Vacation to Florida..I Need Ideas...Places/Things?

I agree real estate is expensive here.  The main reason, is it is close to Tampa and the county is pretty much built out.  All of this means it probably won't get any more congested and your close to everything, making it a great place to retire if your from a city.  Me, I'm a countryboy and will be vacating this area within the next couple of months for pastures.  Hey if your interested my house will be for sale real soon and I'll make you a great deal. :D

Sanibel/Captiva is wonderful.

One of the BEST vacations I ever had was when we went to the Colgate School of sailing on Captiva island to get our keelboat sailing certification. You stay at a resort there.

It was a BLAST. Sailing racing sailboats in 20 knot winds no less!!

Bald eagles hang out on the golf course. Ospreys everywhere.

The beaches are amazing - inches thick with shells.

We also visited the Ding Darling NWR. One of our all time favs.

Audrey

audreyh1 said:
Sanibel/Captiva is wonderful.
One of the BEST vacations I ever had was when we went to the Colgate School of sailing on Captiva island to get our keelboat sailing certification. You stay at a resort there.
Are they already open?
I heard South Seas Resort have been wiped out by the hurrricane last year.
BTW: It was the most expensive marina I ever docked at. But DW liked it.

South Seas on Captiva is supposed to open this week.  It sustained a lot of hurricane damage but has been renovated and is supposed to be much better than before because of all of the upgrades, etc. 

We heard about the opening last week while on Captiva..

Eating spots:

St. Petersburg:

Burger Joint/Sports Bar: El Cap
Smoked Fish: Ted Peter's Smoked Fish
Upscale Fish Joint: Bonefish Grill ( the one on 4th street)

Tampa:

Cuban Food: La Terisita (cheap, lots of food, and good)
Steak House: Bern's (a landmark, the kitchen tour is interesting) or Charley's (both are pricey)

Tarpon Springs:

Great Greek Food: Hella's (Everybody say: OPA! Make sure to visit the adjoining bakery)

Hudson (north of Tarpon Springs)

Quirky, unique french Restaurant: Ile De France (Great tableside flambe, also, you have to love a place where the owner and the cook come out and sing)

Land O Lakes:

Italian: Benedetto's

sailor said:
Are they already open?
I heard South Seas Resort have been wiped out by the hurrricane last year.
BTW: It was the most expensive marina I ever docked at. But DW liked it.
We got our sailing certification in December 1997! I forgot about that nasty hurricane in 2004. Glad to hear they have finally opened.

I bet it's an expensive Marina! We enjoyed watching the rich folks lounging on their fancy yachts with drinks in their hands. The yachts were all decorated in Xmas lights - very pretty.

Manatees hung around the marina too. They come in for the fresh water.

Further down in Captiva we saw a policeman stopped with lights flashing. Two teenagers trying to carry a full-grown alligator across the road - WHAT?!? :eek: :eek:

Audrey

audreyh1 said:
Two teenagers trying to carry a full-grown alligator across the road - WHAT?!?
Probably to get it to the other side...

Back
Top Bottom