Venice Florida

Are there any trailer parks in Venice area. We were thinking about renting a furnished trailer for a few months while we are looking for a home.

Are there any trailer parks in Venice area. We were thinking about renting a furnished trailer for a few months while we are looking for a home.

There are but there are also lots of furnished rentals . If you want to save money I'd go between April and Dec .. Plus you'll get to see what the summer is like .

There are but there are also lots of furnished rentals . If you want to save money I'd go between April and Dec .. Plus you'll get to see what the summer is like .
If everything works out, I sell my home and quit my job, we will be going after Oct 1. I'll have to do some searches for rentals.

There are several trailer parks in the area. A couple are even on the water. There are plenty of rentals even in the winter season from January-May. I highly recommend renting first because there are plenty of areas to check out.

I had dinner at the Crow's Nest last night. It is my favorite restaurant in the Venice area. Try the pub steak downstairs.

I am not sure what the connection is with Venice (any Venice). The lyrics are,

I saw the harbor lights
They only told me we were parting...

No harbor specified, in the lyrics anyway.

I didn't even know about that song. I was talking about Boz Scagg's song. I just downloaded the lyrics and discovered that what I thought must be a misprounounciation of "venice" was, in fact, "Venus" - at least according to whoever transcribed the lyrics:
Son of a Tokyo Rose
I was bound to wander from home
Stranger to whatever I'd awaken to
Spun the wheel, took a shot in the dark
One way ticket and a runaway heart
A sailor's dream came true the night I dreamed you

Through the neon doorways
Down the stony streets I fell
All hands high side, all eyes erect, I follow
Sailing shadows, reds and blues
Curtains drawn but I saw through
The window to your soul, and I found you

Whoa, the harbor lights of Venus
Shining through the breeze
That brings me back to you my love
To you my love, to you my love

So, either there is a town named Venus or he is looking at Venus in the evening sky (I think he is a west coast guy so he wouldn't be looking at it in the morning). I liked the imagery of a Venetian harbor. So I thought maybe Venice, CA was the place - except for the no harbor part. Florida sounded like a possible option since I have never been there to see if it has a harbor. Now I need a harbor town called Venus or I'm stuck with a pretty ethereal planet.

Edit: Now that I actually have read the lyrics (never did before - I just liked the harbor lights refrain) of course he is talking about the planet. The whole deal is a dream - probably soon after he falls asleep on whatever ship he has sailed off on.

Sorry for the massive digression.

WooHoo! Booked tickets for a flight to Tampa Florida 4-5 to 4-12 - turns out that's the cheap airport to fly into from PDX. Cheaper for us to fly roundtrip PDX to TPA that it is for us to fly down to Palm Springs and back - $369rt vs. $510rt for her latest flight. Granted that's on Delta vs. Alaska, so maybe the wheels will fall off, but it's an adventure. The really cool thing is that it just started snowing here!

Tampa is about 76 miles north of Venice - we'll drive down there and walk on the beach and hunt shark's teeth and look at houses. If it's warm enough i'm looking forward to dunking these bones in the gulf!

WooHoo! Booked tickets for a flight to Tampa Florida 4-5 to 4-12 - turns out that's the cheap airport to fly into from PDX. Cheaper for us to fly roundtrip PDX to TPA that it is for us to fly down to Palm Springs and back - $369rt vs. $510rt for her latest flight. Granted that's on Delta vs. Alaska, so maybe the wheels will fall off, but it's an adventure. The really cool thing is that it just started snowing here!

Tampa is about 76 miles north of Venice - we'll drive down there and walk on the beach and hunt shark's teeth and look at houses. If it's warm enough i'm looking forward to dunking these bones in the gulf!
Let me know what you think of Venice.

