Weather in Retirement...

Why, after 35 years of this AZ "dry heat", why don't I just tough out this 115-deg summer once more, so that when winter comes I will be able to laugh at these people shoveling snow?

You should move to New Orleans! It almost never gets over 100 degrees F, and it never snows enough to worry about shoveling the snow.* See? Your weather problems would be solved. You could sell the RV and settle down. ;):D

* Full disclosure: it does get humid here (almost all year long), and then there are the hurricanes... :eek: ... and 60"/year rainfall.

I would be very happy with weather like that in April, May, October, and November all year round. No snow or ice, no heat waves, you can keep your windows open a lot, little or no A/C, little or no heat needed (low electric and fuel bills, too). Wear a jacket or sweater outside, light or heavy, no gloves, can cook and bake and be able to vent the heat easily.

My kind of climate. I'd never get bored with daily temps between 45F and 70F.

100 deg F with 100% humidity? And I would not sell my RV then. I would need it to escape from hurricanes and flood, no?

No thanks. I would just stay here, and either escape the "dry heat" by going to my other place in AZ, or get "NW-bound" with my RV. :dance:

Note: The reason I am not up in my cool place is the repair going on with my main house now, plus I also need to do a bit of w*rk. I have spent a bit of money to "buy, buy, buy" into this market (up to 75% equities now), and need to refill the cash bucket with some earned income.

I miss thunderstorms. We have one every two years or so, but it's kind of wussy.

I miss thunderstorms. We have one every two years or so, but it's kind of wussy.

I don't miss them but thunderstorms are wonderful nostalgia. Such memories of being put to bed at grandma's in two overstuffed chairs in a room with windows on three sides; her house was on top of a hill above a lake. In places like Phoenix t-storms are practically a tourist draw; I enjoy them as entertainment.

Rich, I like different weather conditions too. Variety is the spice of life, after all. How sad it would be to never experience again the gusts of wind and darkness just before a storm, or to never experience again the perfect sunny day?

But you haven't experienced it all. Get up to got to work for a week (or a month) when the temperature stays at 40 below (or more) and rethink you position.:D

That's why retirees, up here, have discovered airlines.

But you haven't experienced it all. Get up to got to work for a week (or a month) when the temperature stays at 40 below (or more) and rethink you position.:D

That's why retirees, up here, have discovered airlines.

After five or six months of constant 90+ degree days I am ready to hop on an airline and feel the crispness of fall or even see snow .

After five or six months of constant 90+ degree days I am ready to hop on an airline and feel the crispness of fall or even see snow .
WADR, that's a bit different from what I described. The keyword was "below". We have a spare room, come for a visit in January.

I dream of the day that I wake up in the morning, look out the window, see a blizzard.....and not give a damn if it snows for 3 days. I think for that reason alone I will not move after I retire. :D

Well, that and you can't find anyplace better than New England in the fall.
Winter used to bother me before I retired. Now I just don't care what the weather does. I have a well stocked pantry and it can snow for days if it wants.

In places like Phoenix t-storms are practically a tourist draw; I enjoy them as entertainment.
... until your house gets hit by one of those thunderbolts, as what happened to my former boss. :nonono:

WADR, that's a bit different from what I described. The keyword was "below". We have a spare room, come for a visit in January.

Now if you only lived near my daughter ( upstate New York ) we could do a home exchange and both enjoy the change . I would even leave wine chilling in the fridge .:)

Now if you only lived near my daughter ( upstate New York ) we could do a home exchange and both enjoy the change . I would even leave wine chilling in the fridge .:)
Indeed it's too bad. Most years we'd love a January tropical vacation in upstate New York. I hear it freezes there sometimes.:D

Back
Top Bottom