Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-07-2010, 08:46 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I get a kick out of it all unless the weather has been the same for so long as to be tedious, as the long, hot summers can become in the South, or as the long, cold winters can be up North.
Sounds like you just made a case for an RV.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2010, 08:57 PM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Sounds like you just made a case for an RV.
But then, would we Southerners be as deleriously happy with the weather in October if we hadn't just emerged from a long, hot summer? And would Northerners be as gleeful when spotting the first crocuses of springtime if they hadn't just experienced a long, cold winter?

And yes, I do get your point. I just decline to deal with a black water tank (eww!), or to drive and maintain one of those behemoths an RV, just to escape a few weeks per year of "weather tedium". Maybe for us, the solution is just a lazy trip north by car for a couple of weeks in the late summer. Or, just engaging in some activity of such interest as to distract us from the weather at that time.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:01 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I dream of the day that I wake up in the morning, look out the window, see a blizzard.....and not give a damn if it snows for 3 days. I think for that reason alone I will not move after I retire.

Well, that and you can't find anyplace better than New England in the fall.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:03 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
And would Northerners be as gleeful when spotting the first crocuses of springtime if they hadn't just experienced a long, cold winter?

Nope. My first reaction every spring is - OMG, I feel so "alive" - I survived another winter. It actually is kind of a great feeling.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:09 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But then, would we Southerners be as deleriously happy with the weather in October if we hadn't just emerged from a long, hot summer? And would Northerners be as gleeful when spotting the first crocuses of springtime if they hadn't just experienced a long, cold winter?
Why, after 35 years of this AZ "dry heat", why don't I just tough out this 115-deg summer once more, so that when winter comes I will be able to laugh at these people shoveling snow?

Why don't I just keep banging my head against the wall , so that when I stop, I would feel soooo great ?

Why don't people just keep working another year, then another year, and another year, so that when retirement finally comes, they would enjoy and appreciate it more?

Aren't we all a bunch of patient, gratification-delaying LBYM'ers?

Quote:
And yes, I do get your point. I just deline to deal with a black water tank, or to drive and maintain one of those behemoths an RV, just to escape a few weeks per year of "weather tedium".
Seriously, I had reservations about that scary black tank, but after our maiden short trip (and only one so far), found it to be no "big deal", just like other RV'ers have said.

And I thought we are talking months, not weeks of "weather tedium" here. How about also escaping hurricanes and tornadoes?
Old 07-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Why, after 35 years of this AZ "dry heat", why don't I just tough out this 115-deg summer once more, so that when winter comes I will be able to laugh at these people shoveling snow?
You should move to New Orleans! It almost never gets over 100 degrees F, and it never snows enough to worry about shoveling the snow.* See? Your weather problems would be solved. You could sell the RV and settle down.

* Full disclosure: it does get humid here (almost all year long), and then there are the hurricanes... ... and 60"/year rainfall.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:26 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would be very happy with weather like that in April, May, October, and November all year round. No snow or ice, no heat waves, you can keep your windows open a lot, little or no A/C, little or no heat needed (low electric and fuel bills, too). Wear a jacket or sweater outside, light or heavy, no gloves, can cook and bake and be able to vent the heat easily.

My kind of climate. I'd never get bored with daily temps between 45F and 70F.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:27 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

100 deg F with 100% humidity? And I would not sell my RV then. I would need it to escape from hurricanes and flood, no?

No thanks. I would just stay here, and either escape the "dry heat" by going to my other place in AZ, or get "NW-bound" with my RV.

Note: The reason I am not up in my cool place is the repair going on with my main house now, plus I also need to do a bit of w*rk. I have spent a bit of money to "buy, buy, buy" into this market (up to 75% equities now), and need to refill the cash bucket with some earned income.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:43 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post

Absolutely , Nothing is prettier than New England towns in the fall .
Old 07-08-2010, 05:05 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
My kind of climate. I'd never get bored with daily temps between 45F and 70F.
That is my kind of climate also. Here in northern Il, we range from -20 to 100. But it's very seldom between 45 and 70 with low humidity.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I miss thunderstorms. We have one every two years or so, but it's kind of wussy.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:46 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I miss thunderstorms. We have one every two years or so, but it's kind of wussy.
I don't miss them but thunderstorms are wonderful nostalgia. Such memories of being put to bed at grandma's in two overstuffed chairs in a room with windows on three sides; her house was on top of a hill above a lake. In places like Phoenix t-storms are practically a tourist draw; I enjoy them as entertainment.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:04 PM   #33

Quote:
Rich, I like different weather conditions too. Variety is the spice of life, after all. How sad it would be to never experience again the gusts of wind and darkness just before a storm, or to never experience again the perfect sunny day?
But you haven't experienced it all. Get up to got to work for a week (or a month) when the temperature stays at 40 below (or more) and rethink you position.

That's why retirees, up here, have discovered airlines.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:43 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
But you haven't experienced it all. Get up to got to work for a week (or a month) when the temperature stays at 40 below (or more) and rethink you position.

That's why retirees, up here, have discovered airlines.

After five or six months of constant 90+ degree days I am ready to hop on an airline and feel the crispness of fall or even see snow .
Old 07-08-2010, 02:15 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Don't you get some pretty good winter storms? I guess they just don't have thunder and lightning?

Audrey
Old 07-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
After five or six months of constant 90+ degree days I am ready to hop on an airline and feel the crispness of fall or even see snow .
WADR, that's a bit different from what I described. The keyword was "below". We have a spare room, come for a visit in January.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:01 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post
I dream of the day that I wake up in the morning, look out the window, see a blizzard.....and not give a damn if it snows for 3 days. I think for that reason alone I will not move after I retire.

Winter used to bother me before I retired. Now I just don't care what the weather does. I have a well stocked pantry and it can snow for days if it wants.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
In places like Phoenix t-storms are practically a tourist draw; I enjoy them as entertainment.
... until your house gets hit by one of those thunderbolts, as what happened to my former boss.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:26 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
WADR, that's a bit different from what I described. The keyword was "below". We have a spare room, come for a visit in January.

Now if you only lived near my daughter ( upstate New York ) we could do a home exchange and both enjoy the change . I would even leave wine chilling in the fridge .
Old 07-09-2010, 02:28 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Now if you only lived near my daughter ( upstate New York ) we could do a home exchange and both enjoy the change . I would even leave wine chilling in the fridge .
Indeed it's too bad. Most years we'd love a January tropical vacation in upstate New York. I hear it freezes there sometimes.