Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving isn't about shopping (except at the grocery store) so no surprise it's all Christmas stuff in the stores.

I'm excited to be going to spend T-day with my cousins and Aunt in Arizona. It's a last minute decision. As kids we often spent Thanksgiving together - but not as adults.

I'm showing up with homemade pumpkin and pecan pies, cranberry sauce, fixings for stuffing and garlic mashed potatoes. I was on the phone with my cousin as he purchased a turkey (making sure he got one that was a good size). My aunt is thrilled to not be cooking.

Thanksgiving is about good food and family - and we're getting that in large quantities this year.

Or Financial Advisors.

[emoji23]
Naaaah, the FA topic is easy. On this forum, there aren't too many supporters so it's more like an avalanche of warnings, dire predictions of doom, or at best, dismissive comments for being silly enough to use one. A squabble needs to be more balanced.

Thanksgiving isn't about shopping (except at the grocery store) so no surprise it's all Christmas stuff in the stores.

I'm excited to be going to spend T-day with my cousins and Aunt in Arizona. It's a last minute decision. As kids we often spent Thanksgiving together - but not as adults.

I'm showing up with homemade pumpkin and pecan pies, cranberry sauce, fixings for stuffing and garlic mashed potatoes. I was on the phone with my cousin as he purchased a turkey (making sure he got one that was a good size). My aunt is thrilled to not be cooking.

Thanksgiving is about good food and family - and we're getting that in large quantities this year.

Good for you. Sounds wonderful.

Thanksgiving is indeed about family. When we celebrate it in Canada we invite everybody up to our lakehouse. Huge meal, bocce on the lawn, seeing extended family, etc, This past year it was a little bittersweet as it was the first year without my FIL. Will also celebrate in Arizona with our good friends and their family.

I have noticed that Americans celebrate thanksgiving a little more than Canadians. It would be rare for Canadians to travel long distances to be with family on thanksgiving. It would be more common at Christmas. While I think this might be reversed in US?

Anyway, I figure any reason for a get together is a good reason.

A belated happy Thanksgiving to you.
Is Canadian Thanksgiving traditionally a Turkey dinner or do you have a different typical tradition up there.

Turkey is typical.

Cousin has a big bash on the day after Thanksgiving with potluck dinner (non-turkey is encouraged but not mandatory). His side of the family play bluegrass, so we get to do some stompin' too! Always a grand time.

Beats the heck out of shopping.

Day after shopping has never been my thing. Will hold a K9 scent tracking class for those who are ready to push away from the table and perhaps get some fresh air.
Thanksgiving day, having some friends over, all the usual food plus homemade pies, pecan, pumpkin and sweet potato.

Cousin has a big bash on the day after Thanksgiving with potluck dinner (non-turkey is encouraged but not mandatory). His side of the family play bluegrass, so we get to do some stompin' too! Always a grand time.

Beats the heck out of shopping.

We may need video of that!!

No doubt. There have been countless articles that illustrate the reason stores do this is, well...because people BUY IT. There isn't too much demand for T-giving stuff, but there is a LOT of demand for Christmas stuff...and the earlier it's available the better "deal" the buyers perceive.

People have been buying for Christmas for a while. I noticed that the UPS "golf carts" started their rounds a full two weeks ago...last year, I didn't notice them until a day or two before Thanksgiving.

Today I received this nice Poinsettia from my Financial Adviser;

37682240395_1f03bbcae0_o.jpg

Really put a smile on my face and made my day a little better - :)

Happy Thanksgiving y'all!

Today I received this nice Poinsettia from my Financial Adviser;

37682240395_1f03bbcae0_o.jpg

Really put a smile on my face and made my day a little better - :)

Happy Thanksgiving y'all!

Happy Thanksgiving, Robbie! I'm sure you will be enjoying a delicious feast with your betrothed. Have fun!

Thanks!

The "Sushi Thanksgiving" of 2017 is a go. I'm bringing Saki, Sapporo and Edamame - :)

Well, our plans just changed.

My sister called and is in the ER with her husband. He had a high fever and confusion and when they went to an urgent care center they called an ambulance to take him to the ER. Long story, but he's had few procedures in the past 2 months. Now he has an infection.

My sister called to tell us they aren't coming tomorrow, she was worried about spoiling our plans. At this point I don't care about dinner tomorrow, I'm just worried about them. He's been through a lot recently. They travel a lot and already had to cancel a trip last month. Their next trip is to Australia for New Years and then two consecutive cruises - Australia, Fiji, Tonga, New Zealand, etc. Five weeks total.

We have far too much food for just 4 of us. If it works out I'll see if I can take some food to her tomorrow evening or Friday.

Well, our plans just changed.

My sister called and is in the ER with her husband. He had a high fever and confusion and when they went to an urgent care center they called an ambulance to take him to the ER. Long story, but he's had few procedures in the past 2 months. Now he has an infection.

My sister called to tell us they aren't coming tomorrow, she was worried about spoiling our plans. At this point I don't care about dinner tomorrow, I'm just worried about them. He's been through a lot recently. They travel a lot and already had to cancel a trip last month. Their next trip is to Australia for New Years and then two consecutive cruises - Australia, Fiji, Tonga, New Zealand, etc. Five weeks total.

We have far too much food for just 4 of us. If it works out I'll see if I can take some food to her tomorrow evening or Friday.

Hope he will be ok. Infectious can get really serious so glad he is getting good care.

My Thanksgiving Just Exploded

From 7 to 16 and if they're starting to arrive now. Thankfully I've got old bread in the freezer, cream, and eggs. Add an apple and its bread pudding. So that rounds out the desserts, just needed one more. You know there's always potatoes in the cupboard other vegetables somewhere (cupboard or fridge).

Why last minute?

Sue, I hope your BIL is fine. This year I bought the turkey and whole meal cooked. If it is good this will be my new tradition. I just have to heat everything up.

Thanks for the thoughts. I talked to my sister this morning. He still has the IV and a drain but he is doing much better and feeling more like himself. She expects that he will be coming home tomorrow.

She cancelled the 5 week trip to Australia with the cruises. She said the travel insurance will cover the cruises. For the flights (and she had recently changed them to First Class) she should be able to get a refund with a note from the doctor.

Since their winter months are now open she booked a cruise in Feb. from Ft. Lauderdale to San Diego that goes through the Panama Canal. They had done a Panama Canal cruise a few years ago. That one went as far as the lake and then returned.

Yeah, they like their travel! I just hope that he recovers completely and that they both stay well.

Our dinner yesterday turned out great. We just had much too much food. It was an 18lb turkey and I didn't even touch one whole side! One of our sons took home many containers of leftovers. Today I will tackle vacuum packing some turkey, while leaving enough for a few sandwiches.

The meal we bought was surprisingly good and the turkey was very moist. So for 50 bucks I am off the hook for cooking. No dirty pans to scrub either. Glad to hear your BIL is doing better.

Back
Top Bottom