It's in the low 80's now and just beautiful. Make sure to visit downtown Venice and Casperon Beach ( it's a beach that was left totally natural ) . If you venture beyond Venice ,Sarasota also has a nice downtown(Lots of small restaurants and art galleries ) and then there is St. Armand's circle ( high end shopping and several restaurants ). If you decide to go to Sarasota from Venice drive on route 41 slow going but the drive past the marina as you enter Sarasota is worth it. Beautiful views and some real interesting art work. One last suggestion if you get a chance drive thru Casey Key . You go to Nokomis beach and take a right . It has some gorgeous homes with the ocean on one side and the bay on the other . Home to Stephen King among others .

moemg, years ago rumor had it that lucille ball kept a home on bird key.

looks like king has two houses on casey. one he paid 8.9mm right on the gulf, nice property now taxed at 12.9mm. looks like it extends quite a bit north of the house where he has a bunch of dirt trails for off-roading. sweet. his other house is just a $1.6mm little thing down the block; must be the guest house or something for the kids.

i wonder if his novels ever considered some odd stranger on some strange forum looking into his backyard by satellite. (you wanna know the color of his cars or jet skis?) talk about scary!

calmloki, enjoy your trip. you can get water temps here: Tides Online

moemg, years ago rumor had it that lucille ball kept a home on bird key.

looks like king has two houses on casey. one he paid 8.9mm right on the gulf, nice property now taxed at 12.9mm. looks like it extends quite a bit north of the house where he has a bunch of dirt trails for off-roading. sweet. his other house is just a $1.6mm little thing down the block; must be the guest house or something for the kids.

i wonder if his novels ever considered some odd stranger on some strange forum looking into his backyard by satellite. (you wanna know the color of his cars or jet skis?) talk about scary!

His last book Duma Key was about that area in fact they are now featuring tours of the places he mentioned in the book .He was at a book signing last week in Sarasota .

Haven't had time to read this entire thread, so if this has been said please forgive me. From reading about Sarasota on city-data.com, I have gleaned that Venice has little there and rolls up the sidewalk very early. In short, nothing to do there after the sun goes down...if that is your thing. Hope this helps.

Haven't had time to read this entire thread, so if this has been said please forgive me. From reading about Sarasota on city-data.com, I have gleaned that Venice has little there and rolls up the sidewalk very early. In short, nothing to do there after the sun goes down...if that is your thing. Hope this helps.
Sounds perfect for me. My party days ended in the late 70s. Now I'm more of a morning person.

Is Venice a party town 24 hours a day..No, but are there a lot of things to do in Venice after the sun goes down..Yes.
Sarasota and Venice compliment each other very well and they are only a few miles apart.

Thanks to Moemg and LGFNB and all others - snow flakes again this morning - nothing sticking, but still. The camera from the Crow's Nest is showing a bunch of people in T-shirts and shorts so we are looking forward to it.
Anyone know what a pack of smokes goes for down there? my honey is a puffer and would like to know if she should pack some of her internet purchase stash or not. I'm claiming they are a quarter /pack based on proximity to the growing regions. Ok - she says Or tax/pack is $1.18/pack and Fla tx is $.34. If she smokes really, really heavily in Florida just think of the money we can save! (that's an ex-smoker talking).

Grateful for all suggestions for places and things to see. No one thinks the Weeki Wachee mermaids are a national treasure equivalent to the Grand Canyon?

Other than sit down fish restaurants - local delicacies - R.C. cola? Moonpies? sweet tea? I'm a diners and dives kinda guy.

fifteen years ago when i was even dumber than i am now, i used to buy my cigarettes from the seminoles in south florida. they have land up by tampa as well so you might find cheap smokes there.

Seminole Tribe of Florida: Tribal Enterprises - Tampa Reservation

as for noncancerous things to do:

Welcome to Yoder's Amish Restaurant of Sarasota, Florida!

The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art-Sarasota-Bradenton-Tampa-Florida

Marie Selby Botanical Gardens

looking at a map of area, i'm not sure but it might be just a few extra miles and maybe an extra 20 minutes or so to head to st. pete from tampa airport and then to sarasota rather than going around tampa to the east to get to i-75. anyone correct me please if i am wrong.

if that is the case i recommend taking the scenic route i've described. very nice. you'll love it.

ps. since you will be in venice anyway, if you have the time, you might also consider another 45 minute drive south to port charlotte and punta gorda, ground zero for bubble deflation.

Last edited:
Cool - Lazy, is the route you describe one that Moemg described part of?

"If you decide to go to Sarasota from Venice drive on route 41 slow going but the drive past the marina as you enter Sarasota is worth it. Beautiful views and some real interesting art work. One last suggestion if you get a chance drive thru Casey Key".

Liking the entertainment suggestions!

Pretty sure that i visited my maternal grandparents in St Petersburg or St Augustine - i keep remembering some old old fort that is made of concretions, but also remember white sand and flat water - not very oceanlike by NW pacific standards. that was back in '59, so sitting and smoking a pipe with my Grandfather (his with tobacco, mine without) and getting ice cream factor largest in my memories.

just reviewed quickly calm, don't think so. moemg describes driving through some keys or cays around venice area as well as the ride from venice to st. armands circle on longboat key. i'm talking about your drive down from the airport to venice.

tampa airport sits on the top of tampa bay so you can either go around it to the east or over it to the west. this one part is a little confusing to describe as you will take i-275 from the airport. it either goes north (or east) towards i-4 & then i-4 east (actually northeast) to i-75 south or you can go west (or south) on i-275 which is the more scenic route. hope that is not too confusing. i'm not sure but i think i-275 is labeled south although it really goes west at first. and i think it is labeled north though it really goes east at first or something like that. confused yet? check out google and you'll see what i mean.

in any case, just get out of the airport and take i-275 toward st petersburg and not towards orlando. it will take you over tampa bay instead of around it. you go through st. pete and then over the bay again onto the very beautiful skyway bridge. then it will put you onto i-75 south to venice. assuming you drive during the day, before you go onto the skyway bridge you'll see a turnoff for a public park and really long pier, the remains of the previous bridge where you can park 1/3rd the way into the bay.

the fort you are remembering sounds like st. augustine which claims to be the oldest city in the country. the water off both florida coasts are pretty flat as the atlantic shelf extends quite a bit offshore. but don't let it fool you. just like the great lakes, shallow water can get pretty mean in a storm.

We are on our second week of vacation in Englewood Fl which is about 10 miles from Venice. The fishing here is fantastic, the sunsets terrific, and the town has good outdoor activities and plently of resturants. If you like golf there are plently of opportunities also. We will be back for at least two more weeks this fall. I could definitely live here and the curent housing market is definitely a buyers market if you can get insurance.

On a fishing trip last week in the bay I caught over 40 fish in two hours! The sea turtles and dolphins where fun to watch also.

ER is GREAT!!!

We are on our second week of vacation in Englewood Fl which is about 10 miles from Venice. The fishing here is fantastic, the sunsets terrific, and the town has good outdoor activities and plently of resturants. If you like golf there are plently of opportunities also. We will be back for at least two more weeks this fall. I could definitely live here and the curent housing market is definitely a buyers market if you can get insurance.

On a fishing trip last week in the bay I caught over 40 fish in two hours! The sea turtles and dolphins where fun to watch also.

ER is GREAT!!!

Does Englewood have any benifits over Venice?

That is hard to answer for me. They are really two cities right beside each other and I have not spent enoght time here yet to compare and contrast them. Since Englewood is only a few miles from Venice it might be worth a look but my objective was to say that the area is very nice with lots of gated communites.

Of to the beach for now but I will try to look over the pamplets we have and compare the two cities this evening.

That is hard to answer for me. They are really two cities right beside each other and I have not spent enoght time here yet to compare and contrast them. Since Englewood is only a few miles from Venice it might be worth a look but my objective was to say that the area is very nice with lots of gated communites.

Of to the beach for now but I will try to look over the pamplets we have and compare the two cities this evening.
Thanks.

Venice has a lot more charm than Englewood and it's closer to Sarasota . Better shopping ,better restaurants , more nightlife and closer to airports and better medical facilities . You can find nice homes anywhere . They put gated communities in the boonies but you need to be sure the medical facilities have kept pace with the building boom .

Venice has a lot more charm than Englewood and it's closer to Sarasota . Better shopping ,better restaurants , more nightlife and closer to airports and better medical facilities . You can find nice homes anywhere . They put gated communities in the boonies but you need to be sure the medical facilities have kept pace with the building boom .
I don't think I would like a gated community. Which has the better beaches, parks, ambience and would make one feel at home?

Back
Top Bottom