Venice Florida

Fron June-Aug, you need to LOVE humidity, because there's plenty of it.

Also, it rains for about half a hour everyday during the summers..........do you like rain showers?

Don't forget about all the little lizards that hang around your house looking for bugs, and alligators.........:)

Summers here in Wis can be hot, upper 90s, and terribly humid so I can handle that.
I like rain showers, much better than everything drying out and burning up like Texas.
Shared a hotel room with those lizards in the Philippines. Not a problem.
Alligators? My Filipina wife wants to know if she can grill them?

Also drive slowly on back roads you don't want to hit a wild pig !
In Wisconsin thousands of deer get hit by vehicles. I think I would rather hit a pig.

You guys haven't turned me against Venice Florida yet, but keep trying.
It's nice to know what we are headed for.

The difference I noticed between midwest summers and summers in the south, besides how long they are, is that the heat and humidity last through the night. My first summer in NC I was surprised how I'd step out at 7am and get hit with a warm wet blanket of air, that I rarely got in the midwest. Not that big of a deal, really, but do expect a more extreme summer in FL.

Also drive slowly on back roads you don't want to hit a wild pig !

:D Never saw one of those when I lived down there, of course I think my 1978 Mercury Cougar would have made short work of them............:D

The difference I noticed between midwest summers and summers in the south, besides how long they are, is that the heat and humidity last through the night. My first summer in NC I was surprised how I'd step out at 7am and get hit with a warm wet blanket of air, that I rarely got in the midwest. Not that big of a deal, really, but do expect a more extreme summer in FL.
I guess I would rather have hot and humid than cold and dry. A few weeks of below zero cold can really get one down. When it really gets hot here in Wis, it seems like humidity is almost 100% too. But it does just last a couple months.

I guess I would rather have hot and humid than cold and dry. A few weeks of below zero cold can really get one down. When it really gets hot here in Wis, it seems like humidity is almost 100% too. But it does just last a couple months.

I like cold and dry, but THIS winter is ridiculous........I am old enough to remember when February it got into the 30's, March was the 40's and 50's, Arpil was the 50's and 60's, and May got into the 70's. The last few years we have had effectively no spring, where it goes from 40 to 80........which kind of stinks.........

OK, I need to set the record straight.
Lizards- love 'em. They eat spiders and roaches. A friend from Sweden calls them baby dinosaurs.
June and July- Two of my favorite months in FL. Not too hot yet and no restaurant lines.
August and September- Great months to travel but it is still cooler in FL than many areas of the US in the summer. We always have a breeze from the gulf.
Humidity-Not bad but this is from a 4th generation Floridian and I don't know any better.
Daily Summer Rain- Keeps your car clean and you can always set your watch because it rains at the same time every other day.
Razor- You will love it here. You asked about taxes. The property appraiser's site may help. Welcome to the SCPA Website They did go up for the past few years but they are now headed down. Mine went down $243 this year. Our property taxes are high compared to the midwest but low compared to the northeast. Look in to homesteading your home as soon as you can. It limits the increases to a max. of 3% (I think). They do reappraise homes when it is purchased so the current homeowner may be paying $1,800 on a homesteaded home but the new owner may have to pay $3,600. This site may help too- Sarasota County Tax Collector

OK, I need to set the record straight.

Pretty much the way I see it, but I've learned that Florida's reputation has historically been based on the WPB-to-Miami corridor. Folks' experience (based on a 2-week stay in a resort development in SE Florida) is hard to overcome. Ironically, there are plenty of great places in that corridor, not to mention a whole gigantic state to explore. Then again, a few years of population growth slow-down can't be all bad.

I like the hybrid of retirees, ethnicity, deep south, weather, swamps, live oaks, low unemployment, awesome parks, snowbirds reminding us how good we've got it. Hurricanes are our occasional curse, but mother nature will find you wherever you live.

Yesterday I took the day off and DW and I strolled the waterfront at St. Pete, had lunch and a glass of wine at a sidewalk restaurant under blue skies and 80 degrees. Went for a leisurely jog and had dinner outside on our enclosed patio. 7 months of weather like that, 2 more of similar but hotter weather, and a month or two of pretty oppressive weather which I ignore for the most part (or travel).

OP will love Venice.

Jake ,is absolutely right . We Floridians keep the fable of the awful summers going so people will leave us alone for a few months .

So, with all of the Venice knowledge resident here, maybe I can finally find out - is the song, "Harbor Lights" about Venice, CA, Venice, FL, or Venice, Italy?

Razor , Not sure if you are a wine lover but I'm going to let you in on the best deal in Florida . ABC liquors has periodic wine tastings for $10.00 for that you get to taste a lot of wines ,a souvenir glass ,food ( usually from one of the better restaurants ) and a $5.00 coupon off any wine purchased that night . It's a fun event . They have a mystery wine contest that is so much fun .

Razor , Not sure if you are a wine lover but I'm going to let you in on the best deal in Florida . ABC liquors has periodic wine tastings for $10.00 for that you get to taste a lot of wines ,a souvenir glass ,food ( usually from one of the better restaurants ) and a $5.00 coupon off any wine purchased that night . It's a fun event . They have a mystery wine contest that is so much fun .
I quit drinking beer about three years ago, but I still drink wine so that sounds just great.. I really don't know anything about wines, though.

Jake ,is absolutely right . We Floridians keep the fable of the awful summers going so people will leave us alone for a few months .

Just the opposite strategy we use in MN. Below zero year round, we live in igloos, etc, etc.

Has anyone ever retired TO Minnesota from Florida?

I know a lot of Floridians who retire to MN. every May!!!

So, with all of the Venice knowledge resident here, maybe I can finally find out - is the song, "Harbor Lights" about Venice, CA, Venice, FL, or Venice, Italy?

My Venice skills are limited to Venice, California. But I can assure you that the song is not about it, as the nearest Harbor is 30 miles away in San Pedro. :)

Ha

Originally Posted by donheff

We don't really have a harbor in Venice, FL. A bay, the gulf but no Harbor. I guess it is Venice, Italy by default.

Originally Posted by donheff

We don't really have a harbor in Venice, FL. A bay, the gulf but no Harbor. I guess it is Venice, Italy by default.

I am not sure what the connection is with Venice (any Venice). The lyrics are,

I saw the harbor lights
They only told me we were parting
The same old harbor lights that once brought you to me
I watched the harbor lights
How could I help if tears were starting
Goodbye to tender nights beside the silvry sea

I long to hold you near and kiss you just once more
But you were on the ship and I was on the shore

Now I know lonely nights
For all the while my heart is whispring
Some other harbor lights will steal your love from me

I long to hold you near and kiss you just once more
But you were on the ship and I was on the shore

Now I know lonely nights
For all the while my heart is whispring
Some other harbor lights will steal your love from me

No harbor specified, in the lyrics anyway.

here's a nice web cam of Venice: http://webcam.crowsnest-venice.com/live_view.cgi

it does want to install software so you can control the camera - looked safe enough to me - you can Google "crowsnest venice florida" and find the business and get to the camera that way. Looked a bit breezy this morning.

here's a nice web cam of Venice: http://webcam.crowsnest-venice.com/live_view.cgi

it does want to install software so you can control the camera - looked safe enough to me - you can Google "crowsnest venice florida" and find the business and get to the camera that way. Looked a bit breezy this morning.

If you get to Venice go to the Crow's Nest . It is a popular Restaurant in Venice . The downstairs is a casual bar & dining and the upstairs is a nice restaurant with a great view . Also you have to go to Sharky's for at least a drink . It's right on the beach .One of my favorites used to be Althea's before it changed hands . When we first moved to Venice in 1995 we went to Althea's and were shocked at the prices Chicken Marsala $8.95 , stuffed lobster $9.95. It was half the price we were used too and the food was great .

If you get to Venice go to the Crow's Nest . It is a popular Restaurant in Venice . The downstairs is a casual bar & dining and the upstairs is a nice restaurant with a great view . Also you have to go to Sharky's for at least a drink . It's right on the beach .One of my favorites used to be Althea's before it changed hands . When we first moved to Venice in 1995 we went to Althea's and were shocked at the prices Chicken Marsala $8.95 , stuffed lobster $9.95. It was half the price we were used too and the food was great .

Sal put the kibosh on our zipping down there on a whim for a week for this month - too sudden and unsettling - she's countered with mid April after we ship off our taxes.

Back
Top Bottom