Join Early Retirement Today
The check was in the mail!
Old 06-10-2014, 12:20 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
The check was in the mail!

I guess it is now official! MegaCorp sent me my first retirement check. Actually, it was direct deposited and they sent me the stub. I am not sure that I am retired, because it seems I still have a couple jobs.

About a year ago I was offered a position teaching at the University where I went to college. Full time, seniors, no weeder courses. Teaching based on my work experience. 9 month position, 3 year contract, non-tenure.

I had been planning to retire, perhaps Fall of 2013, probably Fall of 2014, no later than Fall of 2015. Financial house was in order, pension, retirement health care, no significant debt. I had bought some farm land to occupy my time (probably should be considered 40% full time job, based on acres).

The job offer came through, and within a couple months I had retired (actually working both jobs to transition from MegaCorp), found an apartment to stay in during the week, harvested a crop, was teaching a couple courses, and advising a couple groups. Somehow ended up with 3 jobs out of the deal!

I had enough vacation banked up to delay the actual retirement date, but my last actual day in the office was in October. It has been a frantic and tough nine months to transition!

So what else happened? My blood pressure is down, dropped one of the medications I had been taking. My skin (which had been deteriorating over the years, eczema and psoriasis which started within a year of working for MegaCorp) has almost completely cleared up. And I have lost 20 pounds! (Still need to lose about 10 more.)

The neat thing about the new job is that I simply love it! The flexibility is good, I have a door on an office (as opposed to the cubeville bull pen at Dilbert-Land), I am outside of most of the politics, not concerned about climbing the ladder, the students (most of them) are great to work with, and I feel like I am accomplishing something. Some of the profs are 15 years older than myself, and I could see being there for ten years or more.

Not sure if this qualifies as retired, but I don’t care! My retirement plan took a hard right turn, we hung on through the corners, and are now rocketing in a totally new direction! One of the things I tell my students- “Don’t spend so much time planning that you forget to actually do something. Planning is important, but it is more important to execute correctly and react accordingly when the plan gets disrupted.”

ER Fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sent from somewhere in the world with whatever device I can get my hands on.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
Sounds like you retired "to" something as well as "from" something - if it works for you, more power to you!
"One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute." William Feather
ER'd Oct. 2010 at 53. Life is good.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:38 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The teacher is learning as much as the students. Good deal.
"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do" --Bob Dylan.
heeyy_joe is offline   Reply With Quote