Too poor to retire; too young to die

Well to play devils advocate you could say your friend learned his approach worked. He had a $150,000 windfall; and, so figures it will somehow work out just fine again.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

as my now deceased FIL used to say when pressed on similar issues: "someone will take care of me" :facepalm:

Well to play devils advocate you could say your friend learned his approach worked. He had a $150,000 windfall; and, so figures it will somehow work out just fine again.

I expect that's exactly how he thinks.

Obviously, I understand it's his money and he can do what he wants with it. But, I did think that being broke for so long might finally be enough of a wake up call to prompt him to exercise a little bit of caution to prevent a future occurrence.

LARS;1691335) EDIT: And for those that are interested in spending more than $21 per meal may I suggest the following list compiled by the French of the world's top 1 said:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/12/dining/la-liste-france-worlds-50-best-restaurants.html?_r=1[/url]

I'm with you on this. $21? Well maybe for one with no alcohol. But that would never be me. Lunch for 2 in Scottsdale with wine/beer generally runs about $100, generous tip included. This is not representative I know, but then neither am I. I say "To each their own (as long as they can afford it)".

Last edited:
Be careful what you wish for...

You wouldn't want to be a drag on the state...

as my now deceased FIL used to say when pressed on similar issues: "someone will take care of me" :facepalm:

Blanche DuBois: "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers." :)

Quality of food is importance but ambiance is as well since it helps us relax (along with the wine) and enjoy each others' company more during the meal.

+1.

The ambiance is as important to us as the food.

Last edited:
+1.

The ambiance is as important to us as the food.
Agreed. I find the decor at Hardees to be too utilitarian and industrial--it fairly screams "proletariat". But, the new Taco Bell locations have a hip feel and reserved appointments that soothe while they subtly excite--I know I've arrived as I dine there and allow it all to wash over me. The smart (saucy?) and ironic musings printed on the salsa packets aren't fully appreciated by the hoi polloi, but they speak to my very soul.

A woody Merlot goes well with the Dorito Taco.

Last edited:
Agreed. I find the decor at Hardees to be too utilitarian and industrial, while the new Taco Bell locations have a hip feel and reserved appointments that soothe while they subtly excite--I know I've arrived as I dine there and allow it all to wash over me. The smart (saucy?) and ironic musings printed on the salsa packets aren't fully appreciated by the hoi polloi, but they speak to my very soul.

:2funny::2funny:

Agreed. I find the decor at Hardees to be too utilitarian and industrial--it fairly screams "proletariat". But, the new Taco Bell locations have a hip feel and reserved appointments that soothe while they subtly excite--I know I've arrived as I dine there and allow it all to wash over me. The smart (saucy?) and ironic musings printed on the salsa packets aren't fully appreciated by the hoi polloi, but they speak to my very soul.

And despite the fact that Taco Hell quit putting the FIRE sauce out with the other sauces, you can still get it if you ask for it. I think they're trying to keep FIRE secret.

Many years ago I sent in a suggestion to McDonald's hoping that they would start selling Michelob. I personally hate the stuff, but thought the concept of ordering a McMick would work out well. I suspect they're waiting for enough time to pass that they don't have to pay me for the idea before they implement it.

DW and I find that if we set our smartphones on the table and open our votive candle apps, it sets a very understated yet elegant ambiance that goes well with a taco dinner just about anywhere!

Oh, thank you! :D :LOL:

I enjoyed this as I dined this evening (in the ambiance cast by the light of my laptop) on "Fish Fillet Garnished with Just a Touch of the Finest Feline Fur Found Anywhere" (anywhere in Chateau de Moi, that is). :cool:

Something I noticed but forgot to comment on.

The woman has a class C motorhome, and the refrigerator commonly put into these models is a 6-cf unit, which is what we have in our class C. See photo below. It is indeed small compared to a residential fridge, but we have no problem storing food during our RV trek. And that's for 2 people.

It is true that we cannot keep a big jar of mayo like we have at home, and the ketchup bottle has to be small. But we never have to get them at convenience stores. Normal grocery stores carry them.

What are they talking about?

RM2862.jpg.thumb_popupprod_info_380x333_d84157d35b429dc1c00cfcafac997a44.jpg

In Europe, that would be considered a large refrigerator. In my childhood home, the fridge was half that size.

I believe there is a place in Southern California called Slab City that has a lot of these types of people. There's been several news articles over the years about the plight of those living at Slab City. This latest article is another reminder of the importance of planning for retirement.

Slab City is right by the Salton Sea in CA. It is a desolate area that is hotter than hell in summer. Mostly a winter getaway, it is free camping, but without any utility services. It has a lot of alternative lifestyle folks, or those that want to get out of civilization. It is not exactly a tourist destination.

There are folks who's strategy is to just spend what little they have and then go on welfare when it's gone. Our state provides a $50K equivalent income.

My niece's plan is to marry rich but I don't see that happening for her.

Her fall-back is to watch TV until DW and I go and leave her a bundle...but we may, errrrr....adjust that expectation soon. The wheels are starting to wear out on that gravy train.

Then there are people who just somehow manage to stumble through life from one "someone taking care of me" to another.

Lunch for 2 in Scottsdale with wine/beer generally runs about $100, generous tip included.
Breakfast with our ROMEO walking group averages $100 each with generous tip 3x a week. No Alcohol. Usually coffee or juice. (That is MXN!) Eggs benedict would be slightly higher.

Breakfast with our ROMEO walking group averages $100 each with generous tip 3x a week. No Alcohol. Usually coffee or juice. (That is MXN!) Eggs benedict would be slightly higher.

That seems pretty expensive. What is ROMEO? Where, PV? Dollars or Pesos?

My niece's plan is to marry rich but I don't see that happening for her.
That's a plan highly dependent on "talent" and luck. Like a lot of kids in high school who are going to be professional athletes, singers, musicians, rap artists (as distinct from musicians), etc. I guess they really believe it, which would be okay if they also built a backup plan that involves going to school, learning a trade, etc.

Breakfast with our ROMEO group daily averages about $4 per person at the local Burger king. No need to tip anybody, no need to actually buy more than a senior coffee @ $0.54. The owner of the BK is in the group also.

Slab City is right by the Salton Sea in CA. It is a desolate area that is hotter than hell in summer. Mostly a winter getaway, it is free camping, but without any utility services. It has a lot of alternative lifestyle folks, or those that want to get out of civilization. It is not exactly a tourist destination.

LOL, I sent our British friends who were touring the USA in a campervan there as tourists. They thought it was fantastic, especially Salvation Mountain.

how on earth do you spend $100 without any alcohol?

Confused? :confused:
The $ sign is used in Mexico for the Peso.
100 Mexican Pesos ~ $5.45 US.

how on earth do you spend $100 without any alcohol?

You could make the waitress's day and leave a big tip.:LOL:

Seriously, I don't think I've ever been in a place where one could spend $100 on breakfast. They probably wouldn't let me in anyway.

Back
Top Bottom