Tesla Model 3

Don't the government subsidies for purchasers disappear once they reach full production capacity?

Model 3: How Ambitious Are Tesla Motors Inc.'s Production Plans? -- The Motley Fool

Based on their growth forecast, people at the end of the waiting list could be waiting well into 2019 and if they miss production ramp up 2020 for their car. For me this just doesn't make since to plunk down a $1,000 bucks!
Pretty much zero risk, it's a cheap, hipster eco-chic statement for cocktail parties for some...

Tesla said:
The cost of a reservation is approximately $1,000 USD. Please see the table below for the amount in your local currency. Note that the reservation payment is fully refundable if you cancel your reservation. If you wish, you can apply your reservation payment toward a new Model S or Model X at any time.

Once Tesla sells 200,000 cars in total across all models, the federal subsidy drops from $7,500 to $3,750, and then it begins a gradual phase out. I've seen various estimates of the number of Tesla cars sold so far, but I think it's around 80,000. And we still have at least two years to go, so I think it's conceivable that none of the Model 3's will be eligible for the full tax credit.

There still may be a partial credit, plus some state credits, but the days of getting a full $10K in federal and state subsidies in California are coming to an end.

We still have at least two years to go, so I think it's conceivable that none of the Model 3's will be eligible for the full tax credit.

Under the current law that's certainly true.

I wonder, though, what the prospects are for getting the tax credit extended.

I say that because by my count the production tax credit for wind farms has been extended seven different times. The original tax credit was intended to expire in 1999. Just last year it got extended to 2020.

Not a slam dunk, for sure. But not impossible either.

Under the current law that's certainly true.

I wonder, though, what the prospects are for getting the tax credit extended.

I say that because by my count the production tax credit for wind farms has been extended seven different times. The original tax credit was intended to expire in 1999. Just last year it got extended to 2020.

Not a slam dunk, for sure. But not impossible either.

That would be very nice if it happens. I'll keep my fingers crossed.:D

When did the EV tax credit pass? Doesn't seem likely this Congress would pass something like that.

When did the EV tax credit pass? Doesn't seem likely this Congress would pass something like that.

At first I was thinking that some companies already hit their limit, so extending it now would be kind of unfair, and make it harder to pass. But that was just the part of the law that applies to hybrids, not full EVs.

And I absolutely do not want to go political and get the thread shut down, but the reality is that the current Congress can't agree on much, so getting an extension passed does seem unlikely, but not impossible.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom