) "productivity" in retirement is an unecessary remnant left over from the w*rking world. The sooner you break that nasty habit the happier you will be. :D

Perhaps.

I'm not big in to the ideal of needing a "purpose" in life or anything philosophical like that. But I think I would feel awkward if I worked hard to retire early and then didn't manage to keep my life in order. There's no excuse for dirty dishes or unfolded laundry when you're not working. Sitting around saying "Oh, someday I'm going to re-do that living room" and then spending 5 days binge watching Breaking Bad feels "off" to me. I still make my weekly to-do lists, and I still derive satisfaction from crossing items off that list. Sometimes the list contains things like "finish reading book" or "go checkout new coffee place" so it's not like I feel that I'm pushing myself too hard, mind you. But yeah, you're right, I still do that mental status report at the end of each week.

My purpose in life is to make it to retirement. Has been since my first year in the sweatshop. TMY to my rendezvous with destiny!

I think I've mastered the ability to simply "be" and find contentment in that small accomplishment.

I think that is a great point! I'm only a little under a year into FIRE, but I think I'm well on my way to mastering this concept :cool:

Looking for a purposeful pursuit? My wife volunteers at the local food pantry. Just about every town has one, and most of them are understaffed and would welcome some help.

Yes, I have that feeling -- every single day I go to work! I have never derived a sense of purpose from my job. It is one of the many reasons I began working on FIRE.

I have many hobbies, most of which are being rudely inhibited by the 45-50 hours per week involved in my employment. I can not wait until the whole 'work' thing is out of the way so that I can pursue my hobbies full time. Some are more meaningful than others. Hopefully I'll find a few that give me a 'sense of purpose' -- like my genealogy and my memoir projects.

Get out of the snow. Expand your mind beyond your house. :)

Back
Top Bottom