SS Statement and Medicare?

Rustic23

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
It seems that if you are 65 and apply for Medicare, then you can not use the new Retirement Calculator that SS has.

I requested a statement, and I got the usual three page statement with NO calculations. It said because I was a Medicare recipient they could/would not calculate benefits.

Now I had not planned on taking SS till 70 or maybe 66 when I am fully eligible, but does anyone know why you can not get a statement if you are on Medicare?

It seems that if you are 65 and apply for Medicare, then you can not use the new Retirement Calculator that SS has.

I requested a statement, and I got the usual three page statement with NO calculations. It said because I was a Medicare recipient they could/would not calculate benefits.

Now I had not planned on taking SS till 70 or maybe 66 when I am fully eligible, but does anyone know why you can not get a statement if you are on Medicare?
They won't give you a statement if you are receiving any benefit-SS or Medicare. I don't why, but that is the way it is.

Ha

I emailed SS and got this reply.

"We would not be able to give an instant estimate, it would have to be figured manually."

It appears their system says that if you receive Medicare, you must be receiving SS also, so you don't need to know. I pointed out that folks born in 1943 turn 65 this year. Most will apply for Medicare and most are not eligible for full SS till next year. They also encourage i.e. 8% premium, you to retire at 70. Yet they can not or will not give you an automated statement between 65 and 70.

They won't give you a statement if you are receiving any benefit-SS or Medicare. I don't why, but that is the way it is.

Ha

Or if you ever received benefits in the past even if you are not currently collecting. When I asked SS what could be done they said "call your Congressman".

Back
Top Bottom