Join Early Retirement Today

Staying in a motel ... no really - staying!
Old 09-11-2007, 11:09 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Staying in a motel ... no really - staying!

I think there was an earlier discussion on the merits of living aboard a cruise ship, but these folks have less need for travel:
The couple who stopped off at a Travelodge - and stayed 22 years | the Daily Mail

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2007, 12:18 PM   #2
Dryer sheet wannabe

Ha ha, I read this today too!! Very funny!!

I couldn't describe a view over a parking lot as very stimulating, but I guess everyone's different!

Old 09-12-2007, 04:03 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Maybe you've got to be British to understand!

The article notes that it's a viable alternative to a rest home. But in actuality, what are they getting? Just housekeeping services. It doesn't offer recreational activities (other than a TV and the fun of watching the going-ons of the parking lot). Seems like it would still be cheaper to live in their own place and hire a housekeeper (even if then they wouldn't get "free" bars of soap!).
Old 09-12-2007, 05:40 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
It doesn't offer recreational activities (other than a TV and the fun of watching the going-ons of the parking lot)
You've OBVIOUSLY never watched the going-ons in the parking lot of a motel!

Old 09-13-2007, 03:56 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyerishgold View Post
You've OBVIOUSLY never watched the going-ons in the parking lot of a motel!

Now you have me intrigued! And you're right---it's been ages since I stayed in motels. Care to give some examples?
Old 09-14-2007, 09:01 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

In our neck of the woods, some motels indeed have long term guests. In fact we've got a few places whose repute is that they rent "by the hour or month, but nothing in between". Many of the long term folks are low income families who lack the first+last deposit on an apartment...

Wouldn't be my cup of tea.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:14 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceGeek View Post
In our neck of the woods, some motels indeed have long term guests. In fact we've got a few places whose repute is that they rent "by the hour or month, but nothing in between". Many of the long term folks are low income families who lack the first+last deposit on an apartment...

Wouldn't be my cup of tea.
I read a book recently, can't recall the title, about an investigative reporter who went around living the life of a minimum wage employee with no assets. She wrote about the many who live in cheap motels, it's the only place they can afford that doesn't have a long term lease or deposit.

Just remembered the title: Nickled and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich. Good book, a bit depressing.

Amazon.com: Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America: Books: Barbara Ehrenreich
Old 09-15-2007, 12:07 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
Maybe you've got to be British to understand!

The article notes that it's a viable alternative to a rest home. But in actuality, what are they getting? Just housekeeping services. It doesn't offer recreational activities (other than a TV and the fun of watching the going-ons of the parking lot). Seems like it would still be cheaper to live in their own place and hire a housekeeper (even if then they wouldn't get "free" bars of soap!).
They don't have to pay utilities in the motel. UK rates for water and electric are very high. They don't have to pay for the annual TV license to watch that TV. They don't have to pay expensive annual council taxes (although they still own their flat so they probably do pay these). The article points out that the motel is accessible for the wife who is wheelchair bound, their own place most likely isn't.

Maybe you do have to be British or at least lived there to understand.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:41 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Many locations at least in the USA forbid stays of in excess of (say) 30 days, to discourage people living in flophouses. Of course, all the long term guest has to do is move to another room or be homeless for a night.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:10 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't know of any now but when I was a child I went to school in Cambridge Mass. and down the street from the school was a hotel, this hotel was called a residence hotel. It had quite a few older people who rented suites there, they had some nice amenities like a doorman, housekeepers, fresh linen when they wanted it, room service, someone to walk their dog when it was cold or rainy outside and the hotel dinning room if they didn't care to go out to eat, I don't know if they had kitchens in the suites then. Seemed like a ritzy staid lot to me as a child.

Now there are other types of facilities some with quite a few amenities and of course related costs. I for one am not ready for that sort of thing yet. Perhaps one day when I am writing my memoirs (as if anybody would care).

Kitty
Old 09-17-2007, 07:19 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
I don't know of any now but when I was a child I went to school in Cambridge Mass. and down the street from the school was a hotel, this hotel was called a residence hotel.
Kitty, still lots of these around. The permanent residents are mostly old men who have enough social security, or maybe a pension so that they can pay.

A little money can go a very long way at that end of society.

Ha
Old 09-20-2007, 06:29 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to jnojr Send a message via Yahoo to jnojr
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedorrero View Post
Many locations at least in the USA forbid stays of in excess of (say) 30 days, to discourage people living in flophouses.
That's also to keep them from establishing residency, and suddenly the hotel has to go through a months-long eviction process if for whatever reason they no longer desire the presence of their "guest".