Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-10-2017, 06:59 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
If you don't have enough to do, may I suggest building your own house by yourself. You will have plenty to do. ...
... particularly as you are also fending off the weather while building it. But it is unquestionable how it can keep one super busy.

When people are trying to survive, that becomes their purpose and they do not have time to think about being bored.

I'd rather keep my mind busy on other less critical things, like finding out where I will park the rental car to go into Milan, or how to take the tour at Remy Martin distillery in the next trip.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2017, 07:12 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of building one's house, I recall recently watching on DVD a movie called "Still Mine". It was based on a true story of a man in his 80s who set out to build a new home because his existing house was no longer suitable for his ailing wife and himself. This movie got several nominations for some awards.

Talk about giving oneself a purpose! I am not that good. I can find purpose in much more mundane things, like how to cook a dish better.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:19 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've never felt purposeless, but if I did, I would go out there and find some purpose. Happiness is one of our most important responsibilities.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:39 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
For me "Having purpose" is greatly overrated! Humans may be the only species on earth that thinks there must be purpose in their life. I reached the age of 73, have a great family, friends and enjoy getting up in the morning. Nothing that I do has purpose. It just is!
+1!
Old 01-10-2017, 07:47 PM   #25

I can't ever remember needing a purpose for life. Cogito Ergo Sum.

BTW What the heck did Descartes do all day beside trying prove that he does not exist, and failing.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:50 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I wouldn't dismiss the 'winter blahs', some people are affected more than others with lack of daylight and cabin fever (personally, the cold doesn't bother me much, but a long string of dreary days does).

But if you've ruled that out, my advice is to 'get over it'! You are in control now. I was never more bored and never felt like I had less purpose in life than when I was assigned with some meaningless task at work, something that I knew no good would come from, but it was on some managers to-do list to get their bonus, and I just had to suck it up and do it. And things that could make a difference were left undone, they weren't 'attention getters'. Arghhhhhh!

Do you really feel more purpose doing something you are told to do, rather than deciding what you want to do? Think about it. Take control.

hah - I haven't used one of my many 'favorite' lines from Rock 'n Roll songs - from the Eagles, "Already Gone" - So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains. And we never even know we have the key.

And I sure appreciated NW-Bound's, "California Dreamin'" Haven't heard that in a while, a real classic. And wow, that Michelle Phillips sure was hot!!

-ERD50
Old 01-10-2017, 07:50 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I get a little depressed most winters, due to SAD. But I had this while I was working too. This winter is the coldest, snowiest one I have experienced in my current location, and cabin fever is definitely an issue. However, I have a number of coping mechanisms, including a winter vacation or two, activities with friends, and bright light therapy. I find I am annoying the opportunity to cocoon for a while. I do not feel any lack of purpose and I'm thankful that I can spend a morning reading in bed while those poor working folks out there slide around on the ice.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:50 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Weather is a big issue for some of us. I use a Fitbit, and although it is trite, the competition found on one's leader board, and the badges that Fitbit sends along at various milestones help a lot. Also, while Seattle can sometimes be kind of unpleasant outside, it is never or very rarely a "gotta stay in" day. I usually go out at least 2 or 3 times each day, I see my girlfriend 3-4 times a week, I visit with the friends I have made in my building and occasionally go out for coffee or a Happy Hour with some of them.

Also reading is good. I am studying Stoic Philosophy which appealed to me at University, and it appeals to me even more today. Sh*t Happens., and it helps to have a coherent way of meeting these challenges.

I sometimes think I would feel better if I had been a star or some kind of wonderful person, but I wasn't and I never would have done what would have been necessary to accomplish anything astounding.

I only wanted to have control over my own life, and get along well with the girls.

Ha
Old 01-10-2017, 07:55 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Great advise and interesting solutions for the long days of winter and to have a purpose.

As for building a house I built my home from the ground up and did everything but plumb the home. It was a challenge and very rewarding journey. I built it 34 years ago and I'm still in the same home today. I had some build experience but never had taken on a challenge like that. The bank was very hesitant to give me a construction loan but I convinced them that I would finish the house and make the payments as scheduled. They gave me the loan and in 3 month's I was living in the home. The banker told me if every person that comes in and gets a loan would be like you it would make banking easy. Two years later I had the home paid for. Doing everything myself I saved thousands of dollars and paid the home off in two years I could really stick money away for retirement.
Not being retired yet for one and being the first winter there has been a few long days. I tell myself it is good to just bum around a few day while the weather is bad. It does give me a purpose not to do anything if I want too. Lol
Old 01-10-2017, 08:36 PM   #30

Quote:
For me "Having purpose" is greatly overrated! Humans may be the only species on earth that thinks there must be purpose in their life. I reached the age of 73, have a great family, friends and enjoy getting up in the morning. Nothing that I do has purpose. It just is!
+1
Old 01-10-2017, 08:38 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I wouldn't dismiss the 'winter blahs', some people are affected more than others with lack of daylight and cabin fever (personally, the cold doesn't bother me much, but a long string of dreary days does).

