The check was in the mail!

ER Fireball

Recycles dryer sheets
I guess it is now official! MegaCorp sent me my first retirement check. Actually, it was direct deposited and they sent me the stub. I am not sure that I am retired, because it seems I still have a couple jobs.

About a year ago I was offered a position teaching at the University where I went to college. Full time, seniors, no weeder courses. Teaching based on my work experience. 9 month position, 3 year contract, non-tenure.

I had been planning to retire, perhaps Fall of 2013, probably Fall of 2014, no later than Fall of 2015. Financial house was in order, pension, retirement health care, no significant debt. I had bought some farm land to occupy my time (probably should be considered 40% full time job, based on acres).

The job offer came through, and within a couple months I had retired (actually working both jobs to transition from MegaCorp), found an apartment to stay in during the week, harvested a crop, was teaching a couple courses, and advising a couple groups. Somehow ended up with 3 jobs out of the deal!

I had enough vacation banked up to delay the actual retirement date, but my last actual day in the office was in October. It has been a frantic and tough nine months to transition!

So what else happened? My blood pressure is down, dropped one of the medications I had been taking. My skin (which had been deteriorating over the years, eczema and psoriasis which started within a year of working for MegaCorp) has almost completely cleared up. And I have lost 20 pounds! (Still need to lose about 10 more.)

The neat thing about the new job is that I simply love it! The flexibility is good, I have a door on an office (as opposed to the cubeville bull pen at Dilbert-Land), I am outside of most of the politics, not concerned about climbing the ladder, the students (most of them) are great to work with, and I feel like I am accomplishing something. Some of the profs are 15 years older than myself, and I could see being there for ten years or more.

Not sure if this qualifies as retired, but I don’t care! My retirement plan took a hard right turn, we hung on through the corners, and are now rocketing in a totally new direction! One of the things I tell my students- “Don’t spend so much time planning that you forget to actually do something. Planning is important, but it is more important to execute correctly and react accordingly when the plan gets disrupted.”

Sounds like you retired "to" something as well as "from" something - if it works for you, more power to you!

Back
Top Bottom