Staying in a motel ... no really - staying!

Ha ha, I read this today too!! Very funny!!

I couldn't describe a view over a parking lot as very stimulating, but I guess everyone's different!

Maybe you've got to be British to understand!

The article notes that it's a viable alternative to a rest home. But in actuality, what are they getting? Just housekeeping services. It doesn't offer recreational activities (other than a TV and the fun of watching the going-ons of the parking lot). Seems like it would still be cheaper to live in their own place and hire a housekeeper (even if then they wouldn't get "free" bars of soap!).

In our neck of the woods, some motels indeed have long term guests. In fact we've got a few places whose repute is that they rent "by the hour or month, but nothing in between". Many of the long term folks are low income families who lack the first+last deposit on an apartment...

Wouldn't be my cup of tea.

In our neck of the woods, some motels indeed have long term guests. In fact we've got a few places whose repute is that they rent "by the hour or month, but nothing in between". Many of the long term folks are low income families who lack the first+last deposit on an apartment...

Wouldn't be my cup of tea.

I read a book recently, can't recall the title, about an investigative reporter who went around living the life of a minimum wage employee with no assets. She wrote about the many who live in cheap motels, it's the only place they can afford that doesn't have a long term lease or deposit.

Just remembered the title: Nickled and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich. Good book, a bit depressing.

Amazon.com: Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America: Books: Barbara Ehrenreich

Last edited:
Maybe you've got to be British to understand!

The article notes that it's a viable alternative to a rest home. But in actuality, what are they getting? Just housekeeping services. It doesn't offer recreational activities (other than a TV and the fun of watching the going-ons of the parking lot). Seems like it would still be cheaper to live in their own place and hire a housekeeper (even if then they wouldn't get "free" bars of soap!).

They don't have to pay utilities in the motel. UK rates for water and electric are very high. They don't have to pay for the annual TV license to watch that TV. They don't have to pay expensive annual council taxes (although they still own their flat so they probably do pay these). The article points out that the motel is accessible for the wife who is wheelchair bound, their own place most likely isn't.

Maybe you do have to be British or at least lived there to understand. ;)

Many locations at least in the USA forbid stays of in excess of (say) 30 days, to discourage people living in flophouses. Of course, all the long term guest has to do is move to another room or be homeless for a night.

I don't know of any now but when I was a child I went to school in Cambridge Mass. and down the street from the school was a hotel, this hotel was called a residence hotel. It had quite a few older people who rented suites there, they had some nice amenities like a doorman, housekeepers, fresh linen when they wanted it, room service, someone to walk their dog when it was cold or rainy outside and the hotel dinning room if they didn't care to go out to eat, I don't know if they had kitchens in the suites then. Seemed like a ritzy staid lot to me as a child.

Now there are other types of facilities some with quite a few amenities and of course related costs. I for one am not ready for that sort of thing yet. Perhaps one day when I am writing my memoirs (as if anybody would care).

Kitty

I don't know of any now but when I was a child I went to school in Cambridge Mass. and down the street from the school was a hotel, this hotel was called a residence hotel.

Kitty, still lots of these around. The permanent residents are mostly old men who have enough social security, or maybe a pension so that they can pay.

A little money can go a very long way at that end of society.

Ha

Many locations at least in the USA forbid stays of in excess of (say) 30 days, to discourage people living in flophouses.

That's also to keep them from establishing residency, and suddenly the hotel has to go through a months-long eviction process if for whatever reason they no longer desire the presence of their "guest".

Back
Top Bottom