Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Warm,Low cost of living,No/Low taxes, inexpensive golf & water sports
Old 12-09-2005, 06:58 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
It appears what is "dofficult" is spelling.............
straightwforward?* reasonabley?* conurbation?

JG
JG - Fair enough! Typed in a hurry, before heading to the office. But how do YOU spell conurbation , John??

My grammar is pretty good though...

Ceersh

enkioH* * *:P* :P

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2005, 07:00 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat

MrGalt2U.. give Honkie a break.* If posters were evaluated based on spelling some of our greatest posters would be off the board.
Ahh, I was just jerking his chain a bit. *He can take it, or if not,
he should be posting somewhere else. *

JG

Old 12-09-2005, 07:28 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
It appears what is "dofficult" is spelling.............
straightwforward?* reasonabley?* conurbation?

JG
JG - still waiting to here you version of "conurbation"................
Old 12-09-2005, 07:50 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkie
JG - still waiting to here you version of "conurbation"................
Still waiting........

There is however one safety issue related to Australia. Some Texans want to invade it!!

Just after the Iraqi invasion, an Australian TV Company went to Texas to interview people “on the streets” to learn whether the average Texan thought the US should invade somewhere else and where that should be. Overwhelmingly, the replies were “Yes” and the place should be either Iran or North Korea.* (One guy included France, but he looked a bit of a nutcase). Unfortunately, only 1 in 10 of the respondents could actually locate Iran on an unmarked map of the World. No one could locate North Korea. One guy thought Australia was North Korea and expressed surprise when he saw how North Korea was much bigger than South Korea (which he mistook for New Zealand). It was interesting to note how many of the people interviewed were clearly unfamiliar with a map of the world.

So beware, you might be sunning yourself on Bondi Beach one afternoon when a sudden amphibious assault by the Texas Rangers finds you swept off to GITMO!!!!*

Cheers and have a good weekend one and all.

Honkie
Old 12-09-2005, 08:31 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There is however one safety issue related to Australia. Some Texans want to invade it!!
Damn straight! From the day the Aussies compared Texas beer to making love in a canoe, we've been planning an attack!

Quote:
Just after the Iraqi invasion, an Australian TV Company went to Texas to interview people “on the streets” to learn whether the average Texan thought the US should invade somewhere else and where that should be.
Well there's your problem right there. No such thing as an "average" Texan. I have it on good authority that half of all Texans are above average and half are below.

Quote:
(One guy included France, but he looked a bit of a nutcase).
How could you tell?

Quote:
Unfortunately, only 1 in 10 of the respondents could actually locate Iran on an unmarked map of the World. No one could locate North Korea. One guy thought Australia was North Korea and expressed surprise when he saw how North Korea was much bigger than South Korea (which he mistook for New Zealand). It was interesting to note how many of the people interviewed were clearly unfamiliar with a map of the world.
Texans consider everyone living over the state line as "furiners". And once you get past New Mexico, Oklahoma or Louisiana, geography starts to get a little fuzzy. If you want to talk about geography outside the Yew-nited States of Merica, then you need to contact one of them Winter Texans like JG. Like most of those people, he can sure tell you where to go.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 11:15 PM   #26
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Still waiting........

Just after the Iraqi invasion, an Australian TV Company went to Texas to interview people “on the streets” to learn whether the average Texan thought the US should invade somewhere else and where that should be. Overwhelmingly, the replies were “Yes” and the place should be either Iran or North Korea.* (One guy included France, but he looked a bit of a nutcase). Unfortunately, only 1 in 10 of the respondents could actually locate Iran on an unmarked map of the World. No one could locate North Korea. One guy thought Australia was North Korea and expressed surprise when he saw how North Korea was much bigger than South Korea (which he mistook for New Zealand). It was interesting to note how many of the people interviewed were clearly unfamiliar with a map of the world.

So beware, you might be sunning yourself on Bondi Beach one afternoon when a sudden amphibious assault by the Texas Rangers finds you swept off to GITMO!!!!*

Cheers and have a good weekend one and all.

Honkie
Bondi beach is worth the risk!!!
Old 12-10-2005, 01:32 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
It is not that difficult to emigrate to Australia / New Zealand to work, even more straightforward to emigrate there to retire.
Here are details on the Australian retirement visa:

http://www.migrationexpert.com/conte...ement_visa.asp

The thing that bothers me is that this visa only lasts 4 years. Yes, it's renewable for 2 year periods thereafter, but I would always feel a bit uneasy without some longer term assurance.

Peter
Old 12-10-2005, 02:00 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter

The thing that bothers me is that this visa only lasts 4 years. Yes, it's renewable for 2 year periods thereafter, but I would always feel a bit uneasy without some longer term assurance.

Peter
Why should Aussie be any different than USA? I can get 3 yrs at a time in USA, with 2 year extensions each time for work visas. After that, I need to get annual Free Trade visas. As a Cdn snowbird, I can do 180 days a year without succumbing to US taxes.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:20 PM   #29

Quote:
You think that's bad. Read some of the requirements of a Thai visa to retire there.

Purpose of visit To stay in Thailand for a retirement purpose.(Category “O-A”)
Validity of visa The validity of visa is 3 months.
Period of stay Travelers with this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period up to 1 year.

1. Every 90 days, the alien must report to the Immigration office or the police station in the alien’s residence area.
2. At the end of the one-year stay, the alien who wishes to extend his/her stay must submit a request to the Immigration Bureau with the documented evidence of money transfer /or a deposit account in the Kingdom /or an income certificate at the amount of no less than 800,000 Baht /or an income certificate plus a deposit account at the total amount of no less than 800,000 Baht a year.

See the full requirements here

I'm not sure what you need to do after 1 year, besides depositing some money. Maybe Lance or Ben can elaborate.

MJ
Old 12-11-2005, 09:46 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieRed
Bondi beach is worth the risk!!!
Yup, your right, the Texans would probably get clubbed senseless with surf boards before they could get out of the water!!!!

Quote:

Peter
I can't think of anywhere that gives emigrees "unlimited visa" status straight of the bat. The US doesn't.

Actually OZ is quite generous in giving 4 year visas which are then renewable. Provided you haven't strayed too far from the straight and narrow, there is no reason it shouldn't be extended. I have lived overseas in various places for over 10 years and I have NEVER had a visa with a duration longer than 2 years (and they were all previously contingent on staying with the sponsoring employer, meaning that if I changed employer I had to re-apply for a new visa..

Cheers

Honkie
Old 12-11-2005, 11:09 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One of the core values of US Visas is that the emmigre is law abiding and doesn't become a public ward. No different elsewhere.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:56 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Cambodia. Plenty of Western expats (mostly Euros) that woudn't trade it for anything.

Great site here: http://www.talesofasia.com/cambodia.htm
Old 12-23-2005, 01:53 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

The Aus retirement visa requires one to be 55 years of age. The Thai one only 50 years of age.
The Thai retirement visa is valid for 1 year if one applies at Thai embassy. The extensions are also for 1 year and for a single person all that is required is $20k in a Thai bank(you don't have to spend them - can be used for next renewal too). How much is needed in Aus?

The 90 reporting is a bit of a hassle - but can now be done by mail and hopefully soon online - so not such a big thing after all. Also; if you travel a lot it counts as a "reporting" when you fill out the arrival card so only need to report if more than 3 months in Thailand with no travel.

Cheers!
Old 12-23-2005, 03:44 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Ben wrote:

>>>The Thai retirement visa is valid for 1 year if one applies at Thai embassy. The extensions are also for 1 year and for a single person all that is required is $20k in a Thai bank(you don't have to spend them - can be used for next renewal too).<<<

You may not have to spend it all, but my understanding is you do have to show the authorities that you've been using it for expenses.

You can get a marriage visa for half the necessary deposit as a retirement visa in Thailand. I should know, I was lucky enough to marry a Thai nineteen years ago.

Old 12-24-2005, 12:56 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

here's an interesting blog;

http://blogs.booklocker.com/travel/archives/000966.html

judy
Old 12-28-2005, 10:13 PM   #36
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi everyone, I registered just so I could post this and hopefully it will benefit someone.

My best friend lives in Puerto Rico and is recently retired. She gets $300 and something a month from social security, she receives food stamps and is in public housing, she's applied for medicaid or medicare (I forget which) meanwhile she pays $150 a month for Bluecross.
She is very happy.
She is single, no kids and lives alone, she has no relatives there nor does she speak spanish or care to learn it, she has no retirement savings as she claims she never thought she'd live that long!

Anyway my point is if you haven't saved your pennies it is still possible to retire somewhere cheap and warm.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:21 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattirose
Hi everyone, I registered just so I could post this and hopefully it will benefit someone.

My best friend lives in Puerto Rico and is recently retired. She gets $300 and something a month from social security, she receives food stamps and is in public housing, she's applied for medicaid or medicare (I forget which) meanwhile she pays $150 a month for Bluecross.
She is very happy.
She is single, no kids and lives alone, she has no relatives there nor does she speak spanish or care to learn it, she has no retirement savings as she claims she never thought she'd live that long!

Anyway my point is if you haven't saved your pennies it is still possible to retire somewhere cheap and warm.
Having lived in PR myself for a few years I would not call living there cheap by any means. About the only things that are less expensive than in the US would be local fruits and Rum. Virtually everything else has to be "imported" and that cost money. Also, many items also have a stiff import duty-like tax on them which increases the price even more. I would not want to try to retire there...public assistance or not.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:18 AM   #38
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben
The Aus retirement visa requires one to be 55 years of age. The Thai one only 50 years of age.
The Thai retirement visa is valid for 1 year if one applies at Thai embassy. The extensions are also for 1 year and for a single person all that is required is $20k in a Thai bank(you don't have to spend them - can be used for next renewal too). How much is needed in Aus?

The 90 reporting is a bit of a hassle - but can now be done by mail and hopefully soon online - so not such a big thing after all. Also; if you travel a lot it counts as a "reporting" when you fill out the arrival card so only need to report if more than 3 months in Thailand with no travel.

Cheers!
Old 12-30-2005, 04:26 AM   #39
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben

Cheers!

Why bother about the visa? Me and my half are both early 40's, therefore impossible to wait over 10 yrs. As long as you don't mind to go somewhere(outside Australia) for holiday every 3 months, it's no problem for everyone to get an online tourist visa which is valid for 10 yrs. It also minimise the tax problem: No tax for overseas residents in Australia.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:50 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a couple locations on my current radar. Anyone have comments or experience with any of these?

1) Ecuador - Seems cheaper than Nicaragua now and more interesting place because of the mountains as well as beaches.
2) New Zealand - Feels like paradise when I'm there. Lots of diverse things to do. Stable. Can be cheap, but real estate has gone up recently. Exchange rate with the US is too high right now, but could be a great move in 2 years or so. Long expensive flight and importing my pets would be a big problem.
3) Colorado - The front range is wonderful. I can ski on Saturday in the mountains and play golf on Sunday. The warm temps and lack of snow on the front range seems to be unknown to most people. Sun everyday.
4) New Hampshire - I heard taxes were low and it could be cheap to live there with good access to interesting stuff all around New England.
5) Northern Italy - a little out of the way of tourist areas. Real estate can be really cheap. Food quality can be excellent. Good access to interesting places in Europe and trains to incredible cities nearby in Italy.

Anybody have two places to live while FIREd? Maybe rent one out 6 months of the year? Too many good options. :