The Announcement Came Out Today

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Today is a milestone for me. I'm not retiring, but I've been working on a phase out to start working part time. Well, the announcement came out today. Effective at the end of the month, I will be working 3 days per week. It's not as big a step as fully retiring is, but for me, it's pretty close. It was odd to read an e-mail that said all the people that report to me (6 directs and 30+ overall) will soon report to someone else and I will be on project work.

Of course I look forward to it (working only 3 days) and I am hopeful that the "free time" will help me clear my head and figure out what the next phase of my life will be. One of the reasons I haven't retired is because I'm not sure what I'm retiring to versus retiring from. We close on our new house next week and are working on the remodel, downsizing and selling our current house so the next several months are pretty much booked, but I'm optimistic that by fall, the new life will start to reveal itself to me.

I appreciate the input and wisdom on this board for getting me this far. Y'all have been very helpful in helping me understand some financial issues related to retirement and some life issues as well.

Hopefully, 3 days/week is Tuesday thru Thursday as 4 day weekends would be a nice arrangement.

Congrats on the shift and starting the transition to retirement. That 3 days/week is close to what I may end up doing also. I will either go P/T or fully retire in June, should find out better details within the next month. I am on the fence if I want to just retire or consider the P/T transition, I have no problem with what to retire to and have many things planned. For me the question is one of cost for med ins, it is approx $800/mo difference between staying P/T and buying it through my old employer retiree program. That is not an inconsiderable amount.

From someone who has worked a four day week with Monday's off for a few years now I must say welcome to the phased-in retirement club. It's a wonderful way to transition. Best of both worlds really. 6 more months and I'll cut down to ONE day per week at home.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Hopefully, 3 days/week is Tuesday thru Thursday as 4 day weekends would be a nice arrangement.

Monday through Wednesday. Thought about Tuesday through Thursday, but if a holiday falls on a declared day, you get the holiday off paid. There are more Monday holidays this year so I went with that. Plus, my wife is working part time (2 days a week), Monday is one of the days she's working so it just seemed best. No way I wasn't going to string them together and get the four days off. That's the main benefit. Time to gather myself and plan my next life while still earning some money.

Congrats. I made the move to 3 days/week when my older son was born. For me it was the perfect compromise... Allowed me to earn income and keep my professional skills current, but not be overwhelmed with juggling parenthood and career. Later it got upped to 4 days when I transferred positions... and I kept that till I retired.

3 days/week was much better than 4 days a week. :)

Jerry1, Just make sure you remember you aren't the boss any more. We had a man at our company that worked the same deal as you. He's no longer with us because he kept interfering with the new boss's plans and assignments. He was tired of being the boss but couldn't seem to stop being the boss. Some of that was his fault and some of it was caused by employees going behind the new boss's back because they didn't like their new assignments.

Jerry1, Just make sure you remember you aren't the boss any more. We had a man at our company that worked the same deal as you. He's no longer with us because he kept interfering with the new boss's plans and assignments. He was tired of being the boss but couldn't seem to stop being the boss. Some of that was his fault and some of it was caused by employees going behind the new boss's back because they didn't like their new assignments.

Thanks for the advice. It's very relevant to my situation. I was thinking of trying to shift to more of a mode where I would discuss/counsel/mentor but make it clear that I cannot be the final decision any longer. The problem is that there is a vacuum because instead of replacing me (as was the original plan), the budget got in the way and they're just going to have everyone report to the person one level above me. I don't see it working, but I think your advice is right on. I'll keep telling myself, I'm no longer the boss. I think it will sink in for me and them quickly and maybe they'll revisit the budget.

Funny thing about mega corp. There's always money for some things but not for others and the distribution of that money seems to perplex many. But since "I'm not the boss", that will not be something I need to involve myself with going forward :dance:

As long as it is 3 consecutive days it really does not matter what days he works... he would have a 4 day weekend...

Now, if he does like my sister.... she worked 3 days but could work any 3... so sometimes she worked Wed to Fri one week, Mon to Wed the next... and then had 6 days off until her next Wed to Fri....

Back
Top Bottom