But if you've ruled that out, my advice is to 'get over it'! You are in control now. I was never more bored and never felt like I had less purpose in life than when I was assigned with some meaningless task at work, something that I knew no good would come from, but it was on some managers to-do list to get their bonus, and I just had to suck it up and do it. And things that could make a difference were left undone, they weren't 'attention getters'. Arghhhhhh!

Do you really feel more purpose doing something you are told to do, rather than deciding what you want to do? Think about it. Take control.

hah - I haven't used one of my many 'favorite' lines from Rock 'n Roll songs - from the Eagles, "Already Gone" - So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains. And we never even know we have the key.

And I sure appreciated NW-Bound's, "California Dreamin'" Haven't heard that in a while, a real classic. And wow, that Michelle Phillips sure was hot!!

-ERD50
I love that song. It was playing on the radio the last day I pulled into the parking lot at w*rk.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:09 PM   #32

Quote:

-ERD50
That is great! Thanks
Old 01-10-2017, 09:17 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Someday's I feel like I have no purpose in life. This winter has been a long one so far with a lot of snow and deadly cold days. I still get out and walk about 3 miles even days like that. This is a bad year for weather and generally it is better.
Does anyone else feel that way after working all those years in a rat race world? I have days where I'm not busy and it makes me feel like I need to be doing something and not having a purpose. I do have things I can do but I don't feel like doing them. These things aren't something that has to be done at all.
Do you have these feelings at sometime after you have retired? Please don't get me wrong I do love retirement and feel very blessed with being able to FIRE.
Yep - early in ER when I still would get 'unemployed slacker twinges'. Note I was layed off 13 yrs before my 'planned' early retirement.

Like that old Abe Lincoln quote "This Too shall pass."

I worked hard on the mental Zen of 'doing nothing in particular' and watching grass grow and paint dry and all that ther.

heh heh heh - learn to cherish not having a purpose. At 22 years of ER I promise there are days starting with a blank sheet ending up busier than the proverbial one armed paper hanger. Even if you personally swear to never volunteer.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:53 PM   #34

Quote:
And I sure appreciated NW-Bound's, "California Dreamin'" Haven't heard that in a while, a real classic. And wow, that Michelle Phillips sure was hot!!.....-ERD50
I was thinking the same thing....
Old 01-11-2017, 01:47 AM   #35

Warm weather and blue skies help keep the winter blues away. Take a look at "snow birding" down south for Jan.-Mar. Walking, biking, boating, swimming, tennis, golf. Lots of libraries and nice restaurants. New places to explore.

Besides, no one ever died from shoveling sunshine.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:16 AM   #36

Might partially be the winter influence indeed. Three years ago I started avoiding the holiday season, going to sunny areas. Gave a strong boost to my happiness every time.

Once I started thinking more about this I realized that I get down moods every year, for as long as I can remember. Call it mild SAD.

So no more dark days for me if I can help it. May have nothing to do with your thoughts, in which case: carry on ..
Old 01-11-2017, 05:12 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Purpose

Street : An excellent book to read is The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren. It is a best seller and has been read by millions of people. The book may help.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:23 AM   #38

Quote:
+1 A good attitude.

There might be a difference between 'having a purpose' and the 'winter blahs'. As someone noted here, even while working a lot of people don't feel like they have a purpose, so it might not be retirement that's the culprit.

Maybe it's just a work hangover. Work does give you a certain structure to life.

I have a few friends: childless trust-funders who've never worked a day in their lives, nor contributed much to society other than pay taxes, for whom "having a purpose in life" has never entered their mind.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:25 AM   #39

Quote:
And wow, that Michelle Phillips sure was hot!!

-ERD50
Still is, last time I looked.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:53 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
No, in the 11+ years since I've been FIREd I've never had that feeling. I think I've mastered the ability to simply "be" and find contentment in that small accomplishment.

Or maybe I'm delusional...
Maybe?

